Any interest in developing VN's in Unity without coding?

VisualNovelX

Hey there developers, and potential developers, of Fuwanovel. I have been interested in visual novels for quite some time and have come across so many posts by people who are saying that they want to develop a visual novel but can't due to their lack of ability in programming.

Therefore I thought it might be interesting to have a programming-free solution for it and looked into it and found quite a few engines which allow creating Visual Novels without code. But almost all of them cost money, which most starting developers do not want to pay, or they are heavily outdated/abandoned.

I have been working with Unity for quite some time and was looking into making a package for Unity that would allow you to create visual novels without coding. Of course I want to create it in a way that you can add on to it if you do have the ability to code in C#.

Long story short, my actual question is the following:

How much interest would there actually be in a FREE Unity package that would allow you to make a visual novel without coding?

One of the main reasons I feel that Unity is a great choice is due to the sheer amount of resources out there for it. So if you wanted to add anything to your project or the framework, there would most likely be a tutorial or code snippet for it somewhere.

Anyways, I just wanted to know if there would be any interest in it. I have already started working on a prototype and already have most of the initial dialogue system setup.

If there would be any interest, feel free to reply post your opinion and questions.

PS, I hope this was the right thread to post this question in. If not, feel free to move it mods.

Regards
VNX

I've been messing around in Unity lately trying to learn it with the end goal of eventually making a VN. For me personally, I'm not interested in using a framework. Creating everything from the ground up is half the appeal to me. That said, examples are always nice. I was going to try and use Godot at one point, and someone had already created a free VN template that you can download. I was still going to write everything from the ground up, but that template was very informative as a study resource. Godot ended up not having a few key features that I wanted though, so I went back to Unity.

On 6/27/2021 at 9:49 PM, Palas said:

Boy, would you have saved my life years ago. I wanted to develop a visual novel in Unity but the limitations (in text management mostly) got the better of me.

I know for a fact many people would be interested in a package that provides a reliable environment for developing VNs in Unity. It doesn't really need to be programming-free, exactly: goal-oriented documentation (kinda like Ren'Py's cookbook, which teaches features rather than the tools) would go a long way for people who don't really want to learn all about Unity, because it's way too vast.

Hah, damn I am too late!

Yeah I agree for something as simple as creating a VN, Unity is a big thing to tackle. Documentation is definitely a very important factor and I will have to think carefully about that. I am trying to make it as programming free as possible for those that don't want to touch programming at all (that would mostly only work for people who want to do traditional VN's), however for people who want to do more advanced things I am trying to program it in a way that you can easily extend on it with events and other things.

On 6/28/2021 at 4:38 AM, tahu157 said:

I've been messing around in Unity lately trying to learn it with the end goal of eventually making a VN. For me personally, I'm not interested in using a framework. Creating everything from the ground up is half the appeal to me. That said, examples are always nice. I was going to try and use Godot at one point, and someone had already created a free VN template that you can download. I was still going to write everything from the ground up, but that template was very informative as a study resource. Godot ended up not having a few key features that I wanted though, so I went back to Unity.

I definitely understand that as I am the same. I prefer creating the things myself and learning from it. However on the other side I know there are a lot of people who don't want to get into the nitty-gritty of how things work at all. So trying to cater to those.

When I get it to a point where I can post the package you are of course welcome to download it and dissect the code to see how I have done it, however I am also still learning so might not be AAA tier programming 😅