Fuwanovel Magic The Gathering Thread

zhurai

Anyone remember type two storm goblins?
I've never played modern, really. I don't recall it being a thing when I played years ago.

Not a fan of combo decks, they generally win too fast and aren't interactive enough for my tastes.

I need to dictate the game into a perfect gamestate, before initiating the victory: Empty handed opponent, empty board and a full seven in the grip. 

Being a griefer control player feels really good. 

Double post accidentally :D

Anyone remember type two storm goblins?

I've never played modern, really. I don't recall it being a thing when I played years ago.

I didn't play vs empty the warrens in standard, but I sure played (and against) them in Pauper

actually when they banned empty the warrens + grapeshot in pauper it.... RUINED the meta.

fucking control-combo decks. I'd rather lose in 5 minutes than wait for the control-combo decks to fully setup via CloudPost and bounce everything via Temporal Fissure... which generally was like waiting 30+ minutes in a card-game...

It was easy enough researching and knowing which spells to counter to make grapeshot/empty the warrens fizzle anyways, or pressure them to start comboing off prematurely ... so you win.

they are in Modern too, but UR Storm is a fringe deck

I forgot that existed, actually. I did get to make about 10~ cards in my old pc. Maybe I'll actually do this, eventually~

XD

Not a fan of combo decks, they generally win too fast and aren't interactive enough for my tastes.

I need to dictate the game into a perfect gamestate, before initiating the victory: Empty handed opponent, empty board and a full seven in the grip. 

Being a griefer control player feels really good. 

except combo decks are usually the ones that prey on the quicker aggro decks (e.g. burn)

and control decks prey on the combo decks (although this is dependant on having their counterspells)

so honestly if you're playing a control deck in modern/legacy you should have the tools to deal with it.

also the "winning to fast" combo decks are usually ONLY in Legacy (at least preKhans, right now it's all lopsided because of jeskai ascend. combo - I think that combo deck is going to get banned but who knows)

Legacy - Anything goes, T1 wins are possible, meaning board in more hate or counterspells (not more counterspells vs dredge though...), aggro folds to those T1 combos. control at least has FoW (and I'm not complaining because it's part of the game)  

Modern - T4+ windows to win... which gives the chance for burn to counteract it...mainly, pre jeskai combo

then again I wouldn't want to play control because mirrors are a pain with chess clock, and I'd prefer not/ I've sat through several of them because the tourney won't move on until that damn game finished (50 minute clocks for each person on modo)

Well, I don't think these 08/15 matchup-rules are true anymore, since magic became so fast and creatures so good over the last few years.

Control is now able to put down aggro consistently, while midrange decks get a lot of disruption and value creatures to keep up with the control decks permission game. That doesn't mean it's always like this, the stereotypical land and 4 goblin guide hand is still able to steal games in ~3 turns.

Magic became a game, that supports every archetype enough to beat others (granted, you won't see combo decks in standard very often). It all depends on the card pool, deckbuilder, player and sideboard.  

Not that I was complaining about combo decks in the first place, I just don't want to play them myself. 

Anyway, I can't tell a hat from a car in legacy. I'm slowly dipping into modern, but mainly focus on Standard, Limited and Commander.

The biggest reasons I've strayed from mtg in the past years is the ridiculous power-ramping in recent times. Two summers ago a friend and I proxied some fun agro decks to play each other with and we were both blown away  by how prevalent absurdly powerful and cost-efficient 2-drop creatures are, most of them 'new' (by my standards). And then there's the fact that prices are going up and up. Back in Ravnica and Kamigawa, the biggest, baddest, most expensive cards in a set were $20~. Then tarmagoyf came out and Jace and blah blah blah (stopped caring when type two cards started regularly hitting above that $30 mark). At least that's my impression of how things worked out. And I'm not a fan of the changes they made to legendaries. Oh, and dont get me started on how dumb Planeswalkers are (imo) ~rages softly

But Zhurai is right, type two combo decks arent really what you imagine when someone says combo. storm goblins was hardly gimpy, but I do agree that legacy combo decks are unfortunate in that they are much more fun for the person playing them than the person playing against them. No one wants to play casuals against 12 post for tens of matches (sad day), and it's even worse for something like dredge or painter's servant, which basically live on an island. Goldfish every day

Well, I don't think these 08/15 matchup-rules are true anymore, since magic became so fast and creatures so good over the last few years.

