Winter 2023 Anime Discussion

Dreamysyu

https://www.livechart.me/winter-2023/tv

At first glance, this upcoming season is filled with continuations of the series that I haven't watched and dumb-looking isekais. I almost lost hope for this season, but further down the list there are actually quite a few series that may turn out quite good. And it is also quite crazy that this upcoming season will have not one but three (!) gender-benders, including the gold that is Oniichan wa Oshimai. :sip: Though from time to time this gold seems suspiciously pee-colored.

The reincarnated master of blade anime, on the other hand, may turn out to be pretty dumb. I liked the LN, and it had a pretty interesting world and good fight scenes, but nothing more than that.

The one series I am excited the most about is The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady. From the little I've seen from the LN, it seemed extremely good, with likable characters who had quite a lot of room for development, and it's definitely a good choice for the third villainess anime. It's also yuri where the MC is extremely open about liking girls. 😇 I'll probably try reading the novels first though, so if I get to this anime this season, it will most likely be by the end of it.

Other than that... There's Trails anime, which I won't watch since I'm still at Sky the 3rd. Sugar Apple Fairy Tale seems interesting, and I believe the original light novel is quite well-regarded, but untranslated. There's also another anime based on the novel by the author of Average Abilities. I don't know if I watch this one. I haven't read the novel, and I had some extremely mixed opinions about this author. Average Abilities adaptation was also kind of trash, so...

Edited by Dreamysyu

The season is really heavy on fantasy and isekai, which brings out mixed feelings in me.  I prefer those genres, so that makes me happy, but it also has the effect of dampening enthusiasm amongst Japanese watchers for next season.  I'd much rather have a few high-quality shows than one good show and a bunch of third-rate ones.  

Maou Gakuin's second season is my current obsession, with the continuing Kage no Jitsuryokusha coming in a close second (especially given the cliffhanger of last week's episode).  

My second rank of interests include: Bofuri 2, Vinland Saga 2, Kamitachi ni Hirowareta Otoko 2, and Hyouken no Majutsushi (read the novel, something to look forward to if they didn't botch it).

Third Rank includes: Shinka no Mi 2, Spy Kyoushitsu, Ningen Fushin, Eiyuuou, Nouka (incidentally, this one's LN is huge in Japan, but it is one of those slow-life isekai reincarnation stories, so don't expect a ton of action), Saikyou Onmyouji (this one's WN is pretty good, but I doubt we'll see the best parts before the season is over), Kaiko Sareta Ankoku Heishi (Just like Nouka, this one is pretty popular in jp, but I dunno how well it will transfer), Isekai Hourou Meshi (another slow life isekai, moderate quality in the books, localized LNs), 

Fourth Rank (no real hopes for it): Benriya Saitou ( couldn't get into the LN, maybe the anime will be different), Rougo ni Sonaete, Revenger, Ars no Kyoujuu, Ooyukiumi no Kaina, Trigun Stampede (nostalgia), and Tensei Oujo.

Vinland Saga S2 - While I don't think it is still as good as the manga, it's still a fairly solid anime.

Maou Futekigousha - Kind of got bored of the story already, lol. Dropped the novels, manga, and the anime already. I can't stand an action story with zero tension.

Tokyo Revengers - I got bored while reading the manga and dropped it halfway through, let alone watching the anime.

Bungou Stray Dogs S4 - Hmmm, while the last season was pretty bad, I still like the show and the concept behind it, so I might check it out.

Tomo-chan wa Onna no Ko - This is a fairly popular and decent romcom. It's mainly 4koma format, but the characters really stand out.

Otonari no Tenshi-sama ni Itsunomanika Dame Ningen ni Sareteita Ken - This is one of the hottest LN trending right now, so no surprise it finally got an adaptation. Will probably watch it.

Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka IV: Fuka Shou Yakusai-hen - Danmachi next season, looking forward to it.

Koori Zokusei Danshi to Cool na Douryou Joshi - This one is adapted from a comedy manga that is kind of funny. It was not funny enough for me, so I dropped it though.

Inu ni Nattara Suki na Hito ni Hirowareta. - This one is rather funny, and ecchi manga. But also rather some cringy drama. The MC got turned into a dog and was kept as a pet by the girl he likes.

Eiyuu-ou, Bu wo Kiwameru Tame Tenseisu: Soshite, Sekai Saikyou no Minarai Kishi - this one is a fun LN with a battle-junkie MC who was reincarnated as a female.

Tsundere Akuyaku Reijou Liselotte to Jikkyou no Endou-kun to Kaisetsu no Kobayashi-san - boring LN about villainess and some random high schoolers being able to talk to them from the fourth dimension.

Isekai Nonbiri Nouka - an extremely boring LN about an OP reincarnator farming. If you like watching paint dry, go watch this.

Tensei Oujo to Tensai Reijou no Mahou Kakumei - Finally an interesting isekai adaptation. It's a funny story about a reincarnated princess going berserk in her research for magic and causing all sorts of trouble.

Kaiko sareta Ankoku Heishi (30-dai) no Slow na Second Life - This one is an ok LN about a former soldier from the Demon King's army quitting and starting a new life in the countryside. But his slow life is constantly bothered by events from his past. There are some interesting scenes, but overall rather boring.

