Learning Japanese - Useful resources

Down

About two weeks ago, I finished the RTK book, and just today, I finished Tae Kim's grammar guide. Now, what I want to do, I to get me some vocabulary, which I lack. So I want to ask if there's any website out there with vocabulary mnemonics, since I just can't make them on my own. For RTK I had to use Koohii stories, but still proved effective.

いる+ある usage

I have this fill in the blank assignment, I need to use either/or to complete the sentence. Then I translate it. This sentence seems like I could fill in either verb though, depending how I translate it into English.

Here's the given incomplete sentence: Nihongo no kurasu wa maishuu getsuyoubi to suiyoubi ni.

I translated into English as "I have Japanese class every Monday and Wednesday" and I used the verb form imasu because of the animate thing, "I have."

The book's answer however was "My Japanese class is every Monday and Wednesday," and it used arimasu to describe the inanimate, "class."

Was I completely wrong in the first sentence?

いる+ある usage

I have this fill in the blank assignment, I need to use either/or to complete the sentence. Then I translate it. This sentence seems like I could fill in either verb though, depending how I translate it into English.

Here's the given incomplete sentence: Nihongo no kurasu wa maishuu getsuyoubi to suiyoubi ni.

I translated into English as "I have Japanese class every Monday and Wednesday" and I used the verb form imasu because of the animate thing, "I have."

The book's answer however was "My Japanese class is every Monday and Wednesday," and it used arimasu to describe the inanimate, "class."

Was I completely wrong in the first sentence?

Typo :P

How dare you give misinformation to people learning Japanese.

Anyway, thanks for the help you two :). I also looked back in the chapter and there were some information I overlooked that matched up with what you guys explained. Sorta. It has a slightly different idea of what's alive and what not, or maybe I'm just interpreting it different once again. 

Some japanese words are quite intriguing, but maybe that's just me.

For instance 正月, even though it uses the character for "month" (and I checked that it also can mean January), the main meaning it holds it that of "New Year". I find that quite curious. ^_^

It doesn't really "mean" January, more like, it falls on January.  See, Japan didn't always use our Gregorian calendar.

Shougatsu was the first month of the year in old Japan.  It coincided with the Chinese New Year (no surprise there).  In modern Japan, they changed to celebrating our New Year's Day (on January 1st).  But they still call it Shougatsu.

Well, anyway, that's why 正月 means New Year's

• 2 weeks later...

Adding my "John 117's guide on learning Japanese for playing Eroge and Galge"

link = https://forums.fuwanovel.net/index.php?/topic/6716-john117%E2%80%99s-guide-on-learning-japanese-for-playing-eroge-and-galge/

It got lots of tips and learning tactics on Japanese. The guide use native Japanese resources to learn Japanese and serious self learning. Please do visit the topic and if you have any questions on Japanese learning just comment over there, maybe I can be of help.