Saddest moments in an Anime

Nosebleed

Grave of the Fireflies. First time I cried in front of an animated movie (and not the last!)

Clannad after Story:

Nagisa's death (even though she lives after).

Madoka Magica:

Madoka's ultimate sacrifice after all the times Homura tried to save her.

Pokemon season 1:

Bye, Bye, Butterfree (Season 1)

When Ash let go his butterfree to live with its girlfriend.

Pikachu's Goodbye (Season 1)

Almost the same thing, when Ash want to let Pikachu live with the wild Pilachus, even though he's really attached to it..

EDIT: I know I must be the only one to have watched it, but also the end of  the Sea prince and the fire child:

Shirius die, his girlfriend Marta suicides herself just after and their parents send their bodies in the sky to find the star in which they can live together forever...

http://www.nicozon.net/watch/sm9733079

I don't think of any others for the moment ^^

For me it was the ... 

sex scene in White Album 2. They loved each other so much but instead of it being a sign of them getting together it was a sign of them accepting each other and coming apart. Every-time I hear the OST I tear up.

or 

In Mirrai Nikki when Yuno says she doesn't really love him when he is trapped inside the dream world, and that she would cling on to anyone that let her. That made me cry big time....

orrrrr 

Guilty Crown. I loved Inori and Shu so much and when she died and he lost his vision and could only imagine her... such sad such tears

i don't have that much of experience in animes and i can be easily crushed by sad moments.

So first one : FullMetal Alchemist : brotherhood.

The "too soon" incident, you are just here, watching some epic action and pretty good drama and then, episode 4, Al and Ed are visiting a famous alchemist, he had a pretty young girl...5 minutes after that... Why too soon? i was taken by surprise, generaly strong drama episodes are situated at the end, are well prepared, not there.

Steins;Gate (you can also count it for VN)

Mayuri's chain death, first of all, her death was so sudden, i was so attached to mayushii* that her death felt horribly terrible.

I felt worse when i realised that would be her first death, so began my downfall in the feel ladder. *sob*

I'll try to remember more sad moments (even if  hate to remember sad moments).

A lot of these are pretty sad... However I want to add one from myself;yourself.

However I have yet to cry to an anime. :|

Glad to see someone post this more obscure anime. That whole 2nd half I would put up there as some of the saddest things I've seen in anime.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Anohana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T13dkcZheqw

Glad to see someone post this more obscure anime. That whole 2nd half I would put up there as some of the saddest things I've seen in anime.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Anohana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T13dkcZheqw

I really love Anohana, however I didn't find it that sad. I was crying at the end sure but only because of how happy I was. Everyone got to be friends again and I can assume that they began dating as well. Menma brought them all back together and it was just a beautiful story.

I really love Anohana, however I didn't find it that sad. I was crying at the end sure but only because of how happy I was. Everyone got to be friends again and I can assume that they began dating as well. Menma brought them all back together and it was just a beautiful story.

Well, if viewed from another perspective, it's a final goodbye. That's how I personally saw it. It's a mixture of different feels so masterfully put together.

Another anime scene I found sad was from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S:

Specifically the episode where they showed the first clone die. Hit me emotionally.

I think everything I was going to say has been brought up. The end of Angel Beats!, The entirety of Grave of the Fireflies.

Even one I would have forgotten, the end of Ano Natsu de Matteru.

I guess I didn't add any new ones. Just agreed with everyone else. heheh

long live K-on!

long live K-On!

Grave of the Fireflies. First time I cried in front of an animated movie (and not the last!)

Clannad after Story:

Nagisa's death (even though she lives after).

Madoka Magica:

Madoka's ultimate sacrifice after all the times Homura tried to save her.

Pokemon season 1:

Bye, Bye, Butterfree (Season 1)

When Ash let go his butterfree to live with its girlfriend.

Pikachu's Goodbye (Season 1)

Almost the same thing, when Ash want to let Pikachu live with the wild Pilachus, even though he's really attached to it..

I don't think of any others for the moment ^^

Totally agree with all of them. Pokemon S1 had alot of touchy moments T-T I like that season the best :/

Clannad.

I'm a crier. When I see a character I love die I shed some tears. But I have never EVER cried harder in my life than when

Nagisa died.

Thanks to that, I feel I'm more prone to crying.

Also Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai had a pretty sad moment.

There's also Ano Natsu de Matteru. What makes it more sad that at the end when

they're being separated Kaito says "I'll come find you" and both of them know its impossible but they say they'll see eachother again anyways..

All of my saddest moments have been brought up, but what did I expect? To shed man tears is no easy feat, it has to be truly sad.

My top one has to probably be Angel Beats though. I just sat there, tears rolling down my cheeks, for like 15min after the last episode.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sakanaとkoeda
Steins;Gate (you can also count it for VN)

Mayuri's chain death, first of all, her death was so sudden, i was so attached to mayushii* that her death felt horribly terrible.

I felt worse when i realised that would be her first death, so began my downfall in the feel ladder. *sob*

私も

For me, it was probably Kurisu's fate that hit hardest. I think it was how she had to force herself to accept the fact that she had to die to save Mayuri, but, only the one she was starting to love, Okabe would truly remember her.

He would go on to live in a world that spares his childhood friend, but he would permanently lose his love. And no one else would ever understand or know their struggle.

I didn't cry, but it lingered and haunted me for quite a while.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Miki Sayaka's very existence

Ironically, despite being a huge Sayaka fan, I just didn't 'cry' all that much during her arc. I felt downright terrible and fell into a pit of despair, sure, but no tears.

That said, being an emotional person myself, I find myself crying a lot of times watching anime. Unfortunately, I can't really recall the many times I did cry... Normally, after crying at a scene, I'd soon forget about it unless it's impacted me very significantly. For example, Clannad ~After Story~. Being one of the first anime I've ever watched, it was no wonder that I cried as hard as I did at episode 23, because I wasn't used to that kind of heaviness yet. Also the first season of Clannad. The end of Fuuko's arc brought manly tears to many people everywhere, including myself, especially during that moment when Tomoya and Nagisa realizes that they had forgotten about her.

- Another time I possibly cried was probably Saikano, during Akemi's final scene.

- I think I cried for Envy in FMA: Brotherhood. Oh yeah, and that dog-girl scene in the early episodes of the series...

- I might have cried several times in Digimon Adventure when I was a kid... and a couple more times as a teenager. Whamon's passing was heart-wrecking. The biggest tearjerker moment for me though has to be episode 21, when Taichi was forced to leave Hikari. That parting scene was brutal.

- Pokemon too; the older episodes anyway. Oh, and that "First Movie," when Ash tried to stop Mew and Mew-Two's fighting.

- Air. 'Nuff said. "Goal!"

- Fairy Tail. This is one of those utsuge-type anime that probably won't make intelligent people cry, but will make emotional people like me cry a lot... but even that got stale after a while.

- Ironically, I didn't cry watching some of the more obvious tearjerkers mentioned above, like Grave of the Fireflies and Ano Hara (which totally flew over my head).