hello lady question

snakezenn

hey all, considering getting hello lady but when I looked at it on vndb it said that the 2 of the characters that appealed to me visually were classic tsunderes. Generally I avoid Tsunderes completely as I have developed an aversion to the ones in anime. My question, is this so called classic tsundere the violent kind we see often in anime that just hits the main character for the most stupid of reasons? Or just the one that hides their feelings? The only visual novel I can think of where it has the tsundere I avoid is princess evangile where rise and chiho randomly start hitting the character out of jealousy, a total no go for doing their routes.

Edited by snakezenn

What I know is that both heroines has valid reason to hit the MC, namely that the MC himself is someone who like boobs and the first meeting for both of the heroines goes with the MC grabbed the boob for both of tsundere. That said though, if you prefer to not see the heroines fight the MC perhaps you better skip Hello Lady here (And the reason for why heroines fight the MC is more than said 'most stupid of reasons').

Edited by littleshogun

16 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

What I know is that both heroines has valid reason to hit the MC, namely that the MC himself is someone who like boobs and the first meeting for both of the heroines goes with the MC grabbed the boob for both of tsundere. That said though, if you prefer to not see the heroines fight the MC perhaps you better skip Hello Lady here (And the reason  for why heroines fight the MC is more than said 'most stupid of reasons').

So basically he groped them and they hit him? that is fine, it is more when the girls hit a guy for no real reason aka jealousy, not giving attention, things like that.

I read this novel a long time ago so I can't remember perfectly sorry. What I can say for sure though : I probably HATE this kind of characters as much as you (maybe even more for what I can tell) and even IF there was one or two 'abuses', the fact that I can't remember it proves in itself that is was not overbearing.

The fact that the MC is not the 'passive, silent and harmless' type would also make it largely more tolerable.

By the way : if you are speaking of Akahito Tamao and Otonashi Saku, they are probably closer to classic Tsun than modern, and reading your post, I've the feeling that you hate modern ones before all (like me). Also, they were probably my 2 preferred heroines (especially Saku).

Hope that helped. Oh, and you probably should read this VN.

Edited by Bredan

Short answer : I liked it very much, although it is not totally exempt of default for me.

Longer answer :

I've mainly two axes to judge a work :

- does I like the content ?

- does it induce some kind of strong feelings ?

For example : I could not like very much a story but it made me have some strong feelings anyway, be it even 'negatives' ones (hate, jealousy or whatever). In that aspect, it's sometimes somewhat hard for me to recommend something or simply say 'I liked it', as not liking a story but having had strong feelings induced can be viewed as another type of success for the work in itself I guess.

Back to Hello Lady! : it succeeded in both ways. I mainly liked the story and characters, and I had strong feelings (negative included). For the negative one in this particular case : I don't really like settings where females seem to outpower males on almost all fronts, especially when the sole reason is to be a female ('only females can use magic', 'only females can be gods medium', 'mahou shoujo exist but there is no male counterpart' etc., hate those). Like a lot of 'otaku' works', this story is a little tainted by this in my eyes, but despite this I liked the story/characters (and I felt some jealousy, especially toward Saku as me inserted in the MC). Also, the MC being very well voiced is a very strong point, and add to his persona a lot.

Hello Lady MC is one of a kind, in my opinion he is better than Senjou no Maou and Grisaia MCs since he is direct, does not give a shit and is quite overpowered, he cares more for his agenda than the girls.

The only downside is that since most other mcs are shit in comparison, it will be quite a long time since we see another mc like this one.

31 minutes ago, philipmikh said:

Hello Lady MC is one of a kind, in my opinion he is better than Senjou no Maou and Grisaia MCs since he is direct, does not give a shit and is quite overpowered, he cares more for his agenda than the girls.

The only downside is that since most other mcs are shit in comparison, it will be quite a long time since we see another mc like this one.

Yes, he is excellent. I really like some other MCs (Devils Devil Concept's one for example) but to some extent, I would have to go seek a similar MC in the LN/anime world (Arifureta ?) or maybe Chinese/Wuxia/Xianxia anti-hero/revenge hero. Well, kinda.

On 1/24/2022 at 12:54 AM, snakezenn said:

So basically he groped them and they hit him? that is fine, it is more when the girls hit a guy for no real reason aka jealousy, not giving attention, things like that.

No, there is none of that type of tsundere in this VN.  Both tsunderes (Tamao and Saku) have good reason for acting the way they do.  To be honest, I dunno if it is really the best to call them tsunderes, since there is none of that bashful mixed signal BS.

17 hours ago, Bredan said:

Yes, he is excellent. I really like some other MCs (Devils Devil Concept's one for example) but to some extent, I would have to go seek a similar MC in the LN/anime world (Arifureta ?) or maybe Chinese/Wuxia/Xianxia anti-hero/revenge hero. Well, kinda.

