Any good anime adaptions of VNs guys?

Rahman N

Just completed some Key VNs. Rewrite Anime adaptation is beyond repair. Little busters refrain is the only plus point. Didn't read Clannad to compare it to Anime. Can you guys recommend some of the good anime adaptations of VNs which stays true to the plot of VN. (Saw some animes with just VN adaptions in name only too T.T)

Grisaia adaptations have their own charm IMO. They aren't great, but for the most part, they capture the spirit of the series and do a fine job of rewriting Kajitsu in a way that makes sense for the sequels.

School Days is a faithful adaptation of the game's worst route. Which means it kind of awful and kind of glorious, depending on how you look at it. I'll forever be a staunch defender of both, although probably it's not what you were looking for when asking for "good" series. xD

Is Fate worth mentioning in this context? At the very least, Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel are very highly rated.

1 hour ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Is Fate worth mentioning in this context? At the very least, Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel are very highly rated.

Well, the ufotable version of UBW. Dean version is known to be a complete mess. The original Fate anime is also pretty bad.

Well, I'll add 2006 Higurashi to the list of good VN adaptations. It has some issues, and it's not a perfect adaptation, but it's okay.

As for Key, Planetarian and Air anime are pretty good. So is Kanon, but I haven't played the original VN, so I can't compare it to the anime.

Ps. Also, does anyone know, is Island anime okay? I don't remember hearing any particularly angry rants about it that seem to follow after any particularly bad adaptation of a VN comes out.

May as well seconded Grisaia trilogy here, because while Kajitsu here did cut a lot of contents (Well they forced to compress 50 hours length contents into 13 episodes) at least they did good job enough when it come to the streamlining the story in which it's what the VN trilogy attempt to do and the result is obviously a lot of inconsistent continuity between the trilogy because Kajitsu here is basically a complete VN. Other than that, Air and Kanon 2006 has good reception enough. Also there's both of Utawarerumono and White Album 2 in which both are have good reception, although admittedly both VNs are a linear one and White Album 2 here was only adapted the first part of it. Lastly I can mention ef here as well, in that it retain the good art style. I hope that my answer here can be helpful to you.

PS - There's also some anime that didn't really faithfully adapt the characters as well, and those two examples are Shuffle and 11eyes in which I can only say that they anime staffs may have some negative bias towards some characters so much that they made the characters in the adaptation worse.

Edited by littleshogun

Despite it being a confusing mess, Air had incredible production values and really powerful tear-jerking scenes.  The problem with it was that, like many anime based off of VNs early on, it mashed all the routes together into an amalgamation.  As such, it felt like the heroine routes' high points were strung together in a row.  

Honestly, the anime that came from a VN I thought was the most enjoyable was Shuffle.  Shuffle's anime, similar to Air's, also mashes the heroine routes together, but it handles it slightly better.  It also massively enhances Kaede's yandere side.

On 11/17/2021 at 6:39 PM, Zidan209 said:

Steins;Gate and Clannad are arguably the only good ones. Both of them being really highly rated in both mediums (at least the After story in Clannad's case)

Shame you didn't mention Kanon's 2006 adaptation, as it's not just a good adaptation but one of the very few instances where the anime adaptation probably surpassed it's source material. And those who know me, know I thought long and hard before arriving at that conclusion. 

I would certainly recommend Little Busters, but you said that you didn't like it, though I hope you gave the whole series a shot, including LB!EX OVAs.
Other than that, Phantom: Requiem for Phantom is an astonishing recreation of Phantom: Integration. So astonishing that Nitro+ remade Phantom based on that anime's style.

On 11/21/2021 at 8:00 AM, Zalor said:

Shame you didn't mention Kanon's 2006 adaptation, as it's not just a good adaptation but one of the very few instances where the anime adaptation probably surpassed it's source material. And those who know me, know I thought long and hard before arriving at that conclusion. 

Well I didn't Read Kanon VN.
But I enjoyed the anime and its routes more than afterstory of Clannad though.
Thanks for suggestion!

On 11/17/2021 at 3:09 PM, Zidan209 said:

Steins;Gate and Clannad are arguably the only good ones. Both of them being really highly rated in both mediums (at least the After story in Clannad's case)

I completed both anime and Stil didn't touch their respective source VNs.
Thanks for suggestion! 🤗