What I Think of Fuwanovel

solidbatman

Best Super Hero  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best superhero

This poll is closed to new votes

I joined Fuwanovel on November 20th, 2012. It was a long time ago. The Bruce Wayne dating sim that I suggested in my intro topic never came to fruition (a fact I'm mildly depressed about). When I first joined, this place was very very different. I really did not post much at first, and was blissfully unaware of how evil the VN community was overall. I did not know that I had to patch VNs myself in many instances and thanks to this place, I was able to play VNs without having to worry about that sort of thing. The forums looked quite different as well, with each hosted VN having it's own sub board if I recall (it was a mess). The forums were quickly re-organized into something close to what we have now. There was no walkthrough section, no FAQ section, no games and chatter section. Just a few forum boards. Slowly the forums grew, and I began posting more.

For what ever reason, that in all honesty still baffles me, I was eventually promoted to a moderator position. I became fast friends with Steve as we frolicked through fields with our mutual agreements on everything. I love, and miss you Steve (just please, no naked Hachikuji pictures). I really enjoyed helping out around the forums. Everyone was friendly and we rarely had any issues with behavior. Fuwanovel was a tight knit group that just loved VNs. Ryoji and Eldin would have epic battles over old, obscure anime that the original production studios probably forgot they even produced, Steve was having a field day posting loli pictures and trying to convert me to the lolicon side, Skeith was regularly posting walkthroughs, Harry Kinomoto was being amazing as usual. It was an awesome place to be a part of and I loved every second of it outside of the staff forums. It was a place where everyone respected one another, and everyone respected what Fuwanovel was (save a few people). A place to make VNs accessible to the west. 

Fast forward to today. Fuwanovel has grown immensely. We have a ton of active members on the forums, and out library of VNs continues to grow, as does the scope of operations. Nayleen has done wonderful work, and Tay did a great job of holding things together during the hosting outage. But despite that, I've felt a growing disconnect between myself, and a lot of the newer members. None of this is meant in a negative way. The newer guys have changed the forums a lot. We have so many random topics now, that have found a good home. The forums have been re-shaped to your guys liking. I said Fuwanovel was a family, and you guys sure have banded together. Sadly, I feel like part of the old guard, and find myself irritated with the place. Some of the things I used to love about Fuwanovel, the things that separated us from the rest of the VN community have begun to slowly crumble away. There is more mean spirit here, more rudeness, and just more of a 4chan-esque environment. The group of people I used to talk to all the time is mostly gone now. I still enjoy talking to you guys, but I find myself feeling less enthusiastic about the place than before. Perhaps what Fuwanovel is has become diluted with more members. Perhaps its just growing pains. Maybe we've grown big enough to drag some of you guys out from the dark places of the internet. (As yusa used to say, "I'll reform you"). 

I still enjoy this place. And I don't hate anyone here. I just wanted to put out there what I couldn't really put out there when I was staff. I want this place to remain friendly, towards everyone, and I want everyone to be treated with respect, like we had just 4 or 5 months ago. My year here has been enjoyable, and I'll continue hanging around because visual novels. So this is a request from me to everyone here: Lets make this place more of a friendly place and respect everyone. Staff respect the members, members respect the staff, staff respect staff, members respect members. I've made my share of mistakes on this, and I want to correct them. I want Fuwanovel to be the place it was a year ago. I want it to be the friendliest place on the internet again. 

t2ji.jpg

And I do mean that.  Over the past few years I have found it increasingly difficult to find a place online that isn't filled with egocentric jerks, trolls, flamers, and just overall horrible people.  I have taken to Fuwanovel because of the like-minded people, the actual feeling of kindness (albeit it's in its own way), and the support of the community and moderators.  I will be completely honest, the moderators here, Nayleen, Tay, Steve, Meru, Kendjin as well as any others that have slipped my mind (bit of an off day...), you guys are some of the best moderators I have ever seen on forums and I am very grateful for such people being here.  Unfortunately for myself, I was not around while you were a moderator Batman, but I still have the feeling that you were and still are a good person to be around.

As far as the mean-spirited part....I will apologize since I have no doubt contributed to that in some way, but I do take it in moderation out of respect for the others here, I do feel as if I should respect others the same way they respect me.  

And as far as I'm concerned, Fuwanovel really is the friendliest place on the internet, at least for me it is, and I will continue to lurk be around and chat for as long as possible.

"I've made my share of mistakes on this, and I want to correct them"

I'm not here as long as you, but I guess I'm one of the oldest active members. And I can assure that I made a lot of mistakes as well. I think it's time to stop being my jest self and go at it yusa-style, huh.

I won't write a lot since tons of people already did so. However, know that your words have been listened to. I'll act on it.

I just joined this community, and I must say I haven't found any community to be more warm-welcoming than this one right here. I never thought that VNs could take me to meet nice people, and I'm gratefully surprised for that.

Maybe, just maybe, I will stumble with a flamer or something along those lines. But, who cares? The change (or, in this case, keeping things the way they were/are) can only come if you start it yourself.

So, for all new members, including myself: Don't make this just another forum. Make this *your* forum, almost like your online home.

That's my two cents on the topic. Opinions are welcome.

That's a sentiment I can empathize with in general. Obviously things change as communities grow and that can often leads to some disconnect and disillusionment within it. All the online communities I've grown up with eventually took a turn where I felt that the quality of discussion had diminished and that I was no longer in sync with the place. Dissonance from the old meeting the new is a pretty typical consequence in all areas of life, not just the online part. At the same time, I'm not so sure how reasonable that sort of position is. I always feel that I'm being a sort of hipster or that it's just reaction from feeling diminished by all the new members. I remember the very early years of reddit. It's a very different for place, for better AND worse.

As far the quality of the forums, I obviously can't comment. I lurked around here a bit last year, but I only recently decided to join in on the discussion so I've only really been tapped into the mood of this place for a couple of months. That being said, I haven't really noticed anything I would call mean-spirited or blatently rude. I may be overlooking some things though or simply lack perspective on the matter. I certainly haven't seen anything I'd consider 4chan-esque. I may be misinterpreting what you mean by that, however.

i sorta get what you mean, i've been here for almost 5 months and fuwanovel have changed a lot.

it used to have a Onee-sama vibe that was really reassuring, now is more like a school pal, (i read what i just said, can't believe i can actually think of a logic reason behind my reasoning) the new fuwanovel is not exactly bad but i really miss the 'old' fuwan.

let's work for a better place shall we, we have batman on our side so it should be a piece of cake 

I actually frequent a couple of forums with very strict moderation, and as a result for better or for worse, whenever I see a topic or post which I feel I can't respond to without someone feeling insulted, I just avoid it. Thankfully I haven't found any such topics here, so I feel much more free ^^

I also try to make wherever I frequent better, if possible, so I've started doing some walkthroughs, since there seems to have been a lack of them recently.

While it may not be what it started as, things always change, and it's one of the best on-line communities I've seen even as it is now. People express their opinions tactfully and nobody is very rude. Things are organized and seem to work well.

I am a bit worried for the future, and hope things are ok as things continue to grow.

What batman is basically saying that I should start posting more lolis as those always bring friendship.

Also batman, the times you remember literally was like the same 20 people posting so that's why it felt more familiar. (You just missed sanahtlig being against everything xD)

But