[Studio Frisay] H2O √ after and another Complete Story Edition Translation Project [Released]

Tooko

15 minutes ago, Tooko said:

One final update for the year that I actually managed to make in time before the end of 2022. I've now completed Yui's arc bringing the translation up to 74.6% complete at 54,836 lines with only the latter half of the arcs left to go for the final quarter of the script. Although since Maki is actually the after story from Hamaji's arc, it's really only 2 arcs; Hamaji/Maki and Otoha. Even combined, Hamaji/Maki makes up about 10,400 lines, so substantial but not as lengthy as the previous arcs up to now, although it does have 4 H scenes all in the Maki after story (about half of Maki's arc contains H scenes, if you can believe it).

So all that's left to translate is 18,711 lines, which really isn't all that bad when I take into account all that I've translated up to now over the past 4 and a half months. Yui's arc in particular I really enjoyed since she's my favorite character, so that's also part of the reason why her arc seemed to just fly by this month, although I was aiming to try to get her arc done before the end of the year anyway. I'm so glad they gave Yui an arc in Root after and another.

But anyway, Hamaji/Maki is up next, and the next major update will be once both are done (separately they're both pretty short). If it isn't already obvious based on the pacing I've achieved thus far, the translation should be completed some time early next year, but because of everything else that has to be done (image and video editing, script editing and the final QC process), the patch won't be out any time soon. However, I can reasonably say that unless something catastrophic occurs, the patch should be complete at some point in 2023. So still a ways off, but something to look forward to in the relatively near future. So I'll see you at the next update.

Thank you for update and all the work you are doing and still are doing, I'm so looking forward to play this in English.

It means a lot you decide to translate H20 since I never expected someone translate H20. 

7 hours ago, Tooko said:

One final update for the year that I actually managed to make in time before the end of 2022. I've now completed Yui's arc bringing the translation up to 74.6% complete at 54,836 lines with only the latter half of the arcs left to go for the final quarter of the script. Although since Maki is actually the after story from Hamaji's arc, it's really only 2 arcs; Hamaji/Maki and Otoha. Even combined, Hamaji/Maki makes up about 10,400 lines, so substantial but not as lengthy as the previous arcs up to now, although it does have 4 H scenes all in the Maki after story (about half of Maki's arc contains H scenes, if you can believe it).

So all that's left to translate is 18,711 lines, which really isn't all that bad when I take into account all that I've translated up to now over the past 4 and a half months. Yui's arc in particular I really enjoyed since she's my favorite character, so that's also part of the reason why her arc seemed to just fly by this month, although I was aiming to try to get her arc done before the end of the year anyway. I'm so glad they gave Yui an arc in Root after and another.

But anyway, Hamaji/Maki is up next, and the next major update will be once both are done (since separately they're both pretty short). If it isn't already obvious based on the pacing I've achieved thus far, the translation should be completed some time early next year, but because of everything else that has to be done (image and video editing, script editing and the final QC process), the patch won't be out any time soon. However, I can reasonably say that unless something catastrophic occurs, the patch should be complete at some point in 2023. So still a ways off, but something to look forward to in the relatively near future. So I'll see you at the next update.

Thanks so much for your work! Looking forward to 2023!

Congratulation on reaching another milestone here, and it's interesting to see that you like Yui despite that some reviews did state that they didn't like her because of what she did in Hayami's route, not that there's anything wrong with it here. Anyway, good luck on translating the proto Sakura no Uta there.

Edited by littleshogun

1 hour ago, littleshogun said:

it's interesting to see that you like Yui despite that some reviews did state that they didn't like her because of what she did in Hayami's route

I did see at least one of those reviews, and I can understand why someone would feel that way based on Yui's character in both the common route and Hayami's arc. But one of the themes of H2O is really about looking past our prejudices and finding ways to coexist, and maybe even make some friends along the way. Friendship is such a strong backdrop to the entire story, so it was actually in Hayami's route that I really came to initially like and then love Yui's character compared to the others. She definitely deserves the route she got in Root after and another.

On 12/28/2022 at 1:01 PM, Tooko said:

I did see at least one of those reviews, and I can understand why someone would feel that way based on Yui's character in both the common route and Hayami's arc. But one of the themes of H2O is really about looking past our prejudices and finding ways to coexist, and maybe even make some friends along the way. Friendship is such a strong backdrop to the entire story, so it was actually in Hayami's route that I really came to initially like and then love Yui's character compared to the others. She definitely deserves the route she got in Root after and another.

