Saddest VN moment?

Isaac

Little Busters!

When the original Little Busters members, one by one, say farewell to Riki and then leave. That was the saddest moment I've ever witnessed.

Pretty much what this guy with an awesome signature said.

Also, the end of Umineko Chiru. That was really emotional.

From the three VNs that I've read:

Rewrite

Kotori's route:

When Chibimoth died.

Little Busters!

Mio's route:

When Mio came back and said, "I'm the Nishizono Mio who loves you." It was a combination of a bunch of moments in that ending.

Refrain:

Kengo's farewell.

Umineko

Episode 2:

When Rosa and Maria fought the goats.

Episode 3:

Oh gosh, this episode. I bawled so hard so many times. When Eva was finally crowned the Golden Witch. When Rudolph and Kyrie were murdered. When Beatrice sacrificed herself for Jessica and Kanon, and Kanon vowed to stay with Jessica until the end.

Episode 4:

When Ange denied the Seven Stakes and Sakutarou.

Episode 8:

When Bern said that she had no friends. Okay, just kidding. I laughed so hard that I fell out of my chair.

Oh, and I guess Phoenix Wright counts as well.

Trials and Tribulations:

When Phoenix said to Iris, "Even when Dahlia Hawthorne was captured... I always believed in you."

For context, I struggle very hard to control my emotions and as such actively try to avoid getting a bad ending whenver possible because I can't handle the absolute sorrow some of them bring forth.

Kira☆Kira

When Kirari dies.

I absolutely couldn't stand this, I was a wreck after witnessing this so much that I never read another VN for an entire MONTH. I hated that I was forced to watch it first, even though I made no bad choices but "you have to see the bad ending first before you can even unlock the good ending" which I feel is complete garbage. I'm so thankful that I chose to do her route last, because I don't know how I would have coped having that cliffhanger and then having to go through 2 more routes before even being able to read the conclusion. I skipped through almost the entirety of the "bad ending afterstory".

Yume Miru Kusuri

Mizuki's Bad Ending.

This was one of the first VN's I ever played and I wasn't great at knowing picking the right choices blindly, I accidently stumbled upon this bad ending and I was not emotionally prepared for what transpired. Her sudden dissappearnace and the protagonist spending all that time trying to find her only to find out that she was pregnant and died during childbirth...... Too much feels.

Hoshizora No Memoria

When Mare sacrifices herself to save Yume.

Maji de Watashi ni Koishinasai!

When Wanko fails her test and thus loses her dream.

In CLANNAD.

At the end of the After Story, where misfortune befalls Tomoya and Nagisa.

I'm not sure if it's actually the saddest, or whether I was just more emotionally vulnerable at the time, but that seriously made me depressed. There have been other moments for me, like in Little Busters!:

Actually, there were a lot of sad moments in Little Busters!, but the one the most memorable for me is when Mio tries to switch places, permanently, with Midori. It just gave me that terribly helpless feeling.

And in Rewrite. And in G-Senjou no Maou. And in Grisaia no Kajitsu. And in Hoshizora no Memoria. And Katawa Shoujo.

The other VNs that I've played don't have any moments that made be genuinely, truly sad, that I can remember.

Little Busters! Mio's route:

When Mio came back and said, "I'm the Nishizono Mio who loves you." It was a combination of a bunch of moments in that ending.

Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations:

When Phoenix said to Iris, "Even when Dahlia Hawthorne was captured... I always believed in you."

Those aren't actually sad. Touching, yes, but not actually sad. Tears aren't just for sorrow, you know!

Also, the end of Umineko Chiru. That was REALLY emotional.

Muv-luv Alternative:

After Takeru returns from destroying the original Hive and he discovers that Sumika dies. That and then returning to the classroom and watching him tear up when he sees everyone again just broke all the dams in the eyes.

+1, Umineko definitely has my most favourite ending.

Some additions:

ef - a fairy tale of the two.

The entire last segment of it. I mean sure, the VN as a whole has a bunch of sad and emotional scenes in it, but holy shit... the church scene where Yuuko crawls in after getting hit by the car. She gets down to pray. Good. Lord. So many tears. And everything after that scene too, with Yuu and Yuuko in the church for example. Yuu (AND THE READER) accepting the fact that Yuuko died. What a great ending to a beautiful VN.

Danganronpa

Chapter 4 and its trial. Oogami ended up being one of the better and more memorable characters in there because of it. Chapter 2 was quite sad as well, with Oowada and Fujisaki. In general I think Danganronpa has more sad elements to it than most people would normally expect from it.

