Seeking recommendations

langosta

Hello there! I'm looking for VN recommendations, kind of a newbie in terms of quantity of what I've read so I will listen to them all. Things I like are mystery, slice of life, horror, depressing stuff, and I'm a sucker for religious themes and/or symbolism. I dislike romance routes but I can forgive it if the characters are interesting, and I'd prefer no ero scenes at all (unless its GL or BL, esp if they have guro in it lol)

Here's a lisf of my favourites for reference:

• Umineko
  • Phoenix Wright series
  • Fate/Hollow Ataraxia

Thanks in advance!

Tokyo Babel.  Basically, a bunch of angels and demons are guiding humans through Purgatory in an attempt to gain mercy from God before it squishes all the parallel universes like empty soda cans.  No ero content.  Available on Steam.

Ayakashibito- Same writer as Tokyo Babel, less action focused.  A version of Japan where people begin displaying habits and powers of youkai and are persecuted for it.  A solid mix of SOL, action, and plot.  Has ero content, but it isn't a major focus.  

Dies Irae- Over the top fantasy action with crazy antagonists and a brooding protagonist.  Makes Fate look tame.  Basic version has no ero.  Available on Steam.

Muv-Luv series

- Generally considered one of the best VN series around, mainly for Alternative, but Extra and Unlimited are pre-requisites. Revolves around a post-apoclayptic world where humans have been pushed to the brink of extinction due to a alien species known as BETA (Beings of Extra-Terrestrial origin and Adversary of the human race). Humans have developed Tactical Surface Fighters (TSF) which are basically giant robots which are the only weapon effective against the BETA. The series revolves around a guy named Takeru who is somehow able to cross worlds and his attempt to save the human race. This is the most understated explanation of the game, but if you read any reviews, this VN series is almost universally praised.

Aokana - Four Rhythms Across The Blue

- A world where humans discovered an anti-gravity particle that allows them to fly. They develop a game/sport called Flying Circus (FC) where they fly around to touch buoys to score points. The story revolves around a guy who was once an up-and-coming star in FC, but gave up his dreams for some reason. Considered one of the best character-driven game of all time and one of Sprite's best works. There's an all-age version available.

Planetarian

- Short (About 5-10 hours) story about a human and an female android in a post-apocalyptic world. It is considered one of Key's better works and is all-ages.

*eden

- Short (5-10 hours) story about humanity's decision to leave Earth due to a comet which would hit Earth in a couple of years. Resolves around a hyper-intelligent bio-engineered girl who decides to remain on this planet and the guy who decides to stay with her until the end. Base version is all-ages.

Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo, and its sequel, Yuukyuu no Shounenshoujo

- Revolves around a group of elites called Special High-Class Individual who are tasked with re-educating and reforming criminals. The main character is on his final exam to be a Special High-Class Individual and his final test is to reform 4 girls. One of the best character-driven VNs ever.

G-senjou no Maou

- Revolves around the brain of a yakuza enterprise, an extremely intelligent girl and a mysterious hyper-intelligent criminal called Maou. A cat and mouse game between the girl and Maou ensues. If you like wit battles, this game will be a god-send.

Edited by LAsuka

If you need some more recommendations, perhaps you can try something like Iwaihime, Saya no Uta, Kimikoi, Pygmalion, Raging Loop, Ouka Sabaki, Sorcery Joker, Ever17, Somnium, I/O, Root Double, Remember11, and Muramasa. I don't know if you already play those VNs or not, but regardless of that I hope my recommendations here can be helpful to you.

Edited by littleshogun

• 2 weeks later...

(putting all the quotes under a spoiler. sorry it took long!) 

Spoiler
On 11/12/2021 at 4:04 AM, Clephas said:

Tokyo Babel.  Basically, a bunch of angels and demons are guiding humans through Purgatory in an attempt to gain mercy from God before it squishes all the parallel universes like empty soda cans.  No ero content.  Available on Steam.

Ayakashibito- Same writer as Tokyo Babel, less action focused.  A version of Japan where people begin displaying habits and powers of youkai and are persecuted for it.  A solid mix of SOL, action, and plot.  Has ero content, but it isn't a major focus.  

