Witch on the Holy Night (Mahoutsukai no Yoru) will be officially released in the West on January 27th 2023

HataVNI

I would very careful with saying it releases in the west. Aniplex didn't release Adabana Odd Tales  for Europe on Steam nor did they release Everyday♪ Today's Menu for the Emiya Family for the Switch in Europe. I see it as very likely that they proceed to ignore Europe. Until I see listing for the European PS4 or Switch e-store it's going to be an US-release but not an western one. The idea of a physical European release I discarded a long time ago but no digital release would be a slap in the face.  Love to be wrong about it, but I have no faith in Aniplex. 

Edited by Formlose Gestalt

11 hours ago, sanahtlig said:

Do Western users actually play VNs on consoles?  Is that where the majority of the Western fanbase is at?

The Nintendo Switch definitely offers a plethora of all-ages visual novels to play on the go. People do find this appealing, hence the Steam Deck also got so popular, though it is more the capabilities of the device to go beyond what's natively supported when you tinker with it a bit. Anyways, Nasu himself wants his games to be played on "the big screen" so TYPE-MOON releases these games like Mahoyo or Tsukihime Remake only for console. 

22 hours ago, Formlose Gestalt said:

I would very careful with saying it releases in the west. Aniplex didn't release Adabana Odd Tales  for Europe on Steam nor did they release Everyday♪ Today's Menu for the Emiya Family for the Switch in Europe. I see it as very likely that they proceed to ignore Europe. Until I see listing for the European PS4 or Switch e-store it's going to be an US-release but not an western one. The idea of a physical European release I discarded a long time ago but no digital release would be a slap in the face.  Love to be wrong about it, but I have no faith in Aniplex. 

Good catch. I didn't know the PS-Store is regionlocked?

Anyways, the trial version for the game is now out in the US PSN store.

1 hour ago, HataVNI said:

Good catch. I didn't know the PS-Store is regionlocked?

Anyways, the trial version for the game is now out in the US PSN store.

I am not familiar with the Switch store but for PS4 you would need to create a separate account and I am unsure if you can use your credit card / PayPal on both accounts. Otherwise you would need US wallet charge card. But it seems that my concerns are unfounded.

If they release the trial on the European PSN store it seems likely that they also release the game. So maybe my concern was too hasty. Would be positive step forward if they release it over here and I would apologize for the unfounded criticism. The next dream would then be a physical release in Europe.

Well I think that there shouldn't be a problem to anyone else who want to port it to PC version as long as there's a will. That said though, VNDB did list that they'll also release English version of Mahoyo on December 8th later with English support language as well, which to say made me a bit confused. That said, at least I understand that Aniplex here really tried to cover all of their bases in regard of the region, and the one that'll be released on December 8th later would be for Japanese region only (I may be wrong on the guess though).

As for the release date, well same difference to me in that I didn't care much on whichever date that Type-Moon/Aniplex released English version of Mahoyo as long as there's English translation of it, and beside it's still the first part of the trilogy that Nasu still can't find the time to develop more of it anyway. I can still say that they (TYPE MOON) know on how to make good effects and arts in 2014, and of course they'd do the same with Tsukihime Remake part 1.

Edited by littleshogun

3 hours ago, littleshogun said:

Well I think that there shouldn't be a problem to anyone else who want to port it to PC version as long as there's a will. That said though, VNDB did list that they'll also release English version of Mahoyo on December 8th later with English support language as well, which to say made me a bit confused. That said, at least I understand that Aniplex here really tried to cover all of their bases in regard of the region, and the one that'll be released on December 8th later would be for Japanese region only (I may be wrong on the guess though).

The different release dates refer to the digital and physical release dates. The digital version is already available in English in December. The physical edition, however, releases in January.

It's weird but I guess they had to delay the english physical editions for some reason.

So the diference of release date is because Aniplex separated physical and download version then? I see. By the way if we look on how Mangagamer (And later JAST) delayed the physical release version, actually it's not that weird to separatedly releases two version. Although if Aniplex already develop both version and then release those separately, I can see on why the decision to do that is a bit weird.

PS - That said though, from what I saw on VNDB the December 8th releases are including physical edition, so perhaps the difference is still in regard of the region after all.

Edited by littleshogun

I rather play on PC, but being able to play the demo with mouse controls was close enough to be enjoyable. Pre-ordered the PS4 physical copy since it would be nice to have this physically and double dip if/when the PC version happens.

On 11/2/2022 at 6:49 PM, sanahtlig said:

Do Western users actually play VNs on consoles?  Is that where the majority of the Western fanbase is at?

I'm under the impression the Western fanbase is definitely very console-oriented outside of more core VN fans.

• 5 weeks later...