Problems with Installing Windows 8.1 Onto a New Station

Mevvrynne

So a client of mine wanted me to build him a computer and whatnot.  Everything is connected and for some goddamn reason, this disc for Windows 8.1 64 bit OEM edition does not want to install.

It manages to go through the product key verification and copies the files onto the drive, but on the installation screen it just freezes on the "Getting devices ready" part.  I even tried to let it install overnight and it didn't move one bit after 4 hours.

I'm currently on my third attempt at installing it but it has only gotten worse, where the previous freezes were at least 30% and then 14% (first and second attempt respectively), where this third time it doesn't even have a percentage on how much it has completed.

I've never had this happen with installing an Operating System onto a computer.

The specifications for this computer specifically:

Motherboard:  MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD

CPU:  AMD FX-4350 Vishera 4.2GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Quad-Core 

HDD:  Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

SSD (This is where I'm installing Windows):  Kingston Digital 120GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5 (7mm height)

GPU:  ASUS R9270-DC2OC-2GD5 Radeon R9 270 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP 

PSU:  CORSAIR HX series HX650 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI 

Cooler:  CORSAIR Hydro Series H80i High Performance Water/Liquid CPU Cooler. 120mm

Case:  Rosewill R5 Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Case, comes with 2 x front fans, Fan Controller, USB2.0 & USB3.0 front ports

Well, after looking at the first few google results looks like some people have solved this by disabling onboard devices such as nic or audio in BIOS. Windows tries to install a driver for these and it gets stuck if there is no w8.1 driver.

Some have solved it with a BIOS update.

Probably not going to be the case, but have you tried changing the SATA cable?... Getting devices ready sounds like something different though.]

This thread might be relevant - the BIOS should be a main suspect, as it's responsible for coordinating external devices as far as I know. http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/11200-windows-8-installation-freezes-fails.html

Well, after looking at the first few google results looks like some people have solved this by disabling onboard devices such as nic or audio in BIOS. Windows tries to install a driver for these and it gets stuck if there is no w8.1 driver.

Some have solved it with a BIOS update.

Disabling the LAN and Audio controller did not solve it, once I get a wired connection running to this I'll try a BIOS update.

You could put windows 8.1 on a flashdrive and install it from there. WinToFlash I've found good before for that use.

Trying this now, but I don't see how this would solve it exactly.  The files from the disc are being copied to the drive every time, but it's freezing as it gets the devices ready.

Also: Unplug the second hard drive and CD/DVD drive during installation as well , whatever is sitting on SATA - it has been known to cause problems in 8 already, and this was the fix.

Well to comment on the previous thought as well on using a USB flash drive, it didn't work, I used 3 different drives on ports that all worked, the BIOS didn't detect the software.

So now I need to keep the CD/DVD drive plugged in and use the disc normally.  I will try unplugging the HDD and attempt once more.

Now in the event of this not working, I've been researching it and for the most part it's about updating the BIOS somehow, and as far as I know, the only way to update the BIOS on this board is to install Winki and flash the BIOS, which is something I am always horrified of doing.  Is there another reliable way of updating the BIOS?

The problem has been resolved, and for completely bullshit reasons I could have avoided.  I was using a very old NIC for a wireless connection, turns out that the card was causing the computer to freeze.  

After removing it and completing the installation, I put it back in only for it to freeze at the login screen.

Went down to best buy and bought a wireless USB adapter, works perfectly fine now.

Thank you to everyone who gave me suggestions, I really appreciate it, and you may all laugh at how horrible I am at troubleshooting.