Jump to content

V-tube General Discussion Thread


Recommended Posts

Maybe this won't catch on, but I felt we could use this kind of space to just gossip/shitpost about v-tubing stuff without creating surplus threads. While I'm still being helplessly stuck in the rabbit hole, there's always interesting stuff coming to my attention – a scene this young is always in a flux and spawning all kinds of weird crap. :P

Recently, I've noticed the EN vtuber bubble started to burst big time. A lot of small names I remembered from the time I started following this stuff are either retired or on hiatus with no clear indication when they might come back. I see a few patterns here. A lot of creators that were super-serious about this and hoped for quick growth just never got it and moved on. Fuzuki Miki, a bilinguar JP vtuber who was good friend with a vtuber I'm most closely following nowadays, put tons of quality content for more than a year... But got nowhere with it. It was crazy she hold out for this long, barely reaching 20k subs with massive effort. Most in her position give up much sooner and are probably right to do so.

Second category is people that wanted to get in, had the potential to do well, but simply underestimated the time & energy required to stay active. Nana is a prime example here, an artist that already had a fanbase, good relationship with the EN vtube community and enough charisma to pull this off... Just too much work to stream on any kind of reasonable schedule.

And then, those that succeeded... Are either those that immediately took off, major agency vtubers and those that never wanted to go beyond hobby and kept their activity to scale. Nijisanji entered the EN market with the same tactic as always, introducing new creators very quickly. and I imagine they'll keep flooding the market further. This will make particularily the YouTube space really crowded and push a lot more people out in the end.

But on the other hand, the SIMP sometimes do feel limitless... Like, apparently, the clipper SodaFunk, likely the biggest one covering Hololive EN, decided to cash out on his popularity by... Hiring a JP voice actress and pretending to be a girl. And the opening memberships and having the girl do a freetalk stream (which peaked at 16,5k viewers, above what most Hololive members get). I actually got caught up in the meme, but other clippers ratted him out. I'm still kind of on the line whether I'm more appalled by the scam or deeply amused by the absurdity and how meta the whole intrigue became. I guess I don't even mind, if he gives the girl at least similar rates as Cover does? xD

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Okay, the SodaFunk story just got fascinating to me for another reason... The self-preservation mechanisms of the EN vtuber fan community are something else. The related subreddit mods and many people on Twitter actively suppress the message about this from being shared, or even the topic being discussed, to avoid a shitstorm. It's honestly the first time I've seen a community so hostile to drama that it self-censors to this degree and even calls out people pointing out obvious unethical behaviour as troublemakers. Basically, Rizulix, the other major clipper that spilled the beans on the whole situation, got a lot of angry people complaining when he (very subtly) called out SodaFunk for gaslighting his audience...

This is amazing in a way and I kind of get it: every drama on the internet quickly escalates into a bloody war and people just want to use v-tubeing as a friendly space to relax in. But just letting things like this slip to not stir the pot... That's going way too far IMO. Reminds me of people that don't want to hear the gaming industry horror stories because it "spoils the fun" for them...

Edited by Plk_Lesiak
Link to post
Share on other sites

😬

 

didnt know that about sodafunk, pretty crazy. shouldve just gone the zen route but maybe just wanted a cute voice to follow the cute neko pics of soda.

 

ive been in the vtuber rabbit hole for a while as well. veibai, nyanners, ironmouse probably being my favorite out of them. its close between her and nyanners.

Edited by mitchhamilton
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mitchhamilton said:

didnt know that about sodafunk, pretty crazy. shouldve just gone the zen route but maybe just wanted a cute voice to follow the cute neko pics of soda.

I don't know, if there's some kind of reveal coming that turns it into an openly admitted-gimmick, that's fine, but he also pushed away/removed mod privileges on his channel from anyone that knew he was actually a guy... A lot of small stuff like that which makes the whole thing feel like an actual scam. Without monetisation it would be just a funny meta-joke, but that first stream got 2k+ dollars in superchats alone. 😛

Quote

ive been in the vtuber rabbit hole for a while as well. veibai, nyanners, ironmouse probably being my favorite out of them. its close between her and nyanners.

Good taste, sir! I'm only loosely following VShojo at this point, but I feel like these three developed a lot as streamers. Vei in particular feels a lot more like an actual person than just a streaming persona lately, it looked to me she was trying a bit too hard at the beginning and now got a lot more relaxed while she gathered a larger following/more stable status in the niche. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

I don't know, if there's some kind of reveal coming that turns it into an openly admitted-gimmick, that's fine, but he also pushed away/removed mod privileges on his channel from anyone that knew he was actually a guy... A lot of small stuff like that which makes the whole thing feel like an actual scam. Without monetisation it would be just a funny meta-joke, but that first stream got 2k+ dollars in superchats alone. 😛

yeah, def something sus going on there. it seems though that there is enough people though who are just not gonna care even with word going around about it. just how the community is it seems.