Saikyou Onmyouji no Isekai Tenseiki - It's a rather generic Isekai LN, but I'm a sucker for Onmyouji stories. The strongest onmyouji was killed by his disciple and reincarnated into an isekai. The twist is that the hero in this world is similar to his disciple.

The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki - Northern War - adaptation of a famous JRPG game. Game adaptation are often shit though, so I'll ignore it.

Hikari no Ou - Hmm, an LN I haven't read before. It kind of looks interesting, I might check it out.

Ars no Kyojuu - This looks pretty interesting for an anime original, I might also check it out.

Ningen Fushin no Boukensha-tachi ga Sekai wo Sukuu you desu - The novel starts off as fairly interesting, but the plot moves slow as a snail, and I kind of forgot about this as I was reading the WN. It's not bad, but not particularly good either. It has an interesting pessimistic MC, but story is rather meh.

The ones worth checking out this season are: Vinland Saga S2, Danmachi IV, Tomo-chan wa Onna no Ko, Tonari no Tenshi, and Tensei Oujo to Tensai Reijou no Mahou Kakumei.

The others are pending depending on my mood.

Edit: Yes, I've read at least a few chapters to few volumes of all those LN's/WN's.:oyasumi:
Edited by Nemesis

3 hours ago, Nemesis said:

The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki - Northern War - adaptation of a famous JRPG game. Game adaptation are often shit though, so I'll ignore it.

As far as I understand, it's not really an adaptation, but more like a side story. There's still a good chance that it will be trash, of course.

3 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Tsundere Akuyaku Reijou Liselotte to Jikkyou no Endou-kun to Kaisetsu no Kobayashi-san - boring LN about villainess and some random high schoolers being able to talk to them from the fourth dimension.

Yep. I tried reading J-novel pre-pubs for this one, but dropped it after a few parts. I thought it was only me who found it boring.

On 1/4/2023 at 9:33 PM, Nemesis said:

Maou Futekigousha - Kind of got bored of the story already, lol. Dropped the novels, manga, and the anime already. I can't stand an action story with zero tension.

Eiyuu-ou, Bu wo Kiwameru Tame Tenseisu: Soshite, Sekai Saikyou no Minarai Kishi - this one is a fun LN with a battle-junkie MC who was reincarnated as a female.

Isekai Nonbiri Nouka - an extremely boring LN about an OP reincarnator farming. If you like watching paint dry, go watch this.

Kaiko sareta Ankoku Heishi (30-dai) no Slow na Second Life - This one is an ok LN about a former soldier from the Demon King's army quitting and starting a new life in the countryside. But his slow life is constantly bothered by events from his past. There are some interesting scenes, but overall rather boring.

Saikyou Onmyouji no Isekai Tenseiki - It's a rather generic Isekai LN, but I'm a sucker for Onmyouji stories. The strongest onmyouji was killed by his disciple and reincarnated into an isekai. The twist is that the hero in this world is similar to his disciple.

Maou has style and feels but yeah, no real tension since no one can beat the protag or even really get close to it.

Eiyuu-ou is one of like a dozen LN/WN series that have become popular in recent years where a powerful person reincarnates to get away from his responsibilities or forcefully restart his life.  tbh, I thought it wasn't one of the better ones of this type.  I honestly don't understand why they bothered making it into an anime.

Isekai Nonbiri Nouka- Yeah, this series is incredibly slow-paced and the poster boy for the 'slow-life reincarnator/transporter/summoned hero' sub-genre.  Unless you want a ton of SOL iyashikei, it isn't really a great series.

Kaiko Sareta Ankoku Heishi- This one is a pretty fun read so far, but it is also yet another slow-life type.  At first, this genre was fun, but after like the fiftieth one, it started to feel like when I played all those romcom VNs for my blog.

Saikyou Onmyouji- I actually really liked the books.  Well, the ones I got through before I got distracted, anyway.  I thought it was interesting because the protagonist is something of a monster at heart.  I tend to like stories where the protagonist is a little evil but still human.

So, I was dead for like a month and a half, but The Magical Revolution brought me back to life. I was waiting so long for a yuri show that would be genuinely fun and to the point, and holy crap, Anis really does not beat around the bush, she goes straight for the goal. I really hope for like two seasons of this and the romance blooming properly, it will be my dream anime at that point.

Also, what a weird, isekai-filled season. Not sure how much of it I'll end up watching, instead of catching up on my backlog for example, but I'll definitely stick with Reborn to Master the Blade, seems like a really fun, lighthearted show that will benefit a lot from the adaptation into anime.

And then, despite the meh CGI, I was quite impressed with the first two episodes of Nier: Automata. I feel like the authors are fully aware that they won't be able to fully present the complexities of the original, so they focus on showing its emotional impact and tone. The episode two in particular wasn't afraid to give a lot of time to a semi-random side story about the machines, from what I heard taken from some spin-off media and not the game itself, but which was extremely artistic and wonderfully established the moral complexities and cruel nature of the setting. Not sure how easily someone completely unfamiliar with the original would follow (I didn't play it, but I read a lot about its story), but it seems like something even random viewers should appreciate for the creativity and vibes.

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

• 2 months later...