Is shiravune good?

Silvz

4 hours ago, Silvz said:

Just curious. I see that they have released a ton of new games and are announcing a lot more. Are their translations good? Can I expect quality from them?

For biggername titles, their translations are good. For shorter and less noteworthy VNs, it's a mixed bag. Nukige and similar suffer from some obvious QC and editing issues, but are nonetheless playable. If you're looking to grab biggername VNs from them, it should be fine. However, for titles not available on Steam, you may have trouble buying them directly through their own site. Some cards just don't work, and you have to go to Offgamers to buy coins (the currency their site uses).

The titles I've read have seemed fine to me, but I can't really say anything about the actual accuracy of the translations since I haven't compared them to the Japanese originals.
The only thing that annoys me somewhat is that they remove honorifics, opting instead for the use of "brother", "Mr." and such.

I'm reading things in Japanese for many years now and I've to say that when I really care for what I'm reading I'll 100% chose to read the JP version even if I've the English or French version at disposition. I was kinda surprised to act like this at first, but that's how big a quality difference there is to me, even with reputed good translators.

Well, I'm arriving to my point : although I eventually switched back to JP version, I've read a bit of Primal Hearts 2 in English and I felt that at least the beginning was quite well translated.

On the technical side:

Their stuff is mosaic'd. So uncensored Smee games from Nekonyan stand side by side with the censored HaremKingdom, which Smee somehow gave to Shiravune instead.

For tech stuff, Primal Hearts 1 and 2 are absolute banger VNs and have 0 issues. But Study§Steady is actually unplayable and they will NOT refund you, even if it crashes every 10 lines.

Edited by TexasDice

51 minutes ago, wyldstrykr said:

i have frame rate issues with study steady and with the marsmallow vn too but thats probably because my pc is a potato

I have the feeling it's not OK to have frame rate issues with a VN on a potato when we are speaking of a 2022-criterium-potato. Does the Chinese version of PowerPoint really needs hardware acceleration and a SSD ?

On 1/18/2022 at 11:19 PM, Shaun said:

I disagree with this, it is very playable, I never had any issues with it.

On 1/19/2022 at 10:08 AM, Shaun said:

No issues with that as well.

Do you know that guy, who in help forum threads always goes "works for me" and never contributes anything meaningful? That guy every single google searcher hates and despises?

You are that guy.

• 2 weeks later...

Well outside of their questionable translation choice at Kamiyaba and Primal Hearts duology so much that 4chan did create the patch to remove said translation choice, I would say that they're more or less fine to a degree. If anything else at least their translation is not on Your Diary level anymore, although they still need to fulfill their promise to fix Your Diary translation though. As for their library, well we may see more interesting title in the future.

• 7 months later...

I've been getting mixed messages about Shiravune as a English localizer/publisher.  On one hand, many of their early releases were professional quality.  On the other hand, I've heard that quality in their later releases has been inconsistent--they seem to have partnered with many different contractors of varying competence to increase throughput and reduce costs.  Then there's the censorship: they've done some very weird things like censoring a shota protagonist out of the HCG.

Edited by sanahtlig

I believe they eventually (but it took a while) released a patch that freed the shota, but it was a pretty high level move indeed...

Generally same opinion as sanah. To add is that they tend to hire translation agencies (to keep up with how much DMM japan side demands they push out? maybe), which makes them unable to credit the translators often (besides the usual bad quality a translation agency offers). When they can credit, they do, however.