The web novel version of Hajime is pretty awesome, and he only gets better in the epilogue, lol.  

58 minutes ago, Clephas said:

No, there is none of that type of tsundere in this VN.  Both tsunderes (Tamao and Saku) have good reason for acting the way they do.  To be honest, I dunno if it is really the best to call them tsunderes, since there is none of that bashful mixed signal BS.

The web novel version of Hajime is pretty awesome, and he only gets better in the epilogue, lol.  

Oh, good to know. The LN is still a bit fresh in my mind but after more time will have passed I'll make sure to read the WN.

By the way, when you speak of epilogue, you mean all those After Stories I can see on 小説家になろう ? They seem to be as long as the main story lol.

8 hours ago, Bredan said:

Oh, good to know. The LN is still a bit fresh in my mind but after more time will have passed I'll make sure to read the WN.

By the way, when you speak of epilogue, you mean all those After Stories I can see on 小説家になろう ? They seem to be as long as the main story lol.

Yeah, I'm talking about the ones on syosetu.  They are just about as long as the main story and are ongoing.  There are also several major story arcs in addition to a bunch of short stories, including three involving Kousuke and two involving Kouki.  

On 1/24/2022 at 12:35 AM, Bredan said:

I read this novel a long time ago so I can't remember perfectly sorry. What I can say for sure though : I probably HATE this kind of characters as much as you (maybe even more for what I can tell) and even IF there was one or two 'abuses', the fact that I can't remember it proves in itself that is was not overbearing.

The fact that the MC is not the 'passive, silent and harmless' type would also make it largely more tolerable.

By the way : if you are speaking of Akahito Tamao and Otonashi Saku, they are probably closer to classic Tsun than modern, and reading your post, I've the feeling that you hate modern ones before all (like me). Also, they were probably my 2 preferred heroines (especially Saku).

Hope that helped. Oh, and you probably should read this VN.

On 1/25/2022 at 5:08 AM, Clephas said:

Yeah, those were the two that I was talking about and on VNDB it said they were classic tsunderes which I am still not too sure what exactly that means. Anyway thanks for the replies I will have to check it out.

Edited by snakezenn

1 hour ago, snakezenn said:

Yeah, those were the two that I was talking about and on VNDB it said they were classic tsunderes which I am still not too sure what exactly that means. Anyway thanks for the replies I will have to check it out.

Classic tsundere, in practical terms, usually refers to a heroine who covers up their affections with a thorny attitude.  The reason I say this doesn't apply here is because Saku and Tamao straight-out don't like Shinri at the beginning.

11 hours ago, Clephas said:

Classic tsundere, in practical terms, usually refers to a heroine who covers up their affections with a thorny attitude.  The reason I say this doesn't apply here is because Saku and Tamao straight-out don't like Shinri at the beginning.

Then the modern tsundere is like that but is the violent type? aka hitting the guy/gal she likes because jealousy etc?

To me, the difference is more in the life cycle, not that much in the expression of the 'thorny attitude' (that could be anything from violent words to physical violence or anything for both)  :

- the classic Tsundere would generally slowly but steadily go from Tsun to Dere and, arrived, would mainly remain Dere ;

- the modern Tsundere would repeat almost endlessly the cycle Tsun to Dere to Tsun to Dere to Tsun.... blushing shyly while hitting to death the cause of their blushing maybe ?

Well anyways, I'm sure others would point you to other differences but that's my take on it.

Classic Tsundere is more tolerable for me (sometimes likeable) because the character is often far more coherent and even if the character is too violent/irrational (which, I feel, happens less often than with the modern Tsundere), it should happen in a limited time in the story since the character should undergo Tsun to Dere cycle one time only (or at least not continuously).

Edited by Bredan

33 minutes ago, Bredan said:

To me, the difference is more in the life cycle, not that much in the expression of the 'thorny attitude' (that could be anything from violent words to physical violence or anything for both)  :

- the classic Tsundere would generally slowly but steadily go from Tsun to Dere and, arrived, would mainly remain Dere ;

- the modern Tsundere would repeat almost endlessly the cycle Tsun to Dere to Tsun to Dere to Tsun.... blushing shyly while hitting to death the cause of their blushing maybe ?

Well anyways, I'm sure others would point you to other differences but that's my take on it.

Classic Tsundere is more tolerable for me (sometimes likeable) because the character is often far more coherent and even if the character is too violent/irrational (which, I feel, happens less often than with the modern Tsundere), it should happen in a limited time in the story since the character should undergo Tsun to Dere cycle one time only (or at least not continuously).

That makes a lot of sense, definitely have to agree hard pass on modern tsun while classic can be good.