Programmer enters

p11

Hello.

I'm from Germany, in my mid 20s, and a programmer, who works on games for a living.

I'm not that interested in playing VNs. I only finished two, and I really liked them. I tried a few, but didn't really like them.
After playing the first one, I had the idea of creating a visual novel myself.

I wanted it to have many meaningful decisions and characters, not just a main story, which splits into five routes after the intro.
Decisions from the beginning should affect stuff later. People should remember specific decisions and ask you about them when you don't expect it anymore.
Even some unimportant stuff should be remembered.

I've been working on different engines for VNs since I had this idea, which already was about eight years ago.
First I tried to use Ren'Py. I already knew a bit programming from Game Maker and school, but it was too difficult to create stuff as complex as I imagined.

When I found Common Lisp, a programming language I really liked, I also used it to create some simple VN engine.
It was based on petri nets, which was a revolutionary idea to me. It seems like the best way to represent complex stories because it just consists of conditions (places), which can be true or false, and events, which depend on some conditions to be true and will change, which conditions are true and false afterwards.
But when the perti nets got big, they weren't easy to handle as well.
I created some tools to make it easier, but I wasn't really happy with it.
I don't think, my CL VN engine exists anymore. It was before I uploaded all my stuff to git. But at least my biggest petri net library still exists: https://gitlab.com/porky11/simple-petri-net

Now I mainly use Rust as a programming language, and from time to time, I still work on petri net stuff or other approaches, which I want to use for VNs.
I created a pretty advanced graphical petri net editor, which finally makes it kind of managable to work with petri nets. You can find here: https://gitlab.com/porky11/pn-editor

And a few months ago, I started working on a new visual novel engine, which uses the petri nets created using the petri net editor to play a visual novel.
The engine can be found here: https://gitlab.com/porky11/vngine-rs

But today I was finally able to replace petri nets with something simpler, but still pretty powerful.
I will publish it soon and continue work on my engine.

I'm looking forward to find people here to help me by trying my tools, giving feedback, or partners, who want to work on VN with me.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Edited by p11

• 2 weeks later...