Interesting stuff from Nintendo Direct 13/09/22

HataVNI

So after a couple months, there has finally been another Nintendo Direct, that event that rabid Nintendo fanboys put all their chips on to be delivering every single time. Did it deliver this time? What were even the expectations? If we scour the internet we will find a lot of leaks that most if not all turned out to be hoaxes or simply someone being wrong on the internet. What was clearly in the pool of everyone's expectations has been announced such as the new Breath of the Wild 2 with its full name and a release date. There were also some surprises that no one really expected like a Pikmin 4 announcement as well as some new Kirby that unfortunately does not look as slick as Kirby and the Forgotten Land had been. But, since we are unapologetic and terminally online weebs what was of core interests to most of us are the anime games that the Direct peppers throughout their runtime. Those are as follows:

Fire Emblem Engage

Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse

So, Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse, a remake of the Wii title has been announced for Switch, PS-Systems and XBOX-Systems. While it looks quite good in the trailer, people call it the weakest game in the series. And there is also the funky naming scheme that every region seems to handle differently. In Japanese, the game series is called "零 (Rei/Zero)", in Europe it is Project Zero and in the the US-region, it is called Fatal Frame. What a mess! At least there won't be ass-fucked Wii-Motion controls since the Switch simply has Gyro and simpler inputs.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Expansion Pass Wave 2

So there is this Ino character type of thing and she's quite quirky!

Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life

So there could be a diatribe held about how Harvest Moon and Story of Seasons are nowadays two different game series, and it would all be correct. However, we are getting a new game from the non-cashgrab IP that still cares about its players. This game was originally for the Nintendo Game Cube. It's supposed to release in Summer 2023, right for the hot season!

Octopath Traveler II

There was truly no shortage of anything Square Enix in this direct, and so they provide us with another Octopath Traveler game. It is a game (series) at the point that really does the 2.5D graphics well and it gives us - like the first game - eight travelers to be exploring the story from eight different perspectives that eventually intertwine in some epic conclusion. I would get it simply for the Golden-Sun-aesthetics.

FINAL FANTASY THEATRHYTHM FINAL BAR LINE

While this game's name is quite schizo and unpronouncable, it looks like a solid rhythm game. If it is anything like Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory in terms of difficulty and song variety, then I will surely get into this.

Rune Factory 3 Special & New Rune Factory Series Title announcement

This is a big one. Some people grew up with the Rune Factory games and this might be another really good addition to the family. Rune Factory 5 was released earlier this year, so already getting a very teasy announcement for a Rune Factory 6 or a "new series" being in development is sure fan service extraordinaire.

Some Nintendo Switch N64-Addons for Switch Online Users

It took them a while, but finally all the classic Mario Party games are on Switch Online. Additionally, there is also one of my favourite games on the N64 with Pokemon Stadium 1/2 (the mini game plaza and the gameboy plaze and the gym leader towers are such big parts of my childhood). They also got some sports games for fillers and the big one: GoldenEye 007 (the super epic THE ELITE speedrun game).

Various Daylife

I cannot talk about this at all. Feels like a RPG made by the creators of Bravely Default. It comes out later TODAY though.

IB

This is something I would not have expected to see. If you like Yume Nikki, Ao Oni or maybe even Undertale, then this is for you. The game is basically about a girl that gets sucked into a surreal mysterious world. It is a remake of the a classic Japanese RPG-Maker game, I believe. Comes out for Switch in 2023.

Front Mission 1st: Remake and Front Mission 2: Remake 

These are coming to Switch. In Front Mission 1st, you’ll pilot giant machines called Wanzers in tactical turn-based combat. As you progress, you’ll obtain Skills that can help you gain the upper hand against opponents. There has also been an announcement for Front Mission 3!

Miscellaneous Games 

Pikmin 4

So Nintendo tried to pull a fast one on us and they actually invited Shigeru Miyamoto to do it. First they showed some phone game called Pikmin Bloom that Miyamoto was happily presenting and then segue'd into a game trailer that turned out to be Pikmin 4, they did not show any gameplay unfortunately. Miyamoto said, that using the Switch makes Pikmin controls easier - let's see about that!

Atelier Ryza 3: Alchemist of the End and the Secret Key

WAIFU V3 with extra THIGHS.

