Senmomo: A Billowing Bladestorm, A Persica Princess Translation Project

DubstepKazoo

ev_03.jpg

VNDB Synopsis

The ruins of the people's tranquility lie smoldering――

Two thousand years of prosperity have come to an end, the Empire conquered at the hands of degenerate invaders.
As what they once took for granted crumbles around them, its citizens nevertheless continue to strive for a better tomorrow, even as they are swept up in the tides of history.

Miyaguni Akari, the final heir to the imperial throne, seeks power――for it is her absolute duty to eradicate her sworn foes and reclaim her empire.
Tokita Soujin, a proud warrior without a past, seeks a lord――for the noble blade must be wielded in the name of fealty.

Fate shall see to it that their paths will cross――and it is not the domain of man to know whether their journey shall end in despair or in triumph.

What is this project?

It is my great honor and pleasure to announce my translation project for August's Sen no Hatou, Tsukisome no Kouki, which I've decided to render in English as you can see in the thread title. My project is tentatively called Operation Bellflower, after a plot point within the game. I bring it to you today because August 8th is an important date within the game. Also, it’s my birthday. Yay me.

This project has been in the works for a while, and I'm excited to finally share it with you. I hope to create a translation you can love for this beautiful game.

What's the current progress?

All the script files and static images from the game and the fan disc are 100% translated. This includes all routes and side stories, and even the Easter egg on the title screen.

Editing is well underway; you can check detailed progress via the link below. Silverlight has rewritten the lyrics for three of the four songs to not only sound better, but even be singable in English, and Light is hard at work with timing and KFX. Hacking is essentially done, too.

How can I help?

There's not really much we need help with at this point in time; we've got basically everything squared away. You can join our Discord server, where we post all the latest information (link below), including blog posts written about translation theory and other interesting aspects of the project.

Who's on the team?

Project Lead/TL - @DubstepKazoo

Editor - /u/alwayslonesome on Reddit

QC - Maribel#7777 on Discord

Hacker - PerturbedPangolin#3792 on Discord (Formerly pdvt#0397 on Discord and /u/Kalazb on Reddit)

Image Editor - @Darbury

Song Subber - LightArrowsEXE#0476 on Discord

Song Editor - /u/silverlight on Reddit

How can I keep tabs on this project?

I will, of course, update this topic with major milestones, but for the latest updates and discussion, you’ll want to join the Discord server. This is where the team will be working and where I'll make all major announcements.

Here's the invite link: https://discord.gg/GyPVkqGEhr

If you just want a quick look at the current progress, you can track it via this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FFF8tZmNyMQwvG1A1MeHlRxvqBvieDs0urHbub-pdOM/edit?usp=sharing

Or, you can even check out our blog at operationbellflower.com!

I have a question you didn't answer.

By all means, feel free to post in this topic or shoot me a message, and I'll respond to the best of my ability. I'm always open to questions and feedback.

Thank you for reading, and I look forward to your thoughts!

Edited by DubstepKazoo
Way overdue update.

Hey man. I actually worked on this game's translation for a while before real life fucked me. 

Was actually curious because someone actually completing the game appeared, and I wanted to see what's up.

After looking into stuff for a bit though I'm left with no choice but to make a post.

You claim that you translated the entire base game and the fandisk "in a matter of weeks" working for 16 hours a day each day. Sorry, but this is impossible. No one, and I say no one, can work for 16 hours straight in translation for several days and not deliver a below par result. Also, honestly I can't believe that between the time you asked for the tools in another thread saying that "you were looking forward to translate this" exactly 2 months ago before releasing this https://forums.fuwanovel.net/topic/24092-help-working-with-a-bgi-game/ you were able to translate over 2 Million characters and over 100k lines of text.

So yeah, I'm sorry to whoever was excited for this, but this 100% completion is entirely either machine translated or god knows fucking what. 

