How do I install and play VN?

I am probably going to get stoned to death for asking this but how do I install and play torrented visual novels. I mean I know how to install visual novels that were professionally translated and released but it was a colleague of mine that installed Fate/stay night and Tsukihime with the fan translations.  I have no idea on how to do this.  If someone would be kind enough to provide a tutorial or a link to a tutorial on how to install a visual novel that has not had an English release I would be grateful.  Also I apologize if I am asking in the wrong section.

Most of the torrented visual novels are pre-installed so all you have to do is click the .exe file to start the game. If its not pre-installed, it should come with instructions. There can also be some info below the download button for every visual novel if there is some sort of problem or specific installation or something. 

Problem is that it is all in Japanese and I cannot read it though I have been meaning to take classes to learn Japanese.

Moved & edited title for clarity.

Problem is that it is all in Japanese and I cannot read it though I have been meaning to take classes to learn Japanese.

If it's in japanese then it's not instructions you have to follow.
As said above:
1) If it's pre-patched you only need to click the .exe and you're good to go.
2) If it requires japanese non-unicode set, (it's indicated on the download page) follow this tutorial.

3) If it's not pre-patched (again, it's indicated on the download page) you will have clear instructions in english to follow.

What VN are you talking here? If you can't read it, it probably means it isn't fully translated.

Here is an example of an incomplete project:

34b7a8b3-47d0-4b79-95ef-e2413625ffac.jpg

Here is an example of a complete project:

dc7959bf-d8fe-405b-95d7-866325ee502f.jpg

I just installed it. The visual novel was Walkure Romanze and it has not been translated yet.  But thanks to the posts here I learned that I had to change my system locale to Japanese.  My question now is will I have to keep setting it to Japanese even after the translation patch comes out?

I just installed it. The visual novel was Walkure Romanze and it has not been translated yet.  But thanks to the posts here I learned that I had to change my system locale to Japanese.  My question now is will I have to keep setting it to Japanese even after the translation patch comes out?

Just keep your locale set to japanese unless you absolutely need to change it. It doesn't really affect anything on your computer and it certainly won't make everything Japanese. The only thing in my experience that will change is some setups will change to japanese on installers that do have the Japanese language bundled in there. Even those programs end up installing in English for me. 

Edit: Most VN's only play in Japanese locale since they are written in Japanese unicode ( Please correct me if I'm using the wrong terms.)

Just keep your locale set to japanese unless you absolutely need to change it. It doesn't really affect anything on your computer and it certainly won't make everything Japanese. The only thing in my experience that will change is some setups will change to japanese on installers that do have the Japanese language bundled in there. Even those programs end up installing in English for me. 

Edit: Most VN's only play in Japanese locale since they are written in Japanese unicode ( Please correct me if I'm using the wrong terms.)

So how does this affect a translation patch when it becomes available? Do you just run the patch and it will find the vn and patch it?

Regarding the locale: Setting your system to Japanese locale doesn't affect pretty much anything aside from sometimes your backslash turns into the yen symbol. No you don't have to set it to Japanese every time because when you change it once it stays there. You can go back to your normal locale whenever you want though.

Regarding patching: If a patch comes out it will most likely be an .exe, follow the instructions that come with it to successfully install the patch. The website that makes the patch will most likely give out instructions on how to install it. Usually it just involves finding the directory of the game and running the .exe there or running the .exe and finding the directory from the .exe.