[SOLVED] Ever 17 on Windows 8.1?

roninmedia

I bought an open-box laptop for cheap, but unfortunately it comes with Windows 8.1. I went ahead and tested various visual novels I have on the new OS. I've managed to get every single one to run fine with the exception of Ever17.

I've gotten Kanon, Clannad, Tomoyo After, Little Busters, Sengoku Rance, Gadget Trial, Kamidori Alchemy Meister, Kono no Sora, Princess Lover, Walkure Romanze, Tsuma Shibori, etc to work fine.

I have it set to the same exact settings as my Windows 7 machine and it just crashes right at start-up. I've run it under various OS compatability settings from Windows XP to Windows 7 and it's the same result.

If I can't get to work on the Windows 8.1 machine, it's no harm no foul, but I'd still try my best to figure out what's wrong with it. According to this blog post, it works in Windows 8. http://visualnovelaer.fuwanovel.net/2013/02/your-visual-novelseroge-will-not-work-on-windows-8-compatibility-guide/

I recently ran into the exact same problem after I switched from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. I was reorganizing my VN folder and re/installing every VN I had and that was the only one I hit a snag on.

I was barely able to find any information on the problem, let alone a fix/work around. All I could dig up was this: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=30988&page=113

Last post, bottom of the page.

It's because of the godforsaken 0.1 extra O.o

just kidding. But, this should be moved to the "technical issues and feedback" section, I think.

Also, no harm in trying to post on this format:

https://forums.fuwanovel.net/index.php?/topic/813-game-issues-before-you-post/

EDIT: I just read what nohman posted, and it seems it really is because of the 0.1 upgrade O.o

That moment when your joke becomes true...

Edited by Yuyuko Saigyouji

I recently ran into the exact same problem after I switched from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. I was reorganizing my VN folder and re/installing every VN I had and that was the only one I hit a snag on.

I was barely able to find any information on the problem, let alone a fix/work around. All I could dig up was this: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=30988&page=113

Last post, bottom of the page.

Guess that game stays on my desktop. Was looking forward to not have to drag that 35-40 lb monstrosity to the living room to play on the big screen and back to my room for gaming that isn't compatible with being on the couch.

• 3 weeks later...

I've gone through the .exe with a debugger and have found the problem. The problem isn't with Windows 8.1 per se - it is due to the number of fonts installed!

Due to shoddy programming, the Ever17 engine only looks at the first 100 TrueType fonts that it finds using the EnumFontFamilies() call. It checks the list to see if it contains a font that it knows about, but doesn't know when to stop checking! This causes it to eventually stumble into an illegal area of memory, causing it to crash.

One solution might be to start deleting fonts until the font that the engine wants (Courier New) comes up in the first 100 fonts found. Probably not a good idea.

I've also tried to skip the font check. This allows the game to run, but you get a weird font in the text. If you want to try this, use a hex editor (e.g. HxD) to open up the ever17PC_us.exe file and at offset 13337 hex, enter:

B8 01 00 00 00 EB 52

I don't have the time to look into this any further at the moment.

Okay, looks like I have a better fix. In a hex-editor, change a clean copy of ever17PC_us.exe at offset 41382F from:

1C 40 74

to:

1B 31 75

This hijacks a bit of code to reject fonts starting with '@', making it filter for fonts with FIXED_PITCH and FF_MODERN instead (i.e. the fonts we want). With this, Ever17 runs just as it did before on Windows 8.1! This fix should last until we have >100 types of fixed-pitch fonts installed on our systems.

Enjoy!

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

For some reason the fix isn't working for me. Both of my computers have 8.1 (the one came with it and the other forcibly updated from Windows 8 at some point - the game ran fine before on that one) and I still get the error message saying the game has crashed. It does get a bit farther than if I just an the original .exe (it gets to the end of SDR Project logo before cutting out) but still crashes nonetheless. Any ideas?

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 05/12/2016 at 2:01 AM, Joshua1207 said:

Can someone re-up this

Hey, I don't have the original, but I was looking for this answer too. Modified it myself using HxD and the values provided, on 8.1, works fine.

Since you asked pretty recently, I uploaded my modification. I don't have google drive, so a dropbox link will do?

You can download it as a .exe or a .rar file, people have their preferences right? Its a small executable either way:

EXE: https://www.dropbox.com/s/exwqfa5yxpo2ksy/ever17PC_us.exe?dl=0 (~360KB)

RAR: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4k6e45suvnoglpf/ever17PC_us.rar?dl=0 (~138KB)

EDIT: Did a tinypic upload of the values I changed in HxD:

2elwgp2.jpg

Edited by rtx
Added tinypic image of hex-edit.

• 2 years later...