Favorite Moment(s) from a Video Game?

Mevvrynne

Since I have contributed next to nothing to the forums (at least in my opinion), I figured I would ask everyone in general:

What was your favorite moment (or if you have multiple, by all means say them!) from any video game you have ever played.

Any video game can be used for your choice, whether it was an old school RPG, an MMO, a side-scrolling fighter/shooter, even text adventures or the really old school games like pong and asteroids, any will do!

This topic may result in people posting spoilers for other games, I fully allow them to be posted.  Just a warning.

To start things off, mine was in World of Warcraft during the Burning Crusade expansion.  There is a raid called Serpentshrine Cavern (some of you may remember it *wink *wink), and in that raid there were these jerk mobs that would mind control random people to attack the rest of the group.  One of those mobs decided to mind control our guild/raid leader, who was a warrior at the time.  In response to that, our mage decided to be a silly little dick and use a certain little spell called Polymorph on him.  Now, people who had played WoW should know what Polymorph does, but for other's sake, Polymorph, when cast on a applicable target, would turn that target into an animal and keep them from using spells, abilities or even move at the will of the player/npc.  Now what might be so incredible is what you are probably asking, well our raid leader being a warrior and all, has something called "Spell Reflect," which as the name suggests, reflected the first spell that he received back at the caster.  While mind controlled by the enemy, our raid leader went into Defensive Stance (required to cast spell reflect), used Spell Reflect, and our mage, unbeknownst to him, cast Polymorph on our raid leader, just to have it reflected back onto himself, turning him into a silly little turtle for about 10 seconds.

Just the chain of events that built up to that made our entire raid that night worthwhile.

Go on and share any nifty (that's the word kids use these days right?) stories you have when you played any game.

• The Sending in FFX gives me chills pretty much everytime I see it.
  • From this year: the moment's leading to you climbing to the attic in Gone Home
  • The entirity of Karazahn in WoW.
  • The opening of Red Dead Redemption
  • Entering Rapture in Bioshock
  • Oh, and probably my favorite one ever, the fight with the Boss at the end of MGS3.

• The Sending in FFX gives me chills pretty much everytime I see it.
  • From this year: the moment's leading to you climbing to the attic in Gone Home
  • The entirity of Karazahn in WoW.
  • The opening of Red Dead Redemption
  • Entering Rapture in Bioshock
  • Oh, and probably my favorite one ever, the fight with the Boss at the end of MGS3.

I could not agree more that the Sending was a little eerie.  And oh god yes, Karazhan was an unforgettable experience, especially the moment I got the Fiery War Horse on my shaman before Wrath came out  :) .  That moment, entering Rapture for the first time, that was one of the only moments in a game where I was actually speechless.  No words could describe how incredible that was.

Saving Zulf at the end of Bastion was great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JvNhc13oKI

The guy betrays you by running to the "bad guys", but then they start beating on him when they realize they're losing.  Can either save him or leave him to die.  If you choose to save him, you gotta drop your weapon and just trudge your way to the exit with him on your back.  At first it seems impossible trying to just tank all the enemies, running out of potions, but then they see you're not fighting back, and they just stop and let you go.  I'm pretty damn sure if you just leave him to die the only way out is to kill everyone, so that was really neat.

The guy betrays you by running to the "bad guys", but then they start beating on him when they realize they're losing.  Can either save him or leave him to die.  If you choose to save him, you gotta drop your weapon and just trudge your way to the exit with him on your back.  At first it seems impossible trying to just tank all the enemies, running out of potions, but then they see you're not fighting back, and they just stop and let you go.  I'm pretty damn sure if you just leave him to die the only way out is to kill everyone, so that was really neat.

That was pretty damn compelling.

I really like the moments in games where some characters that originally help you, then turn against you for their own reasons, but then later in the game you have the opportunity to save/spare their lives or kill/leave them to die.

One of my favorite applications of this was from Metro:  Last Light, where:

Nearing the ending of the game, you are ambushed by Pavel while you are crossing the surface in order to return to D6. After dispatching his soldiers, and forcing Pavel to retreat while severely injuring him, you are given the choice to either give him a filter (save him), or leave him to die.

This year when i finished Little Busters as my first visual novel early in January. The tears~

Other moments, I wouldn't say this is a favorite but it's definitely something i'll never forget, when I simply could not beat this boss fight in Final Fantasy X-2 (I beat it now!) I threw the remote against the wall and completely shattered it, proceeding to then kick my own chair in fury after losing countless times, forgetting i was barefoot and completely breaking my toe nail which came off soon after. Of course the feelings i got after beating it are unimaginable. Again not a nice memory but something i still laugh about till this day~

This year when i finished Little Busters as my first visual novel early in January. The tears~

Other moments, I wouldn't say this is a favorite but it's definitely something i'll never forget, when I simply could not beat this boss fight in Final Fantasy X-2 (I beat it now!) I threw the remote against the wall and completely shattered it, proceeding to then kick my own chair in fury after losing countless times, forgetting i was barefoot and completely breaking my toe nail which came off soon after. Of course the feelings i got after beating it are unimaginable. Again not a nice memory but something i still laugh about till this day~

Which boss from X-2?  I beat the game a long time ago and when I was playing through I didn't think it was too difficult.

well the first battle agains diablo and his brothers in diablo 2 (mephisto,diablo,baal) (when i was around 10 years old)

I REALLY need to go back and play the first two diablo games.  The first one I played was diablo 3 and I've been told it doesn't do the game justice compared to the first two.  

WoW: Defeating M'uru and the Kil'Jaeden fight/event. The whole story surrounding Anveena is absolutely amazing.