As a last word, before anyone claims that idk what I'm talking about, I tried to fan translate this some years ago, one year of approximately daily 1.5-2h of work ended up with me having done only 20k lines out of the 80k lines of the MAIN GAME. I'm slower than your average fan translator, but I just simply can't believe someone is able to translate just the main game in less than a year, let alone in 2 months. No matter the amount of time you sink in each day. Take my words however you want, since I assume you'll want to release your stuff anyway. 

PS: The main game has roughly 80k lines, fandisk no clue but definitely more than 20k. No one, I repeat, NO ONE, is able to even remotely come close to do more than 100k lines equivalent to what this game has in 2 months. We're talking about more than 1.5 MILLION CHARACTERS for just the first game ALONE. The fastest guy I know can pull off 1 M charas in a year btw, and he no lifes it 6-8 hours a day because he has infinite time.

Take this as you will. Have a nice day.

Edited by Jeremiah Sand

• DubstepKazoo changed the title to Senmomo: A Billowing Bladestorm, A Peach-Blossom Princess Translation Project

Thank you for your thoughts and concerns. You're not the first to harbor them, and I doubt you'll be the last.

Unfortunately, due to how early this project is in its life, it'll be a while before my work can speak for itself, so all I have to offer you in response at this time is my words. If you're interested in seeing some of my past work, though, you can check out DameDesuYo's release of Attack on Titan: The Final Season or SCY's release of the Heaven's Feel movies.

The person I ultimately chose as my editor was a little skeptical, too, but his concerns were blown away when he actually looked at the script. (In case you're wondering, he jumped through a dozen or so script files at random.) I cut my teeth translating in an environment where both quality and speed were vital, so I've always had a reputation for being both fast and good.

Of course, everything I've done so far - manga and anime - have been projects where I could finish a TL of a chapter or episode in a day at the absolute longest. Your concerns that doing a VN sixteen hours a day for weeks in a row could cause me to burn out and drop in quality are understandable. To which I say... Well, that didn't happen. I've gone over my work, and the quality remains consistent.

Do I expect this to convince you? No. But I do plan to put out a partial patch for the game's trial version, so I hope you'll give that a look whenever it ends up happening. This has been a big passion project for me, and I hope to put out a translation every reader can be happy with.

On 8/11/2021 at 11:18 PM, DubstepKazoo said:

Thank you for your thoughts and concerns. You're not the first to harbor them, and I doubt you'll be the last.

Unfortunately, due to how early this project is in its life, it'll be a while before my work can speak for itself, so all I have to offer you in response at this time is my words. If you're interested in seeing some of my past work, though, you can check out DameDesuYo's release of Attack on Titan: The Final Season or SCY's release of the Heaven's Feel movies.

The person I ultimately chose as my editor was a little skeptical, too, but his concerns were blown away when he actually looked at the script. (In case you're wondering, he jumped through a dozen or so script files at random.) I cut my teeth translating in an environment where both quality and speed were vital, so I've always had a reputation for being both fast and good.

Of course, everything I've done so far - manga and anime - have been projects where I could finish a TL of a chapter or episode in a day at the absolute longest. Your concerns that doing a VN sixteen hours a day for weeks in a row could cause me to burn out and drop in quality are understandable. To which I say... Well, that didn't happen. I've gone over my work, and the quality remains consistent.

Do I expect this to convince you? No. But I do plan to put out a partial patch for the game's trial version, so I hope you'll give that a look whenever it ends up happening. This has been a big passion project for me, and I hope to put out a translation every reader can be happy with.

If you want to clear doubts about the quality of your translation, provide actual samples of it for us to read. Scripts chosen at random, preferably. 
As someone who just completed a job that was 1m characters long over about half a year, I can attest to it being impossible to do twice that in two months. Like, literally impossible. 

Yeah, not happening, especially since Sen no Hatou isn't exactly an easy game to translate in the first place.  It isn't bad as something by Masada or Kurashiki, but it is definitely not average difficulty.  This is the kind of game where you can spend a half an hour worrying over the translation of a single idiom or phrase, so there is no possibility whatsoever that this got done that fast without relying on MTL or faking it most of the way.