Higurashi Kai

Rena and the club members at the junkyard in arc 6 (Tsumihoroboshi-hen). Rena admitting what she has done and says some really sad things about the nature of friends and friendship, etc. etc. Goddamn...

Note however that this scene is only really THAT emotional in the VN and manga versions of Higurashi. I've seen the anime one and wow, it's pathetic in comparison. Trust me. If you don't believe me, then check out the VN/manga version of this particular scene yourself and you'll see.

There's other stuff of course but much of it has been mentioned already.

well there have been many but the top three for me would be 

Grisaia no Kajitsu

in makinas bad end where shes pregnant and taken over as yuujis replacemnt and went all bat shit and talking lovingly to the trash bag conatining his dead body

tomoyo afters good ending

and 

hanakos good ending from katawa shoujo

i've to add this

ever17:

Tsugumi's 'good' ending when we thought everything was alright in the submarine then suddenly boom i've to sacrifice myself to save her,i thought i reached her good ending so wasnt expecting that AT ALL :/ that was worse than the bad ending where all died for me

Cross Channel:

well the whole thing really(someone like Taichi who has no conscience was acting so human) and esp when his past with Youko was revealed and all the things he did in his final week at the alternate dimension he created. well sorry for being vague but the whole thing was really....sad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Aaaaand just finished Sharin no Kuni, and another contender for Saddest VN moment goes tooooo:

Touka's bad end for being 100% depressing. There is just absolutely nothing redeeming at all about it. No sad-but-happy, no sad-but-hopeful, just sad. Really, really sad. And kind of repulsive. So yeah. Awesome. But sad.

Little Busters!

In Refrain when Kyousuke finally breaks into tears.

So much this. That whole scene was pure awesomeness, and that synced BGM... oh man it gets me even now.

Most of the VNs have various sad moments that make me tear up, but Clannad definitely had the most of them. If I don't count After Story, Fuko's route got to me the most, for some reason.

I kept wanting to post here, but forgot.

First prize goes to Clannad

I cried pretty much from the point Nagisa died to the very end, plus Tomoyo's and Fuuko's routes were sad

Little Busters

Kud's route, Komari's route, Rin's route and Refrain

Katawa Shoujo

Every route except Shizune's

CrossChannel

When Taichi starts sending everyone back and when Youko almost traps him

Kanon

Mainly Ayu's route but the rest were sad too

Narcissu

Can there be any doubts?

Planetarian

Again, obvious

Steins;Gate

Poor Mayushi 

:(

Symphonic Rain

Lise's route and Al Fine

Rewrite

Every route except Chihaya's

Muv-Luv

That moment when you realize whose brain is floating in the tube

Higurashi

When people start dying and when you get to see things from Rika's perspective

Kana Imouto

Yet again, obvious

Umineko

People dying seems to be a weakness of mine, makes me sad

AIR

Pretty much the most bittersweet KEY VN, if memory server

Grisaia no Kajitsu

Sachi's and Amane's routes

Da Capo 2

Anzu and the sisters

Okay, I'll stop now, even though I have a few more I could list  :P

I may or may not be a bit emotional.

Phantom of inferno

no matter the route one at least one of the awesome main heroines dies, the way that Claudia dies in her alternative ending its quite sad

Senjou no maou

haru ending

Muvluv Alternative

that part near the ending when each heroine dies one after the other

Virtue Last Reward

Luna ending so sad

• 4 months later...

One of the reasons I love VN's is because the potential level of feels is that much greater than most other pieces of media. The only show, film, game or anime that has made me cry instead of just giving me a dead stomach has been the visual novel for Little Busters!

My heart just died during most of the character routes to refrain, the route of Haruka when she is finally able to communicate with her sister without a mask to the farewell of Kurugaya. Then you have the farewell of the boys and girls.

Here are a few I don't think people have mentioned...

Muv Luv Alternative

The moment when Meiya finally tells Takeru how she feels and her death. Heck, almost all the deaths in Muv Luv Alternative had meaning.

Rewrite

I might one of a few people but the end of the true route where Kotarou finally feels like has accomplished something with his life. This and Shizuru's farewell.

Ever 17

The end of Tsugumi's route when you sacrifice yourself.

Grisaia no Kajitsu

Sachi's parents and their wall of feels they made for Sachi's birthday.

Umineko

The end of episode 8

Grisaia no Kajitsu

Pretty much the back stories of all the heroines hit me pretty hard

Muv-Luv Unlimited and Alternative

The things that happen to Meiya and Sumika

Tsukihime

Both endings for Hisui's route and both for Akiha's route