Which VNs have you read more than once?

Silvz

And why?

I am a person who rarely reads or watches the same stuff twice or more, with a restricted few exceptions. As we all know by now, reading VNs takes a lot of time, patience, and our backlogs are constantly getting bigger as months pass and we get a ton of new releases - even more if you read Japanese-only VNs.

Then, we have those special games that speak to our hearts months after their first playthrough and we decide to give it another try, maybe just to read our fave hero/in route or to have a stress-free time with something that we already know we love.

In my case, there are only three VNs that I fully reread, one that I'm currently rereading alongside White Album 2 and one that I reread just the first hours because I have previously dropped that VN [which after finishing it I got to know that it was a huge mistake what I did before].  So here is my list:

Umineko no Naku Koro ni - For those who know me from before and from the many request threads we got back in the day, Umineko is my favorite VN of all time. My final project for college was about the story, where I analyzed the concepts of truth [portuguese only, sadly]. I decided to read it a second time because I already knew the culprit, mas never got to understand how they did the crimes. Reading Umineko again was an opportunity to appreciate the game without the "magic" lens that blinded me the first time around. I recommend people to read it again too, but only years after the first run, so the experience still feels fresh.

Little Busters: This one is a curious one. I decided to replay it on the Switch because I've never read the 3 final routes [the Ecstasy-exclusive], so I got the game and read it from start to finish.... except when I got into the first new route, I hated it! It didn't feel fun reading the new content, so I decided to skip them altogether a second time. Still, the main story is great and I had a lot of laughs and reexperienced a lot of the story, since I had forgotten a lot.

Kindred Spirits on the Roof - I simply loved the game, but I read it in a time when I was studying a LOT and could not fully focus on the VN. So I simply skimmed through the game and that was it. So a few years ago I decided to start it all over again and I must say it was 100% worth it. All characters are fun to follow, the romance is really well done and let's be frank: listening to Rita singing AND voice act is a gift from the gods.

Sea Bed - If you search for Sea Bed here in the forums, you'll find me bashing the game A LOT. I hated it the first time I tried, to the point that I dropped it even before the third chapter. I didn't like the exhagerated slice of life and simply wanted to get deep into the mystery that, at the time, a lot of people were praising. Then it was released on the Switch and I was going back to read after a year when I didn't read anything at all, even books or manga. So I decided to give it another shot, because I mean, maybe now, with more maturity, I would be able to feel the story. MAN, it was the best decision ever! The story is great, the pacing is purposefully slow in the beginning, but as we get close to the end more and more stuff is revealed and if you don't pay attention, you can miss a lot of nice twists. Even the slice of life scenes were super relevant when I found out the truth behind the story. So if you ever drop a VN - or even Sea Bed -, give it another shot a few years later, because your tastes may have changed and you'll have a blast like I did.

Summer Pockets - The one I'm currently reading because we now finally have a translation for the Reflection Blue content. I don't have much to say yet because I'm still in the beginning of the first route [going with Kamome right now], but I may update here after I get into the RB exclusive content. I simply love the atmosphere and writing of this game, and thanks to its art style and fun cast of characters, it's become a easy Key masterpiece. If you ever feel on the fence about reading SP, please, do yourself a favor! You won't regret it!

Sooooo, what about you? Which VNs have you read more than once and why? Do you have a similar story to one of my list? :D

Edited by Silvz

I mostly don't reread things as my backlog is infinitely growing. I might reread some scenes I like or some H-scenes, but not the whole VN.

So far I have only reread 1 VN from beginning to finish and that is Cross Channel. I first read it in English, but I wasn't satisfied with the translation, so I reread it in Japanese. There might be a couple other VN's I might reread in Japanese, because there are a lot of things you really miss in English. Those are not as high priority as reading completely new VN's though.

So far there are two:

1. I've read Princess Evangile three times. First time +18 English version (it was one of my first VNs), then All-ages English version, and finally, last year, All-ages Japanese version (PSP). And it's very possible, that there will be fourth time ;) There's something in that VN that pulls me back - it was a lovely feeling to revisit it, and meet old friends again. It become my "comfort VN" - together with the next one...

2. Konosora (If My Heart Had Wings) - this one I read two times - once in English (with retranslation patch), and then later I read PS3 version - Cruise Sign in Japanese (I even actually bought physical copy of it). I think I will revisit this one too some time.

I guess we could also count MashiroIro Symphony (2 times) - but this was slightly different case, since those two reads were back-to-back - I read PC version, and then PSP one in one go.

I'm also not a big rereader.

I think I only reread one route in Collar x Malice several times. Like right after finishing it the first time. And then again a week after that.

The cause? The worst case of brain worms of my life because of an evil cat bastard man:

tumblr_p8d0wl5qCs1rk9wm2o1_1280.jpg

The route didn't even manage the landing! The ending had so many things unnecessary things to it that were just why

But nope Shiraishi's character writing and his chemistry with Ichika murdered me like nothing else before!

