Kendjin

Future VN form  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Future VN Zipped or Not?

• Leave as they are
    • Zip 'em up
    • Multi-RaR(pass)

Dear people of the world,

I come to you today with a post concerning the future of the VNs we will be putting up in the future to come.

As this is a time of transition, I would like a small amount of feedback on the feelings of those who will be downloading and playing the content we will be putting up on the website.

So I ask this of you all, going forward, would you prefer that we zip our releases, leave them as they come, or multi-rar them up?

Honestly the last one is just that for balance.

If you are wondering why you wouldn't just leave them as they are, the reason is this:

If you zip the files up, this means you need to extract them to a directory that is not usually your seeding one, it also means that the extracted files are not constantly "in-use", the idea behind this is that you should be able to avoid read-only errors.

The flip-side of this... if there is an issue with the download, its one file, no matter the size that will need to be re-downloaded.

I look forward to everyone's feelings on this.

--Moved this to the Fuwanovel Improvements Board ~Naomi~

i would say whatever floats your boat but password protected is not an alternativ

and making a Zip with maximum compression will ease att the internet usage by quite a bit

and you will always have a standard zip that always works incase the files get corrupted or such

I'd leave them unzipped since that's what Aaeru did.  In addition, if you zip the game up, and one of your files is corrupted or jacked up, the whole thing is done for in zipped form  ^_^

Didn't aaeru herself start zipping them for the very last torrents?

I think she did indeed do that, now that you mention it.  Can't really remember, since I was pretty well inactive around that time due to personal blah blah blah.

I'd leave them unzipped since that's what Aaeru did.  In addition, if you zip the game up, and one of your files is corrupted or jacked up, the whole thing is done for in zipped form  ^_^

The files were actually originally zip and with Fuwanovel syntax in name :)

Anyways to the discussion:

Benefits of zip: no errors with read-only, no errors with "this file is not from safe publisher" and other kind of UAC and other protection that would otherwise cause problems to the inexperienced user. Also no problems with user not finishing the download completely or antivirus software automatically deleting exe files that come from the internet and whatnot.

Disadvantages of zip: need to redownload as a whole if the archive is corrupted, need to have twice as much space on drive if you want to keep seeding the file (seeding zip while playing the extracted game), it takes little more time to extract.

I wouldn't go with multipart rar archives, that is unnecessary and would cause more problems.

I personally would go back to zip for the reasons mentioned above, which would also ease the technical difficulties section of some topics related to download.

I think the disadvantage of zip having to keep the file is actually beneficial. I personally always make a copy of the file to keep my torrented copy clean of any changed to config files, etc that may occur as I read the vn. In that case, a zip is handy, especially if slightly compressed.

Anyways to the discussion:

Benefits of zip: no errors with read-only, no errors with "this file is not from safe publisher" and other kind of UAC and other protection that would otherwise cause problems to the inexperienced user. Also no problems with user not finishing the download completely or antivirus software automatically deleting exe files that come from the internet and whatnot.

Disadvantages of zip: need to redownload as a whole if the archive is corrupted, need to have twice as much space on drive if you want to keep seeding the file (seeding zip while playing the extracted game), it takes little more time to extract.

I wouldn't go with multipart rar archives, that is unnecessary and would cause more problems.

I personally would go back to zip for the reasons mentioned above, which would also ease the technical difficulties section of some topics related to download.

Everything was said here~

A lot of people forget the read-only thing as well, so I go for zip!

Main argument for zip as well: Everyone with Windows XP upwards can open it, and since this is supposed to be a solution to avoid problems and questions like "how do I even open this?" (remember, the idea of pre-patched is to reach out and help the lowest end of non-tech-savvy users), so this clearly takes the cake in my (hopefully objective and Aaeru-esque) opinion.

I think we should do it in a case-by-case basis. Zipping small releases sounds perfectly fine by me, but I think that for the big downloads, they should keep unzipped. The reason is because a problem with a file will force you to redownload the game, as archer said.

Honestly i don't mind either between .zip or unzipped.

The problems i see with zip is the ones already listed which is file corruption issues and having the need to have double the hard drive  space if you want to seed. If you're a faithful seeder then you will at least send as much as you downloaded, for games 1gb and below that's not a hard task but games with 3gb + it's a bother to be occupying 3gb of your hard drive with files you're not using.

I am however against multiple .rar that just invites trouble in my opinion and will require additional software to open (it's not like it's hard to install 7zip or other programs but simplicity always takes the cake for me)

For a final opinion i think that smaller titles can be zipped since the file size isn't big and having them zipped makes the download faster and the seeding more efficient. For bigger releases like that are 2-7gb then leaving them unzipped is best just for the sake of avoiding technicall difficulties with file corruption. As far as i'm concerned i'll download either zip or unzipped, just not a fan of .rar so whatever floats your boat really.

Zipping would be fine.

Also people need to learn to use their torrent clients to check the integrity of the downloaded files (Force re-check in utorrent, probably something similiar in other clients). It works on zip files just like it does with anything else. It will check the files and re-download the missing/corrupted parts so there is no need to download the whole 7GB zip file again, just check the files and download few MB.

Multi-part doesn't make any sense with torrents and I've seen too many people get confused when they are handed 10 files instead of 1. They will try to extract everything separately and end up breaking things 10 times before getting it to work.

We used to upload them unzipped as you may know, but then the "read-only files" issue popped up. This is because your torrent client won't let you modify a file while you're still seeding it, so the others don't get mixed data. But even when you stop seeding it, you had to change it's properties to make use of them properly. Then we started zipping them, of course checking the files were properly zipped before uploading them and then redownloading to check again to avoid problems. Or at least that was the method we used back then, but I don't see any problem with keep doing it like this.

As long as you name the ZIP/RAR/7z/etc. files with the same naming system as the old files:

[Fuwanovel] Full Game Title Name Thingy ~Deluxe~

The -English- on the end is unnecessary, of course. Pretty sure that's a given by now.

Also, an additional downside to zipping files.  I dread the day.

HOw do I open a rar?!?!

Zipping implies they're in .zip format so there's no need for additional software (unless you're running on windows 2000 or something)

If someone is using a torrent client and downloading torrents i'm 99% sure they know that their computer can open a .zip file automatically since the icon appears as a zipped folder and not as a blank icon.

A lot of people don't trust .rar and 7z means that you'll need to download additional software, i already have 7zip installed so it's not a bother to me but to new users it might be.

I think we should do it in a case-by-case basis. Zipping small releases sounds perfectly fine by me, but I think that for the big downloads, they should keep unzipped. The reason is because a problem with a file will force you to redownload the game, as archer said.

I think this sounds the most reasonable if you're going the zipping route. Multi-rar's would alleviate some of the issues with a single zipped file, but that has a number of other problems associated with it.

I almost want to say just leave it as it is, in spite of read only issues.

• 2 months later...

Yeah. I encountered that too. One of the part files are corrupted and everything was useless even if I checked the keep broken files. 

Leaving it is easy unless zipping it can reduce the file size in the torrent

Good idea. But for me, I don't have problem with the file size as long as I'm downloading it in torrent. Zipped files are beneficial (to me) when DDL-ing, because file size is minimized and it assures you that the files are not virus-infected.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in a country where there's a bandwidth limit per month , so zipping it would be lovely. To prevent errors, then split the archives into 4 parts. I think it's rude to password the files though, I mean the TL team works hard in releasing VN translation to the public..putting passwords is ...imho...an insult.