Retro visual novels that have english translations?

I'm not exactly sure what your cut off point is for mid-2000s, but for simplicity's sake I'm going to judge that to be 2005. With that in mind, here are my recommendations:

Saya no Uta (Released 2003)

Symphonic Rain (Released 2004)

Ever17 (Released 2002)

Kana Little Sister (Released 1999)

Crescendo (Released 2001)

The early Key VNs, Kanon and Air (Released 1999 and 2000 respectively)

YU-NO (Released 1996)

Policenauts (Released 1994)

Snatcher (Released 1988)

5 hours ago, Zalor said:

I'm not exactly sure what your cut off point is for mid-2000s, but for simplicity's sake I'm going to judge that to be 2005. With that in mind, here are my recommendations:

Saya no Uta (Released 2003)

Symphonic Rain (Released 2004)

Ever17 (Released 2002)

Kana Little Sister (Released 1999)

Crescendo (Released 2001)

The early Key VNs, Kanon and Air (Released 1999 and 2000 respectively)

YU-NO (Released 1996)

Policenauts (Released 1994)

Snatcher (Released 1988)

Thanks. Yeah, anything pre-2005, games that have the retro anime artstyle.

Edited by peanutbutterman

Five officially translated editions of VNs published before 2005:

Knights of Xentar, published by Megatech Software, based on the Elf game Dragon Knight 3. I tried it years ago, and don't remember much.

* Season of the Sakura, published by JAST USA. Didn't care for the adventure game style interface, but liked some of the story.

True Love '95, released by Otaku Publishing. Not my favorite, but it was a decent substitute for Tokimeki Memorial gameplay.

Graduation, released by Mixx (later Tokypop), based on Sotsugyou 2. I bought the disc when it was on sale at Rightstuf, but I don't remember much about it.

Snow Drop, released by Peach Princess. I read it, but I only recall a few events.

Five unofficial translations:

Maison Ikkoku ~Omoide no Photograph~ for PC Engine (TurboGrafx-16). I like the original comic, but I haven't set aside time for the licensed game.

Tokimeki Memorial for Super Famicom (SNES). I'm glad that a patch has been finished, but I don't like the interface or pacing as much as TokiMemo Girl's Side.

Bloody Bride - Imadoki no Vampire for PS1. It was published in an era of instruction manuals, so I think it expects the player to learn the gameplay right away.

Love Hina Advance for GBA. Notable because it's short, and some of the timed choices seem justified.

Koisuru Oukoku for Windows. This life / career simulation game wasn't all that memorable.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2022 at 12:03 PM, peanutbutterman said:

I'm looking for retro VNs (anything before the mid 2000s) that have english translations.

Well in case you're still searching for it, there's quite a number of translated VNs that were created from before 2005. For the starter, I'll recommend all of the VNs in my thread that talk about the VNs that were officially localized in 2000's because all of the VNs are created before mid 2000 (Although Princess Waltz here is created in 2006 though). Other than that, I can recommend the title such as Snow, Yume Miru Kusuri, Cross Channel, Never7, Demonbane, and Aselia. I hope that my recommendations here can be helpful to you.