When do you play VNs?

Clephas

I usually can only play VN's when I'm on break. I have never been able to stick through a VN when I have classes. My work load is kind of volatile, and I might not have much work for a couple of days, and than all of a sudden I need to dedicate all my time and focus on assignments. Not only can't I play VNs when I have lots of work to do, but even when I don't, I know I can't start one because in a couple of days I won't have time to continue it. I also like to read VNs all at once. So if a VN is long I could easily spend my entire week just reading that one and not really doing anything else. So this leaves school breaks to be the only time I can enjoy and read VNs. Thankfully I'm starting a one week break now! :D Not sure what to play yet, currently thinking about Symphonic Rain. 

When I have breaks from school work I like to plow through them as quick as possible, but while classes are still going on I struggle to find time to play them. The best method I have is to have 1-2 sessions per week and play them in huge chunks at night. Best atmosphere is total silence late at night curled up in bed with a laptop. I can easily play 5-6 hours per session, which usually makes me exhausted the next day. Totally worth it though.

Usually I work, exercise and such during the day and use the last few hours before I sleep to read vn's. I find it harder to enjoy vn's as much when I am not tired. Reversed if I am tired it feels like heaven on earth to sit down and read for usually around 3 hours before I go to sleep.

I always try to make it so that, once a week, I can spend half a day reading them. Typically in the afternoon-evening period, for like ~5 hours or so. 

I am more careful with VNs, since last time I read G-senjou I spent whole weekend reading it and that had some bad consequences the next day. ;)

Depends what kind of VN it is. But for the most part, if it's light outside then thats my preference. At night I can't concentrate very well but since I'm working till very late I have no choice but to keep few gallons of coffee near and suck it up. I hate that part of me but thats' how it is. Since days are longer at summer I tend to play a lot then.

I used to play and complete a new game every weekend. Now I play visual novels around once or twice every week or so for about an hour. This is mostly because of how tedious Muv-luv Extra is, I have a feeling I'll be adding a lot more play time to my schedule once I get to Alternative, if it really is as good as the members on here claim.

I'm not saying I'm a procrastinator or anything, but... right before exams, midterms and essays. That is the peak time for me to suddenly be interested. Basically whenever I don't really have free time, too. I tend to play vns in bursts, where I could be utterly enraptured with it one minute and find all the characters, plot and setting annoy me the next. It normally has very little to do with the material, but with my mood at the moment. Therefore, every single vn has a 'pacing problem' with me and it's nearly inevitable. Typically, I play at night, but that's more a matter of when I get free time than preference.

I used to play and complete a new game every weekend. Now I play visual novels around once or twice every week or so for about an hour. This is mostly because of how tedious Muv-luv Extra is, I have a feeling I'll be adding a lot more play time to my schedule once I get to Alternative, if it really is as good as the members on here claim.

lol...  exactly this, and for the same reason.  After Katawa Shoujo, I burned through Steins;Gate, Grisaia no Kajitsu and School Days, but then I hit Ever 17, which I kind of lost steam on after a while, then I completely stalled on Muv-Luv Extra.  I almost want to just give up and pick another VN to play, but I do want to get to Alternative, so I just kind of play for an hour or two a week, then watch some anime or play a game for a bit.

Basically, when I'm enjoying the VN, I sacrifice sleep to get through it.  When I'm not, I...  don't.