[Ongoing] VisualNovelAer Blog

Edit: If you have other suggestions that could go on the blog feel free to say them too. Anything you think is worthy but is not currently being written about.

I was thinking about the possibility of expanding the content to a bit more than a news blog - that's just an idea though. Something like publishing original content. Thoughts on, I don't know, a certain VN-related point, the state of the industry, a presentation of a particular studio, maybe inviting guest writers to advertise a review from time to time.

Just as I posted this above I realized I wasn't really cut for it though, because I don't keep up to date with VN news a lot and I'm not knowledgeable enough on VNs to produce much original content. But that's an idea I would keep in mind.

I was thinking about the possibility of expanding the content to a bit more than a news blog - that's just an idea though. Something like publishing original content. Thoughts on, I don't know, a certain VN-related point, the state of the industry, a presentation of a particular studio, maybe inviting guest writers to advertise a review from time to time.

Just as I posted this above I realized I wasn't really cut for it though, because I don't keep up to date with VN news a lot and I'm not knowledgeable enough on VNs to produce much original content. But that's an idea I would keep in mind.

That's an interesting approach. I know there have been some blog posts about reviews and things like that so that's also a possibility.

I'm mostly into just writing news about VNs, not so much about producing original content. That's why I'm saying the blog is understaffed.

I was given author status when Naomi was still running the blog and after she left there's barely been any new content on it because there wasn't really anyone with time or willingness to invest in original content for it. Since it was kind of left there and I didn't want to make drastic changes to it i sticked with just updating news and translations and took the safer route since I'm not confident in making big changes. But currently in this situation it feels like there isn't really much going on on the blog and that's kind of a shame, it should have a lot more influx and news.

I think I might create a separate thread asking for people's recommendations and maybe people interested in joining. But I want to discuss it with Steve or Tay first.

It's just that the blog is kind of very slow right now because there's few news and no one really posts original content. I'm not confident enough to make original content so I stick with the news but it'd be great if someone else would like to take part.

Even if they are not given author status I have absolutely no problem in posting on their behalf so that's a solution as well.

That's how I feel about the blog at least.

I was actually waiting for this before blogging about it. Thanks for the upload.

Just posted it on the blog and I also added a small update on other patches on the bottom. Post here

Hopefully Koichoco can be added as well as there's been several people asking where to get a copy of the game on facebook and stuff.

Feel free to shoot this down as a stupid idea but I think it would be interesting to have an article in the form of a how to guide for extracting the soundtracks from VN's for those who like the music of one and want to keep it for playback.

Feel free to shoot this down as a stupid idea but I think it would be interesting to have an article in the form of a how to guide for extracting the soundtracks from VN's for those who like the music of one and want to keep it for playback.

I usually look for torrents to get their OST but being able to extract it directly from the VN would be good.

First iimpression: too technical and complicated, not to mention different for every engine. There are tools, but practically all of them are command-line from what I know. I mean, if you're good enough at computers to use them, you could probably find the info with google anyway...

Well, that's me being negative I guess. It's probably possible to make a post about something like http://vn.i-forge.net/tools/#ostealer. To be honest though, usually the extracted files are a mess and have no proper names and tags and stuff, and if not someone's probably done it before (incidentally, check out my symphonic rain .waw rename and tag with someone else's shitty bitrate mp3 version operation here).

Yes, extracting stuff from games is different every time so composing it to a single article is impossible.

However there are websites that specialize on CG extraction and you can lookup what tool to use for what game

for example CG rip diary

old site (for older games) http://haibara-cg-rip.blogspot.com

new site (for newer games) https://haibara4cgrip.wordpress.com/

(however even the newer site is not adding new releases anymore since half of the last year).

But you can always find what tool to use for cg extraction if you just google the name of the game with words like extract, asmodean, westside, crass, extractdata etc.

You can also check the sites of the people making the tools, such as http://asmodean.reverse.net/pages/tools_index.html

Or google will lead you to lists of games in Japanese or chinese like http://blog.ztjal.info/acg/acg-data/galgame-unpack-record-2014-jan-feb that will tell you what to use. (this is for games released in january and february 2014 for example)

Being able to use the tools is different matter entirely, most of the time you need to use command line to use them, you can get basic understanding of what tools there are for example here: http://haibara4cgrip.wordpress.com/my-cg-ripping-tools-v2-7-english/

Many of the tools like westside or asmodean are multiple archive and release new archives with updated tools for new games all the time.

So as you can see, covering this as a single blog post is impossible, if not even whole websites dedicated to it can have all the info needed to extract all games and you need to visit multiple websites just to learn what to do.

I would say that easiest way is to do what I did, just google for specific game you just want extracted or ask people around and you will learn to use that tool for that one game, next time the game requires similar tool, you will know how to use it and all. I mostly extract character sprites of cute characters I see, but once you learn it you can extract anything, music, CGs, char sprites and scripts (however for scenario scripts you then often need more tools to get through the encryption).

So bottom line: extracting stuff from games isn't hard at all with all the good people making the tools, it is just about knowing where to look for the tools - and that can one only learn from experience. So unless you want to start making the tools yourself, just search for tools for your favorite games and you will eventually learn to search and use them all. And praise the people making the tools~

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not fussed about getting it posted on the blog. Just wanted to alert the people on the forums who were interested, but wasn't sure where to post it. Couldn't be bothered starting a new topic for something which wouldn't get many replies, so I thought here was as good a place as any. In hindsight, maybe not the best thread. Do we have a 'news' thread or something on the forums?

• 3 months later...