Locale Emulator won't run properly in Windows 11

This week I did the upgrade from 10 to 11, and everything has worked great so far, except for Locale Emulator, which I relied on to play a lot of VNs. I've googled around and haven't found the exact problem I'm having; For me, the options still appear in the context menu like usual. However, when I do "Run in Japanese" or with administrator privileges, it just tries to boot up the games normally, without forcing the locale (which you can tell by the bungled characters, or some games not running at all). In LEGUI.exe, I've also toggled "Fake system language", to no effect.

Has anyone run into this issue and figured out a solution? I imagine a lot of people will be using W11 now. I'm hoping someone will have some useful tips. I have yet to try actually changing the system locale. I was gonna leave that to last resort.

Does the control panel still exist in Win11? If so, try to change your computer's locale through there. That's what I do in both Win7 and Win10, and that is enough, usually.

Alternatively, install Ubuntu, Fedora or any other common Linux distros, either on bare metal, or through a virtual machine or Windows Subsystem for Linux, then install Wine in it and run this command from a terminal window:

LC_ALL=ja_JP wine /path/to/the/game's/executable.exe

9 hours ago, skfhfsadjkfnaf said:

This week I did the upgrade from 10 to 11, and everything has worked great so far, except for Locale Emulator, which I relied on to play a lot of VNs. I've googled around and haven't found the exact problem I'm having; For me, the options still appear in the context menu like usual. However, when I do "Run in Japanese" or with administrator privileges, it just tries to boot up the games normally, without forcing the locale (which you can tell by the bungled characters, or some games not running at all). In LEGUI.exe, I've also toggled "Fake system language", to no effect.

Has anyone run into this issue and figured out a solution? I imagine a lot of people will be using W11 now. I'm hoping someone will have some useful tips. I have yet to try actually changing the system locale. I was gonna leave that to last resort.

Why did you upgrade your OS to Windows 11?! That's still a very recent OS and its prone to bugs and some other unforeseen issues along the lines. You should have just stick with Windows 10 since its a little stable now despite the annoying updates coming very now and then.

Windows 11 is not really suitable for gaming at the moment and its only good for doing work related tasks.

The best way to resolved it is to revert back to Windows 10 if you have the option that is.

23 hours ago, Mist Ephemeral said:

Does the control panel still exist in Win11? If so, try to change your computer's locale through there. That's what I do in both Win7 and Win10, and that is enough, usually.

Alternatively, install Ubuntu, Fedora or any other common Linux distros, either on bare metal, or through a virtual machine or Windows Subsystem for Linux, then install Wine in it and run this command from a terminal window:

LC_ALL=ja_JP wine /path/to/the/game's/executable.exe

Yeah, it exists, and functions essentially the same. I just wanted to leave the nuclear option of changing my locale to last resort, since some programs think they know better than you and set the language to your locale's language. Ideally I'd like to just get LE to work again. It seems to work fine for most people, from posts I've seen online, so I thought I'd ask here in case someone knew why mine doesn't.

Update: Tried changing locale and yep, that makes stuff work. But really I'd like to be able to use LE. If anyone finds a possible fix, please let me know!

Edited by skfhfsadjkfnaf

On 11/4/2022 at 2:38 PM, skfhfsadjkfnaf said:

Yeah, it exists, and functions essentially the same. I just wanted to leave the nuclear option of changing my locale to last resort, since some programs think they know better than you and set the language to your locale's language. Ideally I'd like to just get LE to work again. It seems to work fine for most people, from posts I've seen online, so I thought I'd ask here in case someone knew why mine doesn't.

Update: Tried changing locale and yep, that makes stuff work. But really I'd like to be able to use LE. If anyone finds a possible fix, please let me know!

Now that I think of it, isn't it possible to set multiple users on Windows, or even multiple sessions for the same user? Perhaps you could have a secondary user or session with the Japanese locale, while having the main user or session with the usual settings.

• 2 months later...

I had the same problem as yours, basically trying to install Locale Emulator on Windows 11 but when clicking on the LEInstaller.exe, nothing happens (even when running it as Admin)

As for Locale Emulator on Windows 11, it seems that the latest version I downloaded ( 2.5.0.1 ) was set up on Windows 8 config. What I did was "right click" on the LEInstaller.exe and choose "Resolve compability problems". Then run the process as it is and launch again the LEInstaller.exe file as admin. It worked well this time. Afterwards, right click on the game you want to open and it will show Local Emulator in the options to run it.

Hope it helps