Summer 2022 Anime Discussion

Plk_Lesiak

Oy, maybe it's an overkill to create a thread over mostly one show, but I think we're getting something quite unique this season. By that I mean Yofukashi no Uta, which seems to be mostly slice-of-life, borderline-affirmative vampire story? Is that allowed in Japanese media, vampires that aren't self-hating monsters? Exploration of the night world that is driven by wanderlust rather than horror? I don't even know how to process this. :P

Oh, right, there's Overlord IV too. Those two should be enough to keep my will to live relatively high this season. 😆 Also, second season of Highschool of the Elite will probably be really good, but I still have to catch up on the first one...

The first episode of Yofukashi no Uta was pretty much all I was hoping for. It's quirky, with a bit of Monogatari vibes, but way less horny and more cute/comedic. The dynamic between the protagonist and Nazuna is really fun and Nazuna herself is kind of an adorable dork behind the "cool vampire" facade. Plus the whole affirmation of the night theme... Lovely. ^^

Also, a possibly interesting note for @Mr Poltroon... The protagonist starts as more or less aromantic (very explicitly stating he "doesn't understand that stuff"), not sure how this changes later on, but I wouldn't expect real romance to show up very soon. :3

On 7/7/2022 at 2:11 PM, Plk_Lesiak said:

Oy, maybe it's an overkill to create a thread over mostly one show, but I think we're getting something quite unique this season. By that I mean Yofukashi no Uta, which seems to be mostly slice-of-life, borderline-affirmative vampire story? Is that allowed in Japanese media, vampires that aren't self-hating monsters? Exploration of the night world that is driven by wanderlust rather than horror? I don't even know how to process this. :P

Oh, right, there's Overlord IV too. Those two should be enough to keep my will to live relatively high this season. 😆 Also, second season of Highschool of the Elite will probably be really good, but I still have to catch up on the first one...

Yofukashi's Monogatari vibes are why I immediately decided to drop it... to be honest, I got tired of the series after the first season.

Soredemo Ayumu wa Yosetekuru is a pretty cute romantic comedy where Ayumu constantly flirts with Urushi while refusing to admit he is in love with her.

Overlord 4 began slowly, but what was there was solid.  I just have to wonder if they'll draw things out too much...

Kinsou no Vermeil reminded me of Kanokon in a good way.

Jashin-chan is Jashin-chan, you either like or hate it.

Tensei Kenja looks to be  a semi-solid isekai with an overpowered protagonist.

Isekai Meikyuu Harem is unwatchable unless you get the uncensored version, which makes it nfsw.

Kumichou Musume was cute, reminding me of Aishiteiruze Baby.

Engage Kiss looks to be a trashy low-end fantasy with an unreliable protagonist.

Utawarerumono is... Utawarerumono.  If played the game, so far it follows things a bit more faithfully than with the first anime...

RWBY is fast-paced and fun so far, but it shows signs that it will probably turn to trash later on.

On 7/10/2022 at 2:20 AM, Yuuko said:

watch engage kiss

it will be the best anime in 10 years

There's so many ways in which one can read this statement. xD

Though, holy crap, Engage Kiss is near-unwatchable even by my standards. Not sure if I can do the whole season. :notlikemiya:

Overlord seems like more Overlord though, so I'm happy with it, and Lycoris Recoil is really interesting... Very weird/crazy play on anime cliches, with those high school secret agents, and will probably show a lot more sci-fi stuff than the opening episodes suggest, to explain the weird power levels. It's also an original, so for once it can't be spoiled or predicted very easily.

On 7/9/2022 at 7:46 AM, Clephas said:

Yofukashi's Monogatari vibes are why I immediately decided to drop it... to be honest, I got tired of the series after the first season.

Oh, while I'm not much of a Monogatari fanatic, I think the series peaked at Second Season in a major way. Kind of worth it to fight the initial irritation for that (although I'm very much not a fan of some of the later stuff, Kizumonogatari movies in particular). And the connections with Yokufashi seem a bit superficial, mostly some stylistic choices. That story seems a lot more straightforward and slice-of-life focused... And just night-time Japan vibes. :3

11 hours ago, Yuuko said:

wdym

it literally is just very good

Not sure I'd go that far, but the third episode was a major step up. The whole eating memories part creates a very interesting dynamic between the two girls and the protagonist, probably won't be utilized well enough to not make them all annoying AF any more, but there's some potential. :)

In unrelated matters, with the third episode Lycoris Recoil really starts to feel like a yuri to my warped brain, but I know I'll only get disappointed if I get my hopes up... :< It should be pretty cool either way though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have no watched any seasonals in the last 2 1/2 years. Nor much anime at all. Recently, a couple eps of Yosuga no Sora or Dorohedoro, but that is it. However, I watched a couple of anime movies at Nippon Connection (biggest Japanese Film festival in Europe)

Anything worth this season that I would totally dig? I like horror and psychological stuff. Also sinister romance plots like Kuzu no Honkai or Koi to Uso. And School Days.

20 hours ago, HataVNI said:

And School Days.

So I'm not the only one... :')

From your description there's not that much this season that would fit your tastes... But I'd recommend catching up on Shadows House, which is now airing its second season. It's quite an interesting mix of light horror, mystery and slice-of-life, rather unique in its premise.