Harvestella

You like farming? Well, we have like the third or fourth game of its kind here for this one Direct already. While this game does have farming like a Rune Factory or Story of Seasons it also has a big focus on combat. The game should release in November and a demo is on the eShop now. 

Bayonetta 3

Nintendo also showed Bayonetta 3, it is launching on Oct. 28th. After the direct there is also a new gameplay trailer released, which you can check here.

Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII Reunion

This game will be launching around the 13th of December (My Birthday fuck yea!). It'll feature renewed gameplay from the PSP epic geemu.

Radiant Silvergun

A classic Shmup-game that will be released next Tuesday on Switch.

Tales of Symphonia Remastered

Beloved classic with some dude in red and a bunch of really memorable characters. The battle system is real-time action combat on isolated arenas like in most modern Tales of games, but as always there are a bunch of cool hidden mechanics that make the game not so easy.

Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song Remastered

I don't know this series, but it is apparently quite cool and it will launch on December 1st.

Ketsugou Danshi

This game seems to only have appeared in the Japanese version of the Direct. I don't know what to think about it, but it looks cool!

Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe

Kirby is cute, so I love Kirby. Somehow, this game looks really bad compared to what they did with Kirby Star Allies or Kirby and the Forgotten Land, so I don't know what to think. The textures are blurry, the characters all have these weird black outlines and it feels... uncreative? No car kirby?!

At least it has 4 player co-op and releases on Feb 24th.

Master Detective Archives: RAIN CODE

This is the big one for us. This game is made by the creators of DanganRonpa, and it absolutely shows in visuals, music and generally how it plays. In this game we play the amnesiac Yuma, who has to solve crimes in a corporate-filled metropolis where the rain never stops.

Last but not least: Link's newest adventure with the preliminary title The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild 2 now has a definite title with "The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom" (immediately everyone made Queen Elizabeth jokes about this...) and it features some special technology, flying on some space ship instead of a parasail and a vast world to explore. Also, there is a release date: The 12th of May 2023.

Conclusion

There is more, but listing them all would be insane. If there is anything else you guys want to point out, please post it in your comments!

Edited by HataVNI
Added Zelda, too sleepy yesterday night

• 2 months later...

Very late to the party, so sorry for the necro here.

Anyway as for Fire Emblem I suppose it's time to lament that Nintendo still hasn't released post Awakening game for the nth time (Same goes with Xenoblade), and that apparently it'll featuring the heroes from the past Fire Emblem (There's a mechanic to summon those). Square Enix here milk FF7 yet again through Crisis Core Remake, and if anything else it should be good to anyone else who have Switch and yet their PC can't run PSP emulator smoothly. Speaking of Square, apparently both of their released game (Harvestella and Various Daylife) got some lukewarm responses, but if anything else at least they'll willing to experiment. No much comment of Octopath Traveler 2 other than it's not like Golden Sun aesthetic wise, and good for Square that they realized the potential money behind their good OST so much that they made a rhythm game based on it.

While some if not most people did criticize Rune Factory 5 for not bringing something different other than graphic and same sex marriage, honestly speaking I doubt if I can going back to Rune Factory 4 easily. Doubly so with Rune Factory 3 here in that it's obviously the remake for DS version, and seeing that it has a high number of bachelorette (Up to 11) on top that it has no female MC obviously it'll be hard to go back to that. Oh yes I also remember that my siblings play Harvest Moon A Wonderful Life in PS2, and the PS2 version has the darker color while the remake here will have colorful interface (I doubt that I'll play the remake though even with female MC and same sex marriage). I also see the teaser in regard of next Rune Factory, and I'll see what it lead to. If anything else I hope that the staffs fixed some things that the fans criticized in regard of Rune Factory 5, especially with the slowdown in Switch version.

I tried both of Atelier Mysterious and Dusk trilogy, and obviously the former is more colorful compared to the latter. I also want to try Ryza, although I'm too lazy to set it up on top that my laptop may not be able to play it (It's already a struggle to set up Atelier Lydie, and it's with newer version with the older version is worse in that it's very slow). As for Ryza 3, well I can only say that this time Gust manage to write the single MC across the trilogy (It definitely help that Ryza's design has some merit for the male fanbase) whereas in the past usually the MCs between Atelier trilogy are keep changing in each games.

That's all for my belated comment on Nintendo Direct 2022.

Edited by littleshogun