As a VN maker, what kind of tools do you wish you'd have?

Sirus

Hello,

I'm a developer looking for ideas for tools I could work on that could fill a hole in the VN ecosystem.

Has there ever been any tool you'd wish you had while working on your VN, or even before starting work on it, or when it's finished?

It might be anything from a software, a script, a website (ex: a site to find other team members, a script to check grammar, a software to outline your scenario, etc.), for artists, programmers, testers, or any member of the team.

I'm interested in hearing your ideas as detailed as you can, what use case would it fill, how much time it would save you, etc.

I wish there was a place that could offer you VN specific writing prompts, and you could construct scenes using whatever art assets you already have. IE sprites and whatnot.

Sometimes, writing prompts can help get you out of a writer's block but most of the time, those prompts have little to nothing to do with writing a VN. Well, unless your VN is about a time travelling robot lizard fighting a cat demon.

I think some sort of proving ground similar to itch.io, but exclusively for visual novel alphas and betas to help smooth out the rough edges of a project (before moving your game past the point of no return by publishing it on Steam) would be amazing. The playtesting/feedback phase of VNs seems to be incredibly overlooked on the whole, but having a really brutal writer's room/environment specifically devoted to playtesting new VNs would help people prioritize it more and lead to higher quality works as a whole.

Edited by ThePenSword

3 hours ago, grimjiao said:

I wish there was a place that could offer you VN specific writing prompts, and you could construct scenes using whatever art assets you already have. IE sprites and whatnot.

Sometimes, writing prompts can help get you out of a writer's block but most of the time, those prompts have little to nothing to do with writing a VN. Well, unless your VN is about a time travelling robot lizard fighting a cat demon.

I'm not sure I get your idea. I'm looking at writing prompt generator and I can find all kind of theme, from romance to horror. Why doesn't they fit a VN in your opinion?
Same for the asset part, would it automatically create scenes using those assets for you?

1 hour ago, ThePenSword said:

I think some sort of proving ground similar to itch.io, but exclusively for visual novel alphas and betas to help smooth out the rough edges of a project (before moving your game past the point of no return by publishing it on Steam) would be amazing. The playtesting/feedback phase of VNs seems to be incredibly overlooked on the whole, but having a really brutal writer's room/environment specifically devoted to playtesting new VNs would help people prioritize it more and lead to higher quality works as a whole.

That's one of the ideas I had actually, but I wasn't sure because itch is already so big in the scene. What kinds of feature do you think itch is missing specifically to fit this role? Or is it just because finished games are mixed with unfinished ones, so the unfinished ones have lower visibility?
This could be a really interesting idea to develop further, but I need to understand what the added value would be over something like itch, as it would be impossible to compete on the same feature set since the userbase is already so big.

2 minutes ago, Sirus said:

What kinds of feature do you think itch is missing specifically to fit this role? Or is it just because finished games are mixed with unfinished ones, so the unfinished ones have lower visibility?

I think that really is the key factor-- the finished mixing with the unfinished. Not only that, but because itch is a marketplace, everything about the interface is funneled towards the idea of making a sale. Because the goal with this website would be feedback, you potentially have a little bit more freedom in website construction because the goals are inherently different.

On 11/8/2022 at 12:14 AM, Sirus said:

Hello,

I'm a developer looking for ideas for tools I could work on that could fill a hole in the VN ecosystem.

Has there ever been any tool you'd wish you had while working on your VN, or even before starting work on it, or when it's finished?

It might be anything from a software, a script, a website (ex: a site to find other team members, a script to check grammar, a software to outline your scenario, etc.), for artists, programmers, testers, or any member of the team.

I'm interested in hearing your ideas as detailed as you can, what use case would it fill, how much time it would save you, etc.

Fully English KirikiriZ SDK and documentations, essentially enough resources for that engines to create powerful VNs.