 

1 hour ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Good taste, sir! I'm only loosely following VShojo at this point, but I feel like these three developed a lot as streamers. Vei in particular feels a lot more like an actual person than just a streaming persona lately, it looked to me she was trying a bit too hard at the beginning and now got a lot more relaxed while she gathered a larger following/more stable status in the niche. :)

oh, interesting. yeah, they seem very genuine, its what makes them great. nyanners weird antics and humor, mouse's reactions and stories, vei's just all around adorableness.

 

think the first clip i saw of vei was when she was talking about sad nipple syndrome, was with her old model.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mitchhamilton said:

think the first clip i saw of vei was when she was talking about sad nipple syndrome, was with her old model.

Yeah, if that clip was 5 months old, I first encountered Vei around 10 months ago, with some clips I watched probably being even older? She was leaning into the "sexy" accent and playing a character more back then. Her current content seems more to my taste TBH, but I follow 2 vtubers closely (who barely stream lately, but whatever) and I still feel it's a lot for my mind to process/quite time consuming, so I don't branch out much beyond short clips. :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Yeah, if that clip was 5 months old, I first encountered Vei around 10 months ago, with some clips I watched probably being even older? She was leaning into the "sexy" accent and playing a character more back then. Her current content seems more to my taste TBH, but I follow 2 vtubers closely (who barely stream lately, but whatever) and I still feel it's a lot for my mind to process/quite time consuming, so I don't branch out much beyond short clips. :P

oh wow. i dont think ive seen those clips from then. im curious so ill look em up.

 

reminds me a bit of snuffy. used to do a cute typical anime style like voice but then dropped it one day and is much better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Second gen of Hololive EN debuting today! It mostly just gives me anxiety when new vtubers show up because there's no chance I'll be able to follow any of them no matter how much I want to... But damn, Kronii seriously tests this statement. Her voice is something else and her depressive sense of humour is quite relatable. ^^

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Emi said:

on total derail. seems like everybody starts doing vtube? even mangagamer? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6m64Oc1vvb_hpyOLRtxaYg

There's not such thing as derailing this thread. It was created to have no rails.

But damn, using GGN girls in this way is just perfect. The marketing stunt VN turned into marketing stunt v-tubers... Just perfect. :wahaha:

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

There's not such thing as derailing this thread. It was created to have no rails.

But damn, using GGN girls in this way is just perfect. The marketing stunt VN turned into marketing stunt v-tubers... Just perfect. :wahaha:

haha yeaaa. doesnt seem like it have worked as well for them in vtube so far tho. less then 2k subs. 

most likely would need more advertising on theyre other social media :fuhahaha:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Emi said:

haha yeaaa. doesnt seem like it have worked as well for them in vtube so far tho. less then 2k subs. 

most likely would need more advertising on theyre other social media :fuhahaha:

Lol, yeah, that's also classic MangaGamer. Somehow they have all the right ideas and simultaneously absolutely suck at marketing.

Edit: Made some posts about it on Reddit, both on VN and vtube boards. I wonder what people make of it. Also, I think I just surpassed the advertisement effort MG itself put into this. :wahaha:

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, in my post on the virtual youtubers subreddit I asked people whether they now about any other advertisement/brand vtubers or ones based on pre-established characters. So, guess who's the one anime character that got their vtuber adaptation? Who's the pioneer?

Of course, it's Kotonoha from School Days. What in the actual f... xDDDD

Link to post
Share on other sites

In random news, YouTube just removed around 50K subscribers from all Hololive EN Gen2 channels. I imagine these were less bots by Cover themselves and more overzealous fans pumping the numbers with multiple accounts.

I really like where the numbers landed after the correction though, with Kronii having a good 28k lead over the second-ranked member, Mumei. This honestly made a lot more sense than what the numbers were before. 😆

And looking at SocialBlade, these corrections are quite massive! I wonder if all new vtuber accounts with rapid growth get this kind of fluctuation:

k2zogi0muhj71.jpg?width=901&format=pjpg&

Sadly, it's hard to get data this precise for old accounts, at least with what SocialBlade shares publicly. I kind of trolled vtube subreddits with this, I imagine I'll just get downvoted to hell for bringing it up, but maybe people can also say whether it's normal of more unique to this one case. 😆

Edit: And it seems that, indeed, the scale of purging is unique to the newest Hololive branch. Wonder if it's algorithm changes or the bot activity is indeed much bigger this time around.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...