The good thing was that rereading his route really improved my understanding of him and raised my opinion of the writing even further (except of course the ending).

Spoiler

Like I CAN'T believe this guy gets so stupidly cute. The whole learning how to communicate, how to be nice and liked by someone, that no you are not broken for feeling some irrational feelings like jealousy. The way he smiles when he feels save and warm!!!

When he tried to cook for Ichika to cheer her up and failed with a dejected look on his face! The cat watching date!

The writer really looked at this teasing asshole that can't understand people and was like "Now let's make him the cutest man alive!"

Edited by Shiawase_Rina
Added pic and spoiler gushing

Corpse Party: played it multiple times before I even really got into VNs because it's a pretty good horror game which frankly there aren't many of.

Grisaia no Kajitsu: read the 18+ version first, skipped every h-scene cause they were bad, read the 17+ version after finishing the series, didn't like that they cut non h content from it.  To this day I'm not sure which version I like more.

Island: got a friend to read it years after I did, decided to reread it since there's a lot going on in that novel and I wouldn't be able to hold a conversation about it without a refresher.

Dangrope 1 and most of 2: played them and had mixed feelings, was present for irl friends playing them as my mixed feelings turned to mostly negative feelings.

Ace Attorney 1: It's a good game with exactly four cases and no fifth case, would replay again.

999: Played it on my own, liked it, made my friends play it while I watched.

Some of VLR: Played it, hated it, but my friends finished 999 so they tried to play it (I think we only got through like two play sessions before they bailed).

Cooking Companions: Haven't replayed it yet, but I liked it and it got an update a while back and it's October right now so I'll almost definitely replay it before the end of the month.

Evolimit

Tokyo Babel

Dies Irae

Draculius

Amatsutsumi

Mirai Nostalgia

Aoi Tori

Devils Devel Concept

Soshite Hatsukoi wa Imouto ni Naru

Minamijuujisei Renka

Paradise Lost

Kajiri Kamui Kagura

Yurikago yori Tenshi Made

Haru to Yuki

Eden*

Eien no Aselia

Silverio Vendetta

Silverio Trinity

Zero Infinity

Vermilion Bind of Blood

Electro-Arms

Muramasa

Akatsuki no Goei trilogy

Karenai Sekai to Owaru Hana

Akeiro Kaikitan

Nanairo Reincarnation

Ikusa Megami Zero

Bradyon Veda

Bullet Butlers

Kikan Bakumatsu Ibun Last Cavalier

Ayakashibito

Chrono Belt

Cross Channel

Tsukihime

FSN

Comyu

Rui wa Tomo o Yobu and fandisc

Hapymaher

Haruka ni Aogi, Uruwashi no

Lovekami (original)

Jingai Makyou

Koisuru Otome to Shugo no Tate (both)

Komorebi no Nostalgica

Tiny Dungeon series

Valkyrie Runabout

Majikoi

Ou no Mimi ni wa Todokanai

Phantom of Inferno

Otome ga Tsumugu Koi no Canvas

Ryuukishi Bloody Saga

Suzunone Seven

Kamikaze Explorer

Tenshi no Hane o Fumanaide

Tsuisou no Augment (both)

Yomegami

Yami to Hikari no Sanctuary

Suisei Ginka

Hello, Lady (all versions)

Konata yori Kanata made

Houkago no Futekigousha

Semiramis no Tenbin

Baldr Skydive

Baldr Sky Zero

Ojousama no Hanbun wa Ren'ai de Dekiteimasu

Ojousama wa Gokigen Naname

Dracu-Riot

Kin'iro Loveriche (and fandisc)

Campus's Uso series

Bloody Rondo

Gensou no Idea

Shinigami no Testament

Natsuiro Recipe

Venus Blood Hypno (known as Hollow in the West)

Shuumatsu Shoujo Gensou Alicematic

Tayutama (original)

World Election

Prism Recollection

Haruru Minamo ni

Duelist x Engage

ExE

PrimalXHearts

Sakura, Sakimashita

Abyss Homicide Club

Amairo Islenauts

Blade x Bullet

Shirogane no Soleil

Fake Azure Arcology

Re:Birth Colony Lost Azurite

Hyakka Ryouran Elixir

Kanojo-Tachi no Ryuugi

Kono Sekai no Mukou de

Kouyoku no Soleil

Primary

Lunaris Filia

HHG

Sakura Iro Quartet

Otomimi Infinity

Reminiscence (for Aki's route)

Toppara

8 hours ago, Clephas said:

Evolimit

Tokyo Babel

Dies Irae

Draculius

Amatsutsumi

Mirai Nostalgia

Aoi Tori

Devils Devel Concept

Soshite Hatsukoi wa Imouto ni Naru

Minamijuujisei Renka

Paradise Lost

Kajiri Kamui Kagura

Yurikago yori Tenshi Made

Haru to Yuki

Eden*

Eien no Aselia

Silverio Vendetta

Silverio Trinity

Zero Infinity

Vermilion Bind of Blood

Electro-Arms

Muramasa

Akatsuki no Goei trilogy

Karenai Sekai to Owaru Hana

Akeiro Kaikitan

Nanairo Reincarnation

Ikusa Megami Zero

Bradyon Veda

Bullet Butlers

Kikan Bakumatsu Ibun Last Cavalier

Ayakashibito

Chrono Belt

Cross Channel

Tsukihime

FSN

Comyu

Rui wa Tomo o Yobu and fandisc

Hapymaher

Haruka ni Aogi, Uruwashi no

Lovekami (original)

Jingai Makyou

Koisuru Otome to Shugo no Tate (both)

Komorebi no Nostalgica

Tiny Dungeon series

Valkyrie Runabout

Majikoi

Ou no Mimi ni wa Todokanai

Phantom of Inferno

Otome ga Tsumugu Koi no Canvas

Ryuukishi Bloody Saga

Suzunone Seven

Kamikaze Explorer

Tenshi no Hane o Fumanaide

Tsuisou no Augment (both)

Yomegami

Yami to Hikari no Sanctuary

Suisei Ginka

Hello, Lady (all versions)

Konata yori Kanata made

Houkago no Futekigousha

Semiramis no Tenbin

Baldr Skydive

Baldr Sky Zero

Ojousama no Hanbun wa Ren'ai de Dekiteimasu

Ojousama wa Gokigen Naname

Dracu-Riot

Kin'iro Loveriche (and fandisc)

Campus's Uso series

Bloody Rondo

Gensou no Idea

Shinigami no Testament

Natsuiro Recipe

Venus Blood Hypno (known as Hollow in the West)

Shuumatsu Shoujo Gensou Alicematic

Tayutama (original)

World Election

Prism Recollection

Haruru Minamo ni

Duelist x Engage

ExE

PrimalXHearts

Sakura, Sakimashita

Abyss Homicide Club

Amairo Islenauts

Blade x Bullet

Shirogane no Soleil

Fake Azure Arcology

Re:Birth Colony Lost Azurite

Hyakka Ryouran Elixir

Kanojo-Tachi no Ryuugi

Kono Sekai no Mukou de

Kouyoku no Soleil

Primary

Lunaris Filia

HHG

Sakura Iro Quartet

Otomimi Infinity

Reminiscence (for Aki's route)

Toppara

how

Something to keep in mind with replaying a VN is that 'normal' VNs really aren't suitable for being played repeatedly.  In my experience, there are a few golden standards (though not absolute ones) that enhance the replayability of a VN.

1) Depth of the Setting- This is one of the two primary reasons why I'm most likely to replay a VN.  If a setting is deep enough, there is very little chance you will catch everything on a first playthrough, so games with deep settings often take two or three replays to start to feel stale.

2) Emotionality/Catharsis- The degree to which a VN stimulates the emotions through presentation and story can often make a VN that is otherwise not all that special replayable.  For this reason, nakige are some of the most commonly replayed VNs from my conversations over the years with other VN players.  If it makes you cry, it is probably worth trying again, lol.

3) Presentation (dramatic, memorable)- In some cases, there is just something about the way the story is presented that makes replaying a VN easy.  

4) Uniqueness- Though this became rarer and rarer as time went on, this quality is often enough to make me go back to a VN.  Semiramis no Tenbin and Re:Birth Colony both fall into this type, for different reasons.

On 10/28/2022 at 3:44 PM, I-heart-rena said:

Right now I'm rereading umineko as I have been bullied by the book it's self to reread it, this and higurashi are the only big books I have ever reread seriously. However I will be reading saya no uta on holloween, I don't celebrate it but I think I should at least make some sort of tradition out of it.

Update I am now vegetarian again for the foreseeable future. Tofu curry is quite tasty. 

I'm mostly a one and done kinda guy, but I've got a few that I've read multiple times.

Katawa Shoujo - This was my first VN and it's one of my comfort reads. Whenever I go back to it, it just makes me happy.

Shining Song Starnova - Another comfort read. It's not the greatest VN in the world or anything, but something about it really clicks with me so I occasionally re-read it. Also, one of my re-reads was in preparation for a big video I made on it.

Highway Blossoms - My first read was before all the enhancements they made to it and I enjoyed my time enough to want to read through it again after the revamp.

Also, I eventually plan on going through True Remembrance and the Muv-Luv trilogy again since those are stories that I feel would benefit greatly from a second read since you can pick up on all the subtle details once you know the full story.