It's also possible that the OP here may already translate this game even before he asked on how to use the engine, so I think it's not 100% impossible to translate the whole two VNs in just a span of two months if he already understand the languages in the first place and just want to insert the text because from what I see in regard of the asking for the help the OP stated that he has the problem with the engine and don't know on how to insert the text. That said, seeing that one of VNDB users has doubt on whether this is MTL or not and the mod decided to believe the former, I think the OP should be released the partial patch in order to clear the doubt.

PS - I understand Jeremiah Sand doubt in regard of the speed, especially when he himself is the one who extracted the files. But at this rate I should say that nobody here know on how the OP did read Senmomo or how long he did play the VN in the first place (Including Jeremiah Sand who's post is used to prove a point that the translation is MTL), so just saying that it's impossible to translate this in span of two months by using math is pretty much just assumption which may or may not be the truth in that it might be the latter (I admit that I also assume here as well).

PPS - I should also say that unlike Amayui in which Depravity himself admit that he used DeepL so there's no room of doubt that he used MTL, the OP here didn't say that he used DeepL so there's still some chance he really did properly translate this. Or if I may borrow mod Beliar of VNDB that he seems forgot in regard of this (Which to say is quite understandable seeing that he may not have enough time to check all of the reported translation properly, what's with hundreds (If not thousands) reports and all), 'it's not a thief if you didn't catch him'.

Edited by littleshogun

8 hours ago, DubstepKazoo said:

Lonesome's finished his initial read of the game, so editing work is about to begin in earnest, as opposed to the off-and-on approach it's taken thus far. Accordingly, I've whipped up a simple spreadsheet to track our progress and added the link to the OP. Please check it out!

As many have mentioned earlier, you might want to release a partial patch or post samples of the script to clear up any misconceptions or doubts lingering around the air, especially considering the time and effort you've put into it.

In any case, good luck on the project.

3 hours ago, Koyomi_ said:

As many have mentioned earlier, you might want to release a partial patch or post samples of the script to clear up any misconceptions or doubts lingering around the air, especially considering the time and effort you've put into it.

In any case, good luck on the project.

We're going to put out a partial patch covering the first chapter of the game by the end of the year (unless we run into any unforeseen technical issues). That should take care of any remaining doubts regarding the translation's legitimacy. Other than that, we also plan to put out a partial patch later down the road covering the game's first three chapters (and all the heroine routes and side stories along the way).

Thanks for the support!

• 1 month later...

My nuts are busting when i see aiyoku no eustia are getting a quality fan translation,

now i think it's about to explode when i see august latest game are getting fan translated too, 

Say, if you have played eustia, and this game, can you compare the differences in terms of storytelling? are this game equally dark as eustia? does it lean a bit more into realism and originality toward it's settings instead of your generic highschool romance fantasy? (Like seriously what's up with japan's obsession towards highschool settings, i'm kinda sick and tired of it honestly)

i'm curious, since i really like eustia's dark and depressing atmosphere,  and i'm looking for more games like it.

14 hours ago, Kennedy Krane said:

My nuts are busting when i see aiyoku no eustia are getting a quality fan translation,

now i think it's about to explode when i see august latest game are getting fan translated too, 

Say, if you have played eustia, and this game, can you compare the differences in terms of storytelling? are this game equally dark as eustia? does it lean a bit more into realism and originality toward it's settings instead of your generic highschool romance fantasy? (Like seriously what's up with japan's obsession towards highschool settings, i'm kinda sick and tired of it honestly)

i'm curious, since i really like eustia's dark and depressing atmosphere,  and i'm looking for more games like it.

Ooh, I just read Eustia for the first time recently, so I'm equipped to answer this!

Senmomo is decidedly not as dark as Eustia. It's certainly dark at times, but that pallor of gloom you're thinking of lets up every so often. The high school is certainly a setting, but not the main one. The worst it gets is the beach segment in Chapter 3 and a few of the side stories.

One big difference between the two games is the characterization of the heroines. Eustia develops its heroines well as characters, but puts little emphasis on making them lovable to the player (besides, of course, my wife Irene). Senmomo, on the other hand, balances these two goals. So it won't give you anything as poignant and fascinating as the complex relationship between Saint Irene and Lavria, but you'll likely feel more emotion during their big moments. I did, at least.

