Rewrite criticism

Assistance

Im curious to know why people like rewrite as much as they do. The reason for this is because i went into this game expecting some great and go mediocre writing up until the last routes in the game. Those routes are both Akane's and Moon but that's not what i really want to talk about. I'd like to talk about the bad points in the story and i saw pretty frequently yet i've seen no one talk about any of these problems. One of the main problems that i've notice is Kotarou's decisions and how most the time they really don't make any sense. For example he could be in a really bad situation a situation where he could easily be a stain on the wall in the next few seconds yet he doesn't really push himself despite having such a strong ability.

They give him this really strong ability right but they usually do nothing with it in about 75% of these routes and when they do in some of the routes it doesn't make alot of sense. Im gonna use another example like how he was having trouble fighting the wolves in the terra route as a trained solder yet in chihaya's and the common route if i remember maybe there was a few other times where this happened in other routes as well. He was able to take out the same familiar he had to choke to death in the terra route with ease because the ability allowed his to cut through them like butter yet he calls his ability bad and never really pushes his abilities at all in some of the routes.

Like when he did in chihaya's route lets use the fight against the supposedly "strongest familiar" that wasn't sakuya he had to make a choice about whether to rewrite his ability or not like he wasn't in a position where he would die otherwise. Hell sakuya had to come and save him in that situation because he was worried about using his power because he would become inhuman if he like he hasn't used it as a kid. Another thing i'd like to bring up is how he knows what the name of his ability is and how it uses his life energy to work its magic. Throughout the entirety of rewrite i've read through there wasn't a single time i can remember except in shizuru's route and terra as well as akane's route near the end about superhuman abilities using life energy.

Like seriously there is no real indication that he's actually losing life energy most of the time so how does he know a feeling? How do you know what life energy feels like is my question. Moving on to another point watching kotarou go through this story with these bad decisions made me want to tear my eyes out at times like my god he went into the military and got all emotional because some kids he knew died. Ok i understand that can effect a man emotionally but he's already killed people from what he knew and basically him not killing those children was him abandoning his comrades that he was working with yet he has the nerve to criticize his higher up because he knew those kids? He makes multiple bad choices in the story like how in shizuru's route he goes into the forces anyway despite being warned by what 3 people or was it just shizuru personally i can't remember but in the end it got him killed pretty much.

I also would like to know why he willingly walked into harms way during the ending of shizuru's route it wasn't really explained so from what we saw he was basically commiting suicide despite telling shizuru multiple times that he'd be by her side and failed at the promise he made twice both pretty much ending in him dying. The only 3 routes that were considered good to me was lucia's akane's and the moon route although i did like most of the cast that wasn't enough from me not to pick up on loopholes in the story and such. Like if they didn't want to put a focus on powers being in the story why make kotarou's so strong. Like if he used his life energy couldn't he hypothetically rewrite himself to make it where life energy no longer effects his ability like how lucia's poison no longer effects him. These parts of the story REALLY bothered me while i was reading.

It especially bothered me when i found out that the ability he has is basically connected to the earth to the point where he's basically a god yet we don't seem him push that far at all like there was 0 reason to make his ability this strong is he was just gonna be this irresponsible with it and no use it much. Ill say one more point that bothers me if kagari right wanted to you know get help to save the world why Kotarou? There is absolutely no reason for her to choose him as a partner besides the fact that she knew him from another time line who's to say that he's the same in that timeline which he isn't. Why not pick someone to do the job lik shizuru a character like her has been proven to be able to handle a situation like considering how calm she is about these things and how she'll handle them with hesitation more than likely just based off what we see when she's in the picture  she also looks to be one of the most skillful characters in the visual novel yet her route is just so mediocre. The good things about rewrite mainly came from the girls being generally nice characters overall the music and that's about it everything else felt long and drawn out for no reason at all considering that there were alot of plot holes some scenes and moments felt really empty anyway this is the end of this for now. 

Edited by Assistance

People who think Rewrite is crap rarely talk about Rewrite, whereas the ignora- *coughs* Ahem, fanboys who think anything Key is automatically gold praise it up one side and down the other.  I didn't hate Rewrite... but as someone who plays most of the games from the same genre, I can tell you it is on the lower end in terms of overall quality, with the last routes being the exception.  Within the same genre, Tokyo Babel and Dies Irae are much higher quality (incomparably higher quality).

On 12/16/2021 at 9:31 PM, Clephas said:

People who think Rewrite is crap rarely talk about Rewrite, whereas the ignora- *coughs* Ahem, fanboys who think anything Key is automatically gold praise it up one side and down the other.  I didn't hate Rewrite... but as someone who plays most of the games from the same genre, I can tell you it is on the lower end in terms of overall quality, with the last routes being the exception.  Within the same genre, Tokyo Babel and Dies Irae are much higher quality (incomparably higher quality).

Yeah i didn't hate it either but i don't like the fact that i had to wait through most of the story to you know get to the good stuff only to be disappointed after the moon route since terra was pretty mediocre in writing due the ups and downs with kotarou's ability and it not being handled well. Like how he could buff his strength up to 8x of a normal human and just not want to do it in one route. It had alot of inconsistency up until akane's route and lucia's and that's what i disliked. I liked the music and the characters as well as the plot but it wasn't handled well at all and it makes me sad.  