Many, many events and boss fights in Rudra no Hihou. If you haven't, play it, it's got an unofficial translation.

M'uru effectively made 4 major raiding guilds on my server disband.  I can't possibly agree more that when you kill him for the first time, nothing can beat that feeling.

I REALLY need to go back and play the first two diablo games.  The first one I played was diablo 3 and I've been told it doesn't do the game justice compared to the first two.  

if you feel like you need a partner to climd down the dungens off hell am i available and let's say Diablo 3 is so bad i don't even recognises it as a game in the Diablo series

Which boss from X-2?  I beat the game a long time ago and when I was playing through I didn't think it was too difficult.

I was like 12 I barely understood how to use items and other things properly so all i did was attack and use abilities whenever i could, i had no tactics so it's only natural i lost after some point. I replayed the game at 16 and beat it then.

If i remember correctly it was Vegnagun, the final boss (I'm surprised i even made it that far..)

There's lots of moments I love from videogames, but off the top of my head I'd say exploring the Dead Sea in Chrono Cross, playing with a Necromancer with just summons in Diablo 2 for the lulz (30+ skeletons!), the last boss battle in Planescape:Torment and anything with Senator Armstrong from Metal Gear Rising (he's HILARIOUS)

My favorite moment is probably the Abyssion boss fight in Tales of Symphonia, the first time I fought him I was pretty under leveled and it seemed like it took me 30-40 minutes to beat him down and I only just won, also the boss battle music is awesome.

Also the 4th or 5th (not sure) colossi in Shadows of the Colossus, the flying one, despite being one of the easier bosses was a lot of fun.

My favorite moment is probably the Abyssion boss fight in Tales of Symphonia, the first time I fought him I was pretty under leveled and it seemed like it took me 30-40 minutes to beat him down and I only just won, also the boss battle music is awesome.

Also the 4th or 5th (not sure) colossi in Shadows of the Colossus, the flying one, despite being one of the easier bosses was a lot of fun.

Tales of Symphonia, when I was a kid was one of my favorite games (go on, criticize me).  It was just so damn enjoyable.

And I am disappointed with myself.  I pride myself as a hardcore gamer, and I have yet to play Shadows of the Colossus  :(

Tales of Symphonia, when I was a kid was one of my favorite games (go on, criticize me).  It was just so damn enjoyable.

And I am disappointed with myself.  I pride myself as a hardcore gamer, and I have yet to play Shadows of the Colossus  :(

Symphonia's still one of my favourite games  :ph34r: It may just be nostalgia but I play through at least once a year, though it hasn't aged particularly well.

Shadows of the Colossus is great, I just wish there wasn't so much downtime between boss fights, that's the only negative really, I spent more time riding that damn horse than fighting the bosses.

Another of my favourite moments is in Mass Effect 3

Mordins Death

"Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong"

I was devastated, I think there's a way to save him, but I haven't gone back and tried.

world of warcraft, back during the last week of vanilla.

my paladin, Eothus, was on the stratholme holy water portion of his Charger mount quest. we spent 8 straight hours in that place trying to find crates with potions instead of diseased rats and maggots. we were deep in scourge territory, digging our heels in as we pushed ever forward into that forsaken city. our armor had long since tattered, our swords long since shattered...

...long story short our gear was broken and we resorted to using the greys, greens, and blues that we happened upon as we ran about. none of us wanted to go back to town to repair, because I was the only one with epic riding and one of us didn't even have normal riding.

was the best ever.

world of warcraft, back during the last week of vanilla.

my paladin, Eothus, was on the stratholme holy water portion of his Charger mount quest. we spent 8 straight hours in that place trying to find crates with potions instead of diseased rats and maggots. we were deep in scourge territory, digging our heels in as we pushed ever forward into that forsaken city. our armor had long since tattered, our swords long since shattered...

...long story short our gear was broken and we resorted to using the greys, greens, and blues that we happened upon as we ran about. none of us wanted to go back to town to repair, because I was the only one with epic riding and one of us didn't even have normal riding.

was the best ever.

I remember the Dreadsteed quest for warlocks back in vanilla....it was so epic, but I never want to do it again.  But still, having to resort to the random items you came across is pretty damn funny, need to improvise when it's required.

I remember the Dreadsteed quest for warlocks back in vanilla....it was so epic, but I never want to do it again.  But still, having to resort to the random items you came across is pretty damn funny, need to improvise when it's required.

I loved the Dreadsteed quest chain. I did it back before the cost got nerfed and then later got removed all together.

The last talk you have with the Patriot AI's in the ending of MGS2;

(*cough* mayor spoiler *cough*) the AI's explain how the events of mgs1 where all a part of a "exercise" to collect data, mostly to manipulate and control human thought and behavior. What i love about this is that their last chat with raiden seems timeless, talking about things like philosophy and sociology and what not, and even after the AI's explain how the whole events of mgs2 was another exercise and that they can control human thought and behavior to raiden, they still continue to do so on him (notice his last fight with solidus was manipulated due to olga's child being attached to the vital signs of raiden or something like that) 

The last talk you have with the Patriot AI's in the ending of MGS2;

(*cough* mayor spoiler *cough*) the AI's explain how the events of mgs1 where all a part of a "exercise" to collect data, mostly to manipulate and control human thought and behavior. What i love about this is that their last chat with raiden seems timeless, talking about things like philosophy and sociology and what not, and even after the AI's explain how the whole events of mgs2 was another exercise and that they can control human thought and behavior to raiden, they still continue to do so on him (notice his last fight with solidus was manipulated due to olga's child being attached to the vital signs of raiden or something like that) 

Time for me to revisit the Metal Gear Solid games!