Oh, and I'm probably in the minority here, but I liked Senmomo's ending better.

6 hours ago, DubstepKazoo said:

Ooh, I just read Eustia for the first time recently, so I'm equipped to answer this!

Senmomo is decidedly not as dark as Eustia. It's certainly dark at times, but that pallor of gloom you're thinking of lets up every so often. The high school is certainly a setting, but not the main one. The worst it gets is the beach segment in Chapter 3 and a few of the side stories.

One big difference between the two games is the characterization of the heroines. Eustia develops its heroines well as characters, but puts little emphasis on making them lovable to the player (besides, of course, my wife Irene). Senmomo, on the other hand, balances these two goals. So it won't give you anything as poignant and fascinating as the complex relationship between Saint Irene and Lavria, but you'll likely feel more emotion during their big moments. I did, at least.

Oh, and I'm probably in the minority here, but I liked Senmomo's ending better.

Big Oofers

it's a bit of a shame tho, since eustia's settings felt so original and fresh, seeing the writers revert back into your generic high school settings is a bit of a letdown, I just hope that the fan service isn't as excessive as your typical romance anime, because I'm not really tolerant on that kind of stuff 

Even so, i think the story will still be good since it's written by the same writers as eustia

But you know what quality that the devs still retain consistently? THE MUSIC, Even though I haven't played this game yet, I've listened to the songs and ost, and god damn is it good, the music in both games really captures the aesthetics of the settings perfectly, like screw the sex scenes, the music gave me an orgasm that can be heard across the neighborhood.

But most importantly tho, good luck on this project, someone who do work out of nothing but pure passion that drive them is always inspiring, it made me want to contribute to that act of generosity one day.

anyway imma just wait here like a good little boi now

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah people should realize that these kind of fan translation is made out of nothing but passion, Translating and editing thousands of lines is quite difficult and time consuming,

so for some people to dedicate their free time into doing something this productive is really something to be admired.

Plus they aren't getting paid for their work hence why the only thing that drives them is their love for the game and the desire for illiterate ppl like us to experience it.

We just simply have to learn to be grateful in life for things that are able to exist...... like this project lel

Edited by Kennedy Krane
Grammar

• DubstepKazoo changed the title to Senmomo: A Billowing Bladestorm, A Persica Princess Translation Project

Editing on Chapter 1's portion of the script is now complete! We still have some other work to do before we can put it through QC, but this is a major milestone. Get hyped!

Also, if you're wondering about the title change, that's an editorial decision we made a while ago that I may or may not have forgotten to change here on Fuwanovel all this time. Teehee.

35 minutes ago, glupak said:

How many chapters does the VN have? Considering you are done with Ch. 1's editing I guess the partial patch by the end of the year is still on schedule?

Six, plus 23 side stories. If you look at the progress tracker, you'll see that Chapter 1 makes up about 17% of the script. Getting the patch by the end of the year will probably depend on how fast QC goes. I'd say it's possible, but I can't speak for everyone's schedule. I imagine it'll probably be done by the end of January at the latest, though.

• DubstepKazoo changed the title to [Recruiting] Senmomo: A Billowing Bladestorm, A Persica Princess Translation Project
  • 9 months later...

It is kind of ironic since I remember this project was one with the fastest starting speed where the translator claimed to have translated this huge ass game in a couple months time. It's a bit crazy, considering @Barry Bensonalready had like a partially finished translation of this game pre-Akagoei. Idk why he dropped it originally to be honest since he seems to pull through with first Akagoei, OneeYuuwaku and now Biman 2.5 and Ginharu.

Kazoo kinda set the expectations to high and we all already knew back around the time it was announced. If we actually trace it back we find the VNDB thread that was already met with much much scrutiny from the start.

August stays cursed: They are actually one of the least likely to localize company ever, en par with AkabeiSoft2&3 (exception of smth like GSenjou [with special cuts and crops only]) and Eushully.  At least we are getting consistent Eushully fantl projects, lol.