10 Visual Novels with an Interesting English Release History

NowItsAngeTime

• 3 weeks later...

Late to comment here. As for the releases, most of those are what I say redundant in that it's in regard of a VN that already has the translation was re-release by other party. For the topic, there are several other example that can be fit to the title, such as Pulltop's Lovekami series that were available for overseas first (Of course they'd re-release those with sex scenes in Japan) and Taisho Alice in which it's very necessary to have re-release because the initial version has several problem with the famous katakana Alice is the least problem to me. Sharin can also counted as it has interesting circumstance, because it already has translation available and Frontwing keep messed up with the build for the official release until now. Also in regard of Laplacian, their situation is almost like Purple Software in which they trusted multiple publishers, although the difference is that Purple Software still didn't attempt to localize the title by themselves yet along with them still can sell Chrono Clock with Sekai. That's all for what I can comment in regard of this video.

PS - As for Dracu Riot, it also tied with Decay as VNDB mod so he has some influence to mark the leaked patch as partial patch (That he immediately deleted only that he has been too late for it), at least until an user challenge the marking because it can be say that Decay here has personal reason for the marking. Well all of those are in the past, and Sekai did pick this first before moved out to Nekonyan after several months (ie 18 months) was put it on the ice.

Edited by littleshogun

30 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

Late to comment here. As for the releases, most of those are what I say redundant in that it's in regard of a VN that already has the translation was re-release by other party. For the topic, there are several other example that can be fit to the title, such as Pulltop's Lovekami series that were available for overseas first (Of course they'd re-release those with sex scenes in Japan) and Taisho Alice in which it's very neccesary to have re-release because the initial version has several problem with the famous katakana Alice is the least problem to me. Sharin can also counted as has interesting circumstance, because it already has translation available and Frontwing keep messed up with the build for the official release until now. Also in regard of Laplacian, their situation is almost like Purple Software in which they trusted multiple publishers, although the difference is that they still didn't attempt to localize the title by themselves yet. I guess that's all for what I can comment in regard of this video.

PS - Speaking of Dracu Riot, it also tied with Decay as VNDB mod so he has some influence to mark the leaked patch as partial patch (That he immediateley deleted only that he has been too late for it) at least until an user challenge the marking because it can be say that Decay here has personal reason for the marking. Well all of those are in the past, and also Sekai did pick this first before moved out to Nekonyan after several months was put on the ice.

Lovekami is interesting but at the same time I don't know anyone who even cares about that VN so I likely wouldn't have talked about it.

I did not know about the Taisho x Alice thing, I'll have to look into that.

Sharin no Kuni... If/when it actually releases I would definitely talk about it, there's too much hilarity with that one. It'd be good for a sequel vid cuz I'm sure frontwing will keep piling on.

I agree most people wouldn't care much about that VN (Lovekami), and I did say several times that it's most likely Pulltop's answer to Sakura series so I'm pretty much whatever in regard of Pulltop did re-release it with sex scenes in Japan. It's still interesting though that they released it overseas first.

As for Taisho Alice, well there's several threads on Fuwanovel if you want to start some research on that matter. While I did say that it's possible for the translator to change the name of Alice (I suggested Alicia while Rooke suggested Alyce), turned out that Verdelish goes with 'Alice and Arisu'. The Japanese VA clearly say 'hiragana Alice and katakana Alice' in which it's obviously would make the attempt to directly translate it ended up awkward, so Verdelish here chose to use the Japanese spelling of Alice to localize the second Alice.

For Sharin, turned out they manage to spiraling the problem that starting from a single bug in the feature and now they decided to port it to the new engine, which to say is quite entertaining especially with the solution to the problem is quite simple (Just release it without the feature that cause the bug (ie the ability to change the screen between 4:3 and 16:9)). Then again, Frontwing is really responsible to fulfill their Kickstarter promise so much that they decided to delay five years old project to make sure that the release would be free of bug even though they can just release it immediately and provided the bugfix later. Well let's see if Frontwing will keep entertaining us or finally manage to get it done within six months later.

Edited by littleshogun

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, ciel_yuri said:

If Jast would just publish a proper English version of Phantom of Inferno then it would have a pretty interesting release history;)
I can't stand the DVD player format. They find so many ways to inconvenience and frustrate me...

I could see it happen eventually but it'd take a lot of reprogramming, or worse, retranslating it from the ground up

Well in regard of Phantom of Inferno, actually they can just translate backport from XBOX 360 seeing that it has better graphic while the old version graphic has rather outdated graphic. Although the backport version is obviously didn't have the sex scenes, but on the other hand it mean JAST has a chance to release this on Steam. As for the retranslation, considering mod Beliar did point out numerous mistake from DVD version of course JAST should work on it if they want to release this in English. So yeah rather than say it'll take a lot of programming and retranslating, I'll say that it'll take a lot programming and retranslating along with negotiating with Valve to see this translated in English (Assuming that JAST indeed want to release this on Steam).

Edited by littleshogun