So I want to do this with my visual novel....

Draconix814

I'm currently using ren'py. I don't know if this is possible with this engine, but bear with me. The closest comparison to what I want to do that I can think of is the gameplay of Fate/Hollow Ataraxia. In FHA, after you go through the prologue and whatnot, you have basically the option to go to different locations at different times of the day to get a piece of the story, which will then unlock different scenes that you can choose later on. Its different from "the consequences of choices", like most visual novels. I figured since my visual novel has a lot of moving parts that will require different character perspectives, something like this is more suitable than the traditional guided story path that implements choices as a gameplay mechanic primarily. I also saw something about ren'py possibly supporting other engines that it can work with, but idk if I'm misunderstanding it.

If you understand what I'm talking about, it would be a great help if you could lead me in the direction in how to implement it. 
Hollow04.jpg~original

I've definitely seen map movement and events tied to a time of day before in Ren'py. E.g Lucky Paradox (NSFW link btw). The scripts in that game are pretty easy to get to with Garbro if you want to try to dissect them. Implementing the system is probably just a big series of variables compared against if statements though.

If day == 1 AND

timeOfDay == afternoon AND

characterRouteProgress == 3 THEN

doSomething()

Edited by tahu157

7 hours ago, tahu157 said:

I've definitely seen map movement and events tied to a time of day before in Ren'py. E.g Lucky Paradox (NSFW link btw). The scripts in that game are pretty easy to get to with Garbro if you want to try to dissect them. Implementing the system is probably just a big series of variables compared against if statements though.

If day == 1 AND

timeOfDay == afternoon AND

characterRouteProgress == 3 THEN

doSomething()

how about less "time of day" and more "menu where I can click on different scenes based on location"... maybe 20% v 80% respectively

Edited by Draconix814