Since you mentioned it like that, I suppose it make sense to a degree here so it's quite interesting on it's own. In this case, then hopefully people who read this in the future would find a way to cast away the prejudice when they play Yui's route later, even though it may be quite hard for them to do so.

I'm back once again for another update, this time the penultimate translation update with the completion of both Hamaji's arc (about 10 days ago) and now Maki's arc, bringing the total lines translated to 65,246 at 88.7% complete. That also makes it through 22 of the 26 H scenes, and all of the content that was from the sequel, Root after and another.

Hamaji's arc was especially interesting mainly because of how different it felt compared to the rest of the arcs. That's because at the time, it was a sort of preview of what would later become Sakura no Uta, which was originally in development at the same time as H2O, but because the development of that game took so long (about a decade), it basically shows the direction that Sakura no Uta was going at that time around 2006-07, and it features some of the characters from that game for that reason. It was also the densest part of the script. To put this in perspective, Hamaji's arc is 4,973 lines and 98,503 characters long. Maki's arc, despite being 464 lines longer, is only 87,214 characters, a difference of about 11,300 characters. In addition to that , Hamaji's arc has no H scenes, so there's none of those typical H scene lines where it's just spamming "Aaaaaaah" over and over. So if Hamaji's arc was the most literary, then Maki's arc is the most focused on sex and is basically the nukige arc of the game. So kind of a weird contrast between the two.

Now there's just one final arc to translate, Otoha, at only 8,301 lines. It's been challenging, but also a lot of fun reading through and translating H2O over the past 5 months, and you can imagine that I'm looking forward to finally being done with the translation. But after that comes image editing (of which there are plenty), video editing (of which there are 9), in addition to editing and QCing the text over the period of many months. But the light can be seen at the end of the translation tunnel at least, so that's something to be pleased with for now. So I'll get back to work and see you at the next update.

Edited by Tooko

Now the update many of you have been eagerly awaiting: the translation is now 100% complete with the completion of Otoha's arc. The translation took just under 6 months to complete from August 10 to January 28, a period of 171 days. To put this in perspective, that's around 400 lines per day on average. I say around, because a certain amount of the 73,547 lines were repeated across various arcs, and in two instances, there were scenario files that had identical content (one shared between Hayami's and Hinata's arcs, and another shared between Hinata's and Otoha's arcs). In addition to this, large sections of other scenario files were duplicates of lines already translated, and although I don't have an exact number, it's at least 3,000 lines, but it's probably closer to 4,000 or perhaps upwards of 5,000 lines.

But let's just say we can estimate that about 70,000 lines of the game were not duplicated elsewhere. That would bring the average number of lines translated per day to about 410. On average, I usually could translate about 80-100 lines per hour, meaning that it would come out to be around 4-5 hours per day as an average. Obviously, some days I did more when I had more time, and some days I did less when I had less time, but I'm giving the average to give you an idea of just how many hours it took to translate this game over the past 6 months. I translated at least some of the content nearly every single day during that time, mainly because I was eager to get the patch complete and out as soon as humanly possible. That said, it will still take a long time before the patch is released, although if all goes well, I still assume it will be out sometime later this year, but I won't know an exact time frame until at least the editing phase begins, which probably won't be for several weeks.

In the meantime, work on the game's images will now be the main focus. This process is being shared between me and nReus, same as with Imaimo previously. There are around 110 UI images (not counting some duplicate CG thumbnails) and roughly 335 other game images, almost all of which deal with the SD images that pop up throughout the story. Many of those 335 images are themselves duplicates, or at least are otherwise minor variations on each other, meaning the exact number of unique images is much less than that. Plus, most of the images require relatively little image editing, so I don't really anticipate this process taking that long, although could still stretch into several weeks or more, at least for my part. As it is, I won't be starting on the editing phase of the text until the images are finished, and this process will give me some time to take a break from the script for a little while.

But with the translation now complete, the project can now finally move forward with the rest of the work. I'm looking forward to getting the patch complete, and I hope you're also looking forward to finally playing H2O after all these years, this being the 17th year since its initial release back in 2006 (although the Complete Story Edition didn't actually come out until 2009, so it's been 14 years since that release). So thanks for the support the project has received thus far and I'll see you at the next update.

9 hours ago, Novel21 said:

It getting closer now and I have a question, are you guys going to translate more games?

For now, I'm focused on getting this patch done, so I'm not really thinking about the "next" project beyond musing what I would do if/when there is a next project. I'll have to make that decision once I get closer to the completion of this patch.

