What factor would most prevent you from buying a visual novel at full price?

What factor would most prevent you from buying a visual novel at full price?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What factor would most prevent you from buying a visual novel at full price?

• Already has a fantranslation
    • The original release is too old
    • A censored release in some way
    • No physical copy availability
    • Other
    • I (almost) never buy VNs at full price

Over the years, I've seen various reasons why people won't buy a visual novel at full price, and will wait for a discount or a certain other method.

If there's a visual novel at full price (let's say at least $30-$40), is a decent length (at least 20-30 hours if you do all routes), is on your preferred platform digitally, and one that you're interested in but not in a hyped "I have to buy it now" way..

My question is, what factor most prevents you from buying a visual novel you're interested in at full price? If your answer isn't the poll below, feel free to mention what it is.

1. Base price. If a VN is sold at 30-40 dollars I won't buy it without discount unless it's something I'm extremely into. Lately I'm way less broke and could afford it, but I simply don't pay that kind of money for games (I never bought a AAA game on release, outside of WoW expansions). Or any other form of entertainment media really.

2. Perceived value. It can be any number of factors, like quality of art, length, quality of writing/translation, themes... But if I feel something is overpriced I'll wait for a discount even if I want it for some reasons.

Depends on the vn. If there is content that for me feels questionable then i wont buy it at full price, or if its just trashy like oppai academy or equally low tier vn experiences. Vn's wont hesistate to buy at full price is vn's like utawarerumono and 13 sentinels. I guess one can debate whether or not 13 sentinels is a vn though

If I buy a VN it's usually because I really want to read it. In fact, I simply just don't read stuff I'm not particularly hyped about. This is to say, if I really wanna read a VN, I will pay the price.

The factor that not only could, but most definitely will prevent me from buying it is any form of censorship. I don't care whose fault it is, I want to have the intended experience the developers had in mind.

I don't care if it's just "some pointless sex scenes" or "just a couple droplets of blood". I will never consent to having someone else decide what is or is not appropiate for me to consume with my own money.

Edited by Mehnot

If it has a physical copy available and I want it I will probably not wait on sale as it might sell out and sales for physicals are rare. If it is digital I will probably wait for a sale unless it is something I really want to start reading as soon as possible. At the moment I have a backlog of 57 VNs and most likely the VN will be on sale before I would have gotten around to it. So basically I have too large of a backlog to justify buying digital at full price.

Missing option: Translation quality.  A bad translations can go so far as to take what could have been a good game, and smother it (like Cross Channel).  Good translations can take what might have been an average game, and make it something truly great (see: Chrono Clock).

you can probably judge the translation via screenshot provide but imo you need someone that will sacrifice money and review the game and provided some screenshot to know if the translation is good or not. or lurk into this forum, same forum as this one, vndb or reddit to gather someone else opinion.