Control is now able to put down aggro consistently, while midrange decks get a lot of disruption and value creatures to keep up with the control decks permission game. That doesn't mean it's always like this, the stereotypical land and 4 goblin guide hand is still able to steal games in ~3 turns.

Magic became a game, that supports every archetype enough to beat others (granted, you won't see combo decks in standard very often). It all depends on the card pool, deckbuilder, player and sideboard.  

Not that I was complaining about combo decks in the first place, I just don't want to play them myself. 

Anyway, I can't tell a hat from a car in legacy. I'm slowly dipping into modern, but mainly focus on Standard, Limited and Commander.

• 5 months later...

Anyone around here play modern? I've been thinking of getting into it, but I need to find a deck to build. Any advice? I need it to be cheap (read: mono color probably). I don't have any preferences for control vs aggro vs combo. I've been proxying legacy for a while and my favorite decks are merfolk, goblins, and 12post. I do like control, too, though. I'd also like a deck that is good so I can take it to tournaments. Any suggestions?

Not in modern quite yet, but I'm trying. My deck of choice is mono green devotion, because it's cheap, unique and actually trumps the Liliana/Lingering Souls/SiegeRhino decks. I'm having a lot of trouble with Splinter Twin though, it's almost hopeless. I also try to make red/green midrange work.

If you're looking for a nice deck to start, why not https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFc3k_9l59c? It's not that expensive, but it can be expanded into something even better with ease. 

• 1 month later...

Can someone explain the Valakut combo to me?

The idea is that you Scapeshift, say, 10 mountains and 2 Valakuts, into play and they all enter the field at the same time. Because of this, all ten will trigger on each Valakut, not just the last 5. Right?

So if all the mountains are in the process of entering the field ("whenever a mountain enters the battlefield..." - Valakut) at the same time, how come Valakut's ability triggers. It seems to me that if the Valakut is scapeshifted with the mountains and the mountains all enter the field simultaneously, then the Valakuts would enter alongside the mountains and thus they would not be in play for their abilities to activate until the mountains are in played (and thus have already "entered the battlefield").

But my brother was telling me that the ruling is that it's a viable combo. Thoughts?

The Valakut combo work this manner because when Scapeshift resolves this ruling is applied:

603. Handling Triggered Abilities.

603.6d Normally, objects that exist immediately after an event are checked to see if the event matched any trigger conditions. Continuous effects that exist at that time are used to determine what the trigger conditions are and what the objects involved in the event look like. However, some triggered abilities must be treated specially. Leaves-the-battlefield abilities, abilities that trigger when a permanent phases out, abilities that trigger when an object that all players can see is put into a hand or library, abilities that trigger specifically when an object becomes unattached, abilities that trigger when a player loses control of an object, and abilities that trigger when a player planeswalks away from a plane will trigger based on their existence, and the appearance of objects, prior to the event rather than afterward. The game has to “look back in time” to determine if these abilities trigger.

Example: Two creatures are on the battlefield along with an artifact that has the ability “Whenever a creature dies, you gain 1 life.” Someone plays a spell that destroys all artifacts, creatures, and enchantments. The artifact’s ability triggers twice, even though the artifact goes to its owner’s graveyard at the same time as the creatures.

Well I guess that solves it. Now I just have to figure out why they would implement such a counterintuitive rule...

Well, I guess they did such a thing with legendary type cards as well.

Do you agree that the rule seems odd? Why would a dead creature's ability trigger, as far as intuitive cause and effect relationships are concerned? Wasn't intuitiveness the whole point behind the 2010 combat redesign?

1 + 5 = potato

I know nothing about intuitiveness, nor care if it's odd. I like complex interactions that force players to actually read some rules.

Gimme back Damage on stack, Enchant World, Mana Burn and the first Legend Rule.

I think this rule is a good on mechanical standpoint:

-It makes global answers less powerful, adding value to cards which this rule applies;

-Because some abilities only work because of rule 603.6d;

-If I'm not wrong in old days things were not destroyed "at the same time" even with global effects, it's controller chose which one would dies first. It's a refined version of previous idea.