Does every Visual Novel has to be in an anime style?

lappuni

I am creating my own Visual Novel, but I am wondering - what kind of art style should I peak. My love for anime and manga is out of the roof, but I am not sure if i want to create a game in its style. I was planning more of a semi-realistic approach...What do you think? 

It's your project so you can do whatever you want.

What do you mean by semi realistic? In the last 5 or so years there have been dozens and dozens of OELVNs that use 3D models that are more or less realistic looking as far as body proportions and colors are concerned. I personally find that style uncanny to the point of being repulsive, but a lot of VNs using that style are raking in cash on Patreon so there is clearly a market for it.

So... for someone who is into VN (at least fro most of them), more pleasant to look at is sth stylized then realistic? Answerin I am not talking about using 3d models, i am talking about an art style itself

6 minutes ago, tahu157 said:

It's your project so you can do whatever you want.

What do you mean by semi realistic? In the last 5 or so years there have been dozens and dozens of OELVNs that use 3D models that are more or less realistic looking as far as body proportions and colors are concerned. I personally find that style uncanny to the point of being repulsive, but a lot of VNs using that style are raking in cash on Patreon so there is clearly a market for it.

Yeah, those give me creeps as well 😕 I'm just a rather indecisive person, so i must figure out how i want my characters (style) to look like when i am still in a concept process (but it is slowly coming to an end). Any tips?

16 hours ago, lappuni said:

Yeah, those give me creeps as well 😕 I'm just a rather indecisive person, so i must figure out how i want my characters (style) to look like when i am still in a concept process (but it is slowly coming to an end). Any tips?

Hard to give tips at this level of (un)specificity. Just as a point of reference, consider Cinders. It's non-anime, but at such levels of quality you won't find people complaining about it. Quality and consistency are most important, there is certain amount of people that are so used to anime art they'll reject any VN that moves away from it, but I wouldn't worry about them too much – they are still a minority and quality will defend itself on its own merits. Also, a good non-anime artstyle will make your project stand out in the vast see of generic ones mindlessly mimicking Japanese VNs.

That being said, anime style is probably among the easier ones to get right. If your skill level isn't great and you experiment you risk creating visuals that pretty much appeal to no one and will deter people from giving your game a fair shot. You need to decide which scenario is more likely to happen and act accordingly.

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

• 1 month later...

The project I'm working uses 3D models as the basis for the characters, but they are then drawn over the top so it doesn't have that overly realistic look that is off-putting.

You can check out the result on the screenshots of the steam page if you're interested. I'd definitely recommend this method:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1720470/The_VII_Enigma/

• 2 weeks later...