I have heard that Romeo sensei's Japanese writing isnt done justice in English translation... what are your thoughts on it? 

Considering the hype around Rewrite, I will buy it soon, but I am not sure if I read it any time before the new year, and definitely while ignoring the hype.. like a rewritten blank slate. 

1 hour ago, sid.vnlr said:

I have heard that Romeo sensei's Japanese writing isnt done justice in English translation... what are your thoughts on it? 

Considering the hype around Rewrite, I will buy it soon, but I am not sure if I read it any time before the new year, and definitely while ignoring the hype.. like a rewritten blank slate. 

Well im not sure but if that's the case the english tranlation was the reason why the story had some much stupid moments for me like how he knew what his ability did but didn't know in most in the routes what it actually did. I wouldn't recommend it personally but maybe it'll be different for you. 

20 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I'll give you one thing, my reasons for liking Rewrite have absolutely nothing to do with the plot (music and comedy). In fact, I'm more in my zone until the routes start, and in fact I did skip the final "true"(?) route of Terra.

Im not sure what you mean did you just like the humor and music only? If that's the case i can understand because it did those things really well for me the humor kinda fell off at times but overall pretty good and the music just 10/10.

3 hours ago, Assistance said:

Im not sure what you mean did you just like the humor and music only? If that's the case i can understand because it did those things really well for me the humor kinda fell off at times but overall pretty good and the music just 10/10.

Yeah; like most Key titles what I really like are the common route and character interactions, as well as the music.

In games like Little Busters! I actually kind of enjoy the ending routes as well, but for most Key games I have to admit I end up not liking them too much, or not even playing them, like with Air, Kanon and Clannad.

For this reason, despite how different Rewrite actually is from other Key titles, in terms of my actual experience it ends up similar.

I like key works if im being honest. There usually pretty nice to just relax and read through but rewrite again felt off it wasn't due to it being different i think it was due to it having different writers. Most people i've seen kinda blame it on the fact that Jun Maeda isn't really involved with it but i think that's just an excuse because just because he's not involved doesn't mean that most routes should be badly done and so on.

That just make any sense even if he wasn't completely involved with rewrite. That's just how i feel about it. I liked little busters but it did feel like it was dragging on at times but that was just a small thing for me the ending for little busters was what got me to continue reading through it. It was nice to go through although Kud's route is still my favorite due to it being the only one with any real tension right next to refrain for me. Clannad i've never finished sadly because i only wanted to read one of the routes there and that involved Tomoyo and her after story which my god did i enjoy those routes to the point that every other route i tried to do kinda just felt empty and boring. Hell i didn't even like the main female lead for Clannad honestly hated seeing her everytime she came on the screen and that's just due to her being boring to me. 

But yeah i can understand how your experience might have been more different than mines and im glad some people are willing to point out that rewrite isn't as good as most people made it out to be.

8 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Yeah; like most Key titles what I really like are the common route and character interactions, as well as the music.

In games like Little Busters! I actually kind of enjoy the ending routes as well, but for most Key games I have to admit I end up not liking them too much, or not even playing them, like with Air, Kanon and Clannad.

For this reason, despite how different Rewrite actually is from other Key titles, in terms of my actual experience it ends up similar.

15 hours ago, Assistance said:

Yeah i didn't hate it either but i don't like the fact that i had to wait through most of the story to you know get to the good stuff only to be disappointed after the moon route since terra was pretty mediocre in writing due the ups and downs with kotarou's ability and it not being handled well. Like how he could buff his strength up to 8x of a normal human and just not want to do it in one route. It had alot of inconsistency up until akane's route and lucia's and that's what i disliked. I liked the music and the characters as well as the plot but it wasn't handled well at all and it makes me sad.  

They tried too hard to channel 'the Earth is Angry' fantasy sub-genre that was popular back in the nineties.  I felt like I was looking at a weakened half-assed comedy version of X sometimes.

4 hours ago, Clephas said:

They tried too hard to channel 'the Earth is Angry' fantasy sub-genre that was popular back in the nineties.  I felt like I was looking at a weakened half-assed comedy version of X sometimes.

Exactly it just didn't have any tension to me through most of the playthrough. So every time they bought it up they weren't really doing it in a way to keep me interested since were looking through the eyes of the protagonist he was always in the background. It got so annoying that i kinda just listed this visual novel as one of the worst i've read there is definitely worse but im only really just getting into visual novels right now. I've read a few of the ones that most people hear about that being steins gate dies irae(Didn't finish this one due to me breaking my pc) Chaos head Chaos child Majikoi Majikoi S Sengoku rance(didn't finish) Fate/stay night and Tsukihime. When i compare it to those i just shake my head man. 

On 12/18/2021 at 10:19 AM, Assistance said:

Well im not sure but if that's the case the english tranlation was the reason why the story had some much stupid moments for me like how he knew what his ability did but didn't know in most in the routes what it actually did. I wouldn't recommend it personally but maybe it'll be different for you. 

Got it. I think i will read it myself, I have waited long for Rewrite to be available for sale, so I dont mind if translation is a bit off.