18 minutes ago, Tooko said:

For now, I'm focused on getting this patch done, so I'm not really thinking about the "next" project beyond musing what I would do if/when there is a next project. I'll have to make that decision once I get closer to the completion of this patch.

Sounds good to me and I understand that very much. I'm just happy we are getting closer to finally play this VN in English. 

I'm back for another update, this time to announce that all the in-game images (and at least a portion of the UI) have now been completed. The vast majority of the images were pretty simple in terms of typesetting and editing, although there were a certain amount (around 25-30 or so) that required extensive editing, but I'm very pleased with the end result. Even the more challenging ones were fun to go through, if not a bit tedious at times, but there was nothing too difficult, at least.

On the video side of things, all the lyrics for the 7 songs have now been translated (a shout out goes to Shinyyyjoke#1112 from the Moekko Company discord for providing the lyrics for 2 of the songs that I couldn't find anywhere online), and that was the last thing I had left to do before moving on to the text editing phase.

Speaking of which, that's what I'll be doing now for a while. There was a certain amount of self-editing I was conducting on my translation as I went through the script just as a general side-effect of the translation process itself, but there still requires a fair amount of editing the script now that the entire thing is translated. I'm not really sure how long this process is going to take, but I'm not going to rush it by any means. Preliminarily, it might take me anywhere from 2 to 3 months, but I really don't know. As I've commented on previously, this game is wordier than the previous project, Imaimo, not only in terms of its sheer length, but the lines themselves and the overall writing style lends itself to be more verbose than what I encountered in general when I had worked on Imaimo last year. As such, I can already anticipate the editing phase for this game to take longer, but how much longer exactly I probably won't know until I'm around 50% through the script.

So thank you for your support, and your patience in this long process. I want to put out the best quality patch I can, and 90% of that has to do with the script, so that's why the editing and QC phases are so important to ensuring the quality of the overall product and experience when playing the game. So until the next update.

PS: The game is once again 50% off on DMM until March 7. Now would be a great time to buy the game in anticipation of the patch, if you are able to do so.

Edited by Tooko

Just a quick update, since it's been almost 2 months since the last one (and I didn't want to do it yesterday for obvious reasons). The editing of the script has been going at a slow, but steady pace over the past 50 days, with now both the common route and Hayami's route fully edited, bringing the total up to 38%. I'm still not sure how much longer the editing phase will continue, but I'm hoping to get it done by June if I can so I can start the final, QC phase (which itself will probably take at least a couple of months). I still fully expect the patch to be released sometime later this year, but I won't know a more definite release window until I'm at least partially through the QC phase.

The whole process has been daunting from the start, but it's been a lot less demanding once the translation was completed. There's not much else to say, other than that work on the videos is still ongoing, but otherwise all the image editing is done, at least preliminarily. I'll probably post another update sometime next month.

PS: The game is still 50% off on DMM until May 8. so please purchase the game if you can so as to support the original creators.

Edited by Tooko

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2023 at 12:57 AM, Tooko said:

...Hamaji's arc has no H scenes...

😢

I'm really excited for this translation project. Thank you so much for spending so much time on such an old VN! I already bought the game a couple months ago and am looking forward to play with it once the translation is ready.

Okay, so it's been 3 months since I've been editing the script, and it's currently done up through Hinata's arc, bringing the total to 56.7% complete. With around 30K lines left to edit, I'm going to try to get done with it sometime around either late June or early July, so hopefully less than 2 months from now. Then I can finally start the QC phase, which should last about 2 months. What that means is that I'm currently shooting for a release of the patch sometime in September, which I'm very much looking forward to, and I hope you are, too. So with that, back to editing.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the effort. I'll be looking forward to playing this awesome-looking Visual Novel. It's been years since I feel in love with the ending theme TOMORROW and ever since I've been itching to play it. Thank you, once again!

Finally after 5 months, the editing phase is complete! It's been a long time coming, since I first thought about creating a patch for this game around a year ago. Now that the QC phase is about to begin, it's a relief to know it's 90% complete, and for all intents and purposes, is a complete (beta) patch for the first time. Based on my experience with doing the Imaimo patch previously, that game had about 2.5-3% of the text changed from before and after the QC phase, but about half of that had to do with formatting, so it was closer to 1.5% that was altered (fixing typos, rewriting lines, etc.). That might not seem like a lot, but it makes a big difference when the game is actually played, and obviously results in a better patch.

So the QC phase will be starting as soon as I recompile the game files, which is much easier this time around since there's only about 1/3 as many scenario files, and the other files are even quicker to deal with. So I'll get to work on that and go from there.

PS: The game is once again 50% off on DMM until August 17.