Dies Irae- Over the top fantasy action with crazy antagonists and a brooding protagonist.  Makes Fate look tame.  Basic version has no ero.  Available on Steam.

Thanks for your recommendations! I remember trying to read the first part of Dies Irae, but it just wasn't for me. Action isn't something I truly enjoy if it isn't just for some specific parts, and that's the reason I put Fate H/A over the original VN. I'm definitely interested in Ayakashibito though! I will make sure to add it to my list :D

Spoiler
On 11/14/2021 at 10:00 AM, LAsuka said:

Muv-Luv series

- Generally considered one of the best VN series around, mainly for Alternative, but Extra and Unlimited are pre-requisites. Revolves around a post-apoclayptic world where humans have been pushed to the brink of extinction due to a alien species known as BETA (Beings of Extra-Terrestrial origin and Adversary of the human race). Humans have developed Tactical Surface Fighters (TSF) which are basically giant robots which are the only weapon effective against the BETA. The series revolves around a guy named Takeru who is somehow able to cross worlds and his attempt to save the human race. This is the most understated explanation of the game, but if you read any reviews, this VN series is almost universally praised.

Aokana - Four Rhythms Across The Blue

- A world where humans discovered an anti-gravity particle that allows them to fly. They develop a game/sport called Flying Circus (FC) where they fly around to touch buoys to score points. The story revolves around a guy who was once an up-and-coming star in FC, but gave up his dreams for some reason. Considered one of the best character-driven game of all time and one of Sprite's best works. There's an all-age version available.

Planetarian

- Short (About 5-10 hours) story about a human and an female android in a post-apocalyptic world. It is considered one of Key's better works and is all-ages.

*eden

- Short (5-10 hours) story about humanity's decision to leave Earth due to a comet which would hit Earth in a couple of years. Resolves around a hyper-intelligent bio-engineered girl who decides to remain on this planet and the guy who decides to stay with her until the end. Base version is all-ages.

Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo, and its sequel, Yuukyuu no Shounenshoujo

- Revolves around a group of elites called Special High-Class Individual who are tasked with re-educating and reforming criminals. The main character is on his final exam to be a Special High-Class Individual and his final test is to reform 4 girls. One of the best character-driven VNs ever.

G-senjou no Maou

- Revolves around the brain of a yakuza enterprise, an extremely intelligent girl and a mysterious hyper-intelligent criminal called Maou. A cat and mouse game between the girl and Maou ensues. If you like wit battles, this game will be a god-send.

Thanks for your recommendations too! I'm not really a fan of the male protagonist + an all female cast combination though x_x I've heard wonders of Muv Luv but I don't know if I could put up with having two previous games mainly centered in romance... I could say the same for some others you recommended. I don't want to judge ahead of time but I'd like to know if it's really worth it despite my dislike, I can always change my mind!

Planetarian and G-senjou no Maou seem to be up my alley, I'll be checking them out :lol: Oh and maybe it's just me but I can't find any *eden information (probably because of the asterisk) :(

Spoiler
On 11/19/2021 at 2:32 AM, littleshogun said:

If you need some more recommendations, perhaps you can try something like Iwaihime, Saya no Uta, Kimikoi, Pygmalion, Raging Loop, Ouka Sabaki, Sorcery Joker, Ever17, Somnium, I/O, Root Double, Remember11, and Muramasa. I don't know if you already play those VNs or not, but regardless of that I hope my recommendations here can be helpful to you.

I don't know if you went inside my mind to know exactly what I'm searching for since I was really vague, because I'm definitely interested in ALL of these!! I'm so excited to read them, but so sorry at the same time since I'm in the middle of finals :cry: but I should start making room for VNs with all the recommendations above too :P

-----------

First of all sorry if I seem petty in those responses!! I thought it was better to let you know my opinion since you took the time to write really interesting recoomendations and also add a description to each of them, it was really helpful and I can't thank you enough for that, I didn't know half of these existed. See you next time!

Edited by langosta