Help working with a BGI game

Hi, friends. I'm looking to translate Senmomo, but unfortunately, my skill set consists only of turning Japanese into English. I've managed to find and extract the files with GARBro, but the files that contain the game's script do not look like they're in a workable state. The first several hundred lines of each are gibberish that looks like some kind of encoding problem, and the rest of the file consists of the Japanese script - without line breaks. Yeah, each segment of dialogue/narration is just pasted right after the last, and only after several hundred characters does the line end and move on to the next one. (I'd post a screenshot, but imgur isn't cooperating.) Am I really supposed to work with the files in this state? It wouldn't be impossible, sure, but it'd be a pain in the neck. Is there some sort of tool I'm supposed to be using?

And even once I get translatin', I have no idea what to do after that. How do I put my TL into the game? Am I gonna need to do something about a font? I don't know my right from my left here, and I'd very much appreciate some help.

2 hours ago, Infernoplex said:

There's already a fanTL of this VN in the works:

I've seen that thread, and considering that the project hasn't had any updates in a year and a half, I'm not holding my breath. Besides, translating is what I do for fun. Even if Sand's project was alive and kicking (and who knows, maybe it really is), I'd still want to do this anyway.

3 hours ago, DubstepKazoo said:

Besides, translating is what I do for fun. Even if Sand's project was alive and kicking (and who knows, maybe it really is), I'd still want to do this anyway.

Sand's not the only one who picked up Senmomo. I know two other groups who also went for Senmomo. But whatever. If you all feel like working on the same VN, who am I to tell any of you to stop. I still think it's redundant, but it's your own time and energy at stake.

You can ask Porygon to help you out with the engine side of things. He helped all BGI-related projects with the tech.

On 6/8/2021 at 12:59 PM, DubstepKazoo said:

I've seen that thread, and considering that the project hasn't had any updates in a year and a half, I'm not holding my breath. Besides, translating is what I do for fun. Even if Sand's project was alive and kicking (and who knows, maybe it really is), I'd still want to do this anyway.

Good luck with your project.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/8/2021 at 8:02 AM, DubstepKazoo said:

Hi, friends. I'm looking to translate Senmomo, but unfortunately, my skill set consists only of turning Japanese into English. I've managed to find and extract the files with GARBro, but the files that contain the game's script do not look like they're in a workable state. The first several hundred lines of each are gibberish that looks like some kind of encoding problem, and the rest of the file consists of the Japanese script - without line breaks. Yeah, each segment of dialogue/narration is just pasted right after the last, and only after several hundred characters does the line end and move on to the next one. (I'd post a screenshot, but imgur isn't cooperating.) Am I really supposed to work with the files in this state? It wouldn't be impossible, sure, but it'd be a pain in the neck. Is there some sort of tool I'm supposed to be using?

And even once I get translatin', I have no idea what to do after that. How do I put my TL into the game? Am I gonna need to do something about a font? I don't know my right from my left here, and I'd very much appreciate some help.

https://indocalize.my.id/tutorial/cara-menerjemahkan-visual-novel-bgi/

This is a tutorial with BGI