Nakoruru: The Gift She Gave Me - English translation project

SpaceHoliday

U9HfXKg.png

Hi everyone,

I was advised to post on this forum to share the news about an English fan translation project for the 2002 Dreamcast visual novel “Nakoruru: Ano Hito kara no Okurimono” (ナコルル〜あのひとからのおくりもの〜) I am working as part of the translation team, working as the lead editor.

My team has dubbed this visual novel "Nakoruru: The Gift She Gave Me" in English. When completed, this will be (to our knowledge) the one and only English language visual novel for the SEGA Dreamcast, aside from the indie title "Divi-Dead". This visual novel is actually a spin-off of SNK’s fighting franchise Samurai Shodown/Spirits, and focuses on the tale of a young orphan, Mikato, who it taken in by the titular character Nakoruru. Aside from the occasional reference, however, this visual novel is able to be enjoyed by those with no knowledge of the Samurai Shodown series.

At the time of posting this thread, the project has been ongoing now for about a year and the visual novel is 73% translated and edited. For more information on the project, I recommend checking out our thread on the Dreamcast-Talk forums: https://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14736

Even though this visual novel is on the Dreamcast, it is incredibly easy to emulate on PC. :) 

Feel free to reply with any questions you may have and I’ll try my best to answer them!

GnCus8a_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

wQkUV3T.png

BpDKwxD.png

myiWPYt.png

Edited by SpaceHoliday

I don't know why, but this setting, the character designs, the older-looking graphics and the winter background... 
This reminds me a lot of the Utawarerumono games, wow. Have a nice time translating this! 

You should maybe try and get the knowledge of this project out there, telling Brian Ashcraft from Kotaku might give it a massive popularity boost should he write about it. Also there are people like SpeedyNoelle around who can make a video about this that can go viral. More people have to play obscure DreamCast FanTLs, especially because the emulator (FlyCast) runs so smoothly these days!

I played a bit of Despiria (wonder if anyone has a proper dump of the script, I was able to get fragments but not particularly organized... though the scenes with words flying around are probably hell in any case) on a dreamcast emulator (not flycast tho, redream) and it worked pretty well indeed, should be nice. Good luck with the project, haven't played the original game — would you say that's needed?

1 hour ago, Zakamutt said:

I played a bit of Despiria (wonder if anyone has a proper dump of the script, I was able to get fragments but not particularly organized... though the scenes with words flying around are probably hell in any case) on a dreamcast emulator (not flycast tho, redream) and it worked pretty well indeed, should be nice. Good luck with the project, haven't played the original game — would you say that's needed?

Hi and thanks for your reply!

DeSpiria is definitely a game I’d love to see translated one day. As for Nakoruru, this VN can be fully played and enjoyed without any knowledge of the Samurai Shodown series. There’s a tiny amount of references here and there that longtime fans will enjoy, but nothing that will derail understanding of the story taking place.

1 hour ago, HataVNI said:

I don't know why, but this setting, the character designs, the older-looking graphics and the winter background... 
This reminds me a lot of the Utawarerumono games, wow. Have a nice time translating this! 

You should maybe try and get the knowledge of this project out there, telling Brian Ashcraft from Kotaku might give it a massive popularity boost should he write about it. Also there are people like SpeedyNoelle around who can make a video about this that can go viral. More people have to play obscure DreamCast FanTLs, especially because the emulator (FlyCast) runs so smoothly these days!

Hi - thanks for reaching out!

Interesting that you reference Utawarerumono. I love that VN and when I started work on Nakoruru I was immediately reminded of it!

Thanks for letting me know about some people to contact, we will definitely try and reach out to them, we’d love for as many people as possible to play Nakoruru, it really is such a beautiful, heartfelt visual novel.

I just find out that it features the mascot character of Samurai Showdown itself, and as for my experience with SNK games (The company behind Samurai Showdown) it's basically zero because I've never play of it (I only know that they also produce King of Fighters game). No much to say here other than good luck with the project there.

Edited by littleshogun