Da Capo III Fan Translation at 34%!

Look. people hate me already

https://twitter.com/TakuyaFM/status/267826078029078528

this is the very attitude that disgusts me.

that fan translation is not justified. we need to take a step back from commercial expansion.

it's tyranny of the mind. treading all over people's freedom of expression for fear of infringing these de jure monopolies. (and they sell monopoly like its property now. wow.)

Fan translators. DO NOT apologize for your own free speech. Do not apologize for making the world a better place.

Well as I always say, haters gonna hate. There is just too much argument about this so I'm not going to start, but I'll just say that those people have a really closed mind. As Ryoji said, we support you all the way Aaeru, so keep on doing what you are doing~

Aaeru, you don't need to worry about the patch creation, we've discussed it before with Jichi and it should be straightforward to get an export. When we have some time we can find out exactly how many lines there are.

As for the haters... just ignore them and keep this in mind:

You don't get to 500 million friends without making a few enemies.

I don't think they'll want to come to this forum but if they do they're going to encounter a lot of resistance.

We support you too. Persevere! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a little chat showing why mangagamer don't have lost interest in DCIII.

<RussoTuristo> DS was doomed the moment people learned about Chou

<Kouryuu> RussoTuristo: I'm still a little mad at Overdrive about Chou because of that <_<;

<Doddler> might have been able to salvage the chou situation if you talked more about how that might go down but yeah, it was pretty bad

<Kouryuu> Doddler: The problem is that OVERDRIVE announced Chou while we were in the middle of work on Dengeki

<Kouryuu> so we had absolutely no idea of how it was going to go down until recently

<Doddler> ah, I just mean, the biggest fear that people had was they would have to buy it again when chou came out

<Kouryuu> I know.

<Kouryuu> that fear is one of the major reasons we haven't looked at Da Capo III yet

<RussoTuristo> The widespread belief is that DS is "unfinished" somehow, though that's not exactly the case.

<Kouryuu> after all the bitching and moaning over Da Capo 1 and 2's expanded version

<RussoTuristo> Or rather, not the case at all

<Kouryuu> we'd honestly prefer to know that Circus is *done* expanding DC3 before we look at approaching it

<Kouryuu> (though the we I use here is "we staff members" not "we mangagamer")

<Yirba> Yes, I think it's kinda likely that they'll release more versions of Da Capo III.

<RussoTuristo> Circus will milk it for years, so...

<Kouryuu> it's practically guaranteed that DC3 will have an expanded Plus something version

<Kouryuu> the question is when, and when will they stop expanding it.

<Yirba> Not sure if they'll actually do the 18+ version that people think they will, but I'm still doubtful as to whether it's "complete".

<Kouryuu> fan discs are one thing

<Kouryuu> but as DC and Dengeki show--the west doesn't like games getting expanded

<Kouryuu> and we know all the Da Capo fans actually buying the Da Capo series would rather wait for the full version than buy it three times

<Yirba> And there's always the problem that Da Capo III is having a fan translation… (>_>)

<Kouryuu> Yirba: right... I wish Aaeru wouldn't do that...

I don't think it's worth translating it¹, since it will eventually (depends on Circus) get out. (and after people may bitch about getting like the "ef" case) And in fact, if you release your translation, they may really drop the idea.

¹: you still can continue if you need to improve your Japanese or translation skills. :P

text

Well, I don't have anything against mangagamer but even if they have intrest in it. It will take quite some time before they will get a deal. translate it, bug fix, wait for japanese creators then release it.

Even more so when they got so bad sales on the pervious DC. Why wait for a probably translation in the future, if someone is willing to 100% translate it now?

• 4 weeks later...

sorry ive been away for a while, been wrestling with some health conditions. i'm back now. i'll get back to translating soon. (busy with setting up the blog atm)

Also it doesn't matter whether mangagamer has interest or not, that's not even the point.

they have a monopoly on the selling and translating of a piece of work granted to them by their government. They can use this to kill off any competitors who dare to compete against them.

You can't tell a Star Wars story. You can't shoot a Star Wars film, because they have a monopoly. These things are monopoly privileges. One of the easiest ways to identify fake rights from real human rights is that, fake rights can be traded away for money. You can sign your copyright away. Real rights you cannot.

what kouryuu is upset about, is that they might have competition. they're scared because they don't know how to compete against a fan translation scene which when at full potential, is 5x faster and 5x more efficient (at getting money to JP devs) than them. (http://theoatmeal.com/blog/tesla_museum_1m) of course, this sounds like nonsense to them. only very few people in the world can stand back from their societal upbringing and think about and understand the world for themselves. most people will take the institutions that exist from the day they are born, and take it for truth. "This is just how it is!" I was the same just 14 months ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the translation work your doing, it does go faster than the red tape and other bull "official" channels go through. Unfortunatly, its an unthankful job to translate multimedia, as the only real proof ends up being in your server dl's, which you'll not have using VNT, since it is a cloud network setup.

Ignore the trash that spew shit they know nothing about, ban them from viewing your accounts or following your twitter. I hasten to warn you about public announcements though. Twitter and the like are easily abused, and red targets are often painted on peoples digital backs by folks like them. So, though its rude to say, just be careful for your own sake.

So, D.C. III is being translated already...and I just resumed playing D.C. I (actually D.C.P.C.) in earnest a few days ago. (I had bought it ages ago from a site called Himeya which is gone now). So as you can see, I'm 2 whole games behind! There are many routes to cover. And then there is still D.C.A.S. after that...

And every time somebody brings up Mangagamer, Da Capo, and pro translations vs. fan translations, I have to say the following: I read about the first 2 in-game days worth of their D.C. And it's lacking something. The game is better than that, I think. It's written better. The original game has a fairly colorful narrative. Lots of stretched metaphors, that sort of thing. But the narration in the MG version is stiff, kind of awkward. Seems simplified, condensed. As if their English was too shaky, or they didn't want to put the thought into carrying over the nuances that make it humorous. I'm just saying. Sorry if I seem obsessive: I'm perfectly aware that we're talking about Da Capo, not War and Peace, Little Women, David Copperfield, etc...

Wow. this really pump things up.

I really want to play this . . .

Thnx for your hard work .

btw, on April 2013, Da Capo III R will be realease, do you think it will be easy to translate it if ever you finished Da capo III?

I mean some of the lines will be the same right?

just some additional lines (and maybe new heroines)

what do you think?

Guest madoka12345

Can just move all translations from vanilla D.C.III v1.3 to X-rated instead. Very easy to do, it takes 5 minutes.

That sentence made no sense whatsoever, I am trying to interpret it as bad sarcasm?

Also vanilla is HAPPY SEX, there so no sex in this so it should be "G-Rated".......

not sure what i said that was wrong....

replace the word vanilla with 'original D.C.III' ?

u must be thinking of vanilla sex or something... but i still dont get why that would upset...?