Windows 11 and VNs

Sparteh

Since Windows 11 is in the state where it is now available through windows update, I would like to ask for other VN readers experience, how are VNs on Windows 11. Is everything working properly, do they even open etc. I don't think that I am the only one interested in this question, so I thought that it would be nice to have a place to share our experience.

Edited by Sparteh

I wouldn't upgrade to it yet as it still has issues and I don't ever plan to upgrade to it since Microsoft decided to ruin the start menu, can't go full screen, programs, apps and folders can't be pinned to the start menu anymore (no folder view on start menu either and the pinning feature has been completely removed and not supported) and start menu information is not transferred over when you upgrade from Windows 10 to 11.

I've been using the Insider version of Windows 11 for a while already, and everything I've tried to run on it so far, VNs and regular games alike, have all worked flawlessly. There are some things about Windows 11 that some people might not like, but when it comes to gaming, I can't make a single complaint based on my experience so far.

That said, I have yet to try any old titles that are known to have issues on modern systems, so I can't really give any input on what those are like.

As for me recently I just change my Windows from 7 to 10, although it's less because I want it and more because it's the necessity that my laptop came up with Windows 10. So of course I didn't have plan to change it to Windows 11 in the near future (Duh), unless something major happened with my laptop that forced me to do some re-install. That said, seeing that several VNs did need patch to run on Windows 8 I suppose some of the older VN may not be able to run on Windows 11, although it's probably limited to the old VN from what I can see.

Edited by littleshogun

In my experience, backwards compatibility and effectiveness of compatibility modes was only improving in latest editions of Windows, I don't imagine 11 giving you problems on many apps that work on 10, although it might be different for fringe cases that require some obscure tricks to get running. The only reason I'd discourage switching to 11 is that the early adopter experience by default has mostly downsides, unless you're really into that kind stuff.

13 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

backwards compatibility and effectiveness of compatibility modes was only improving in latest editions of Windows

Yeah, at the very least, I could play Moon, One and a bunch of other "problematic" VNs without any issues on Windows 10. The only thing I couldn't get to run properly on that OS was School Days and Shiny Days, which kept crashing every few minutes despite patching the games and trying out various other solutions.
I'm pretty sure Windows 11 will run a vast majority of VNs completely hassle-free.

I guess I'm wrong in regard on some VNs can't run on Windows 11, so my bad about that. That said, I think some VNs may still have some limitation if run on newer Windows, and the example that I can think of is Gekkou no Carnevale in that it'll be freeze if the player click some menu functions so much that they need to use keyboard shortcut to access the menu functions (I don't know though if it's because of the translation patch or not). So yeah while Windows 11 may be able to run all of the VNs, some of the older VNs may have some problem if it's run on Windows 11, probably because the engine was designed to run only on the older Windows.

PS - As for Days series, I believe it's quite infamous for being easy to crash even back at older version of Windows along with several other problems in regard of the story.

Edited by littleshogun

• 2 years later...

I've been curious about this, too! So far, my experience with VNs on Windows 11 has been smooth sailing. No glitches or hiccups to report – everything seems to be running just fine. It's great to have a platform where we can share our experiences and help each other out. Oh, and speaking of Windows 11, if you're still looking for keys, I stumbled upon digitalchillmart.com recently. They've got some legit keys for both Windows 10 and 11 at pretty decent prices. I think it might be worth checking out if you're in need.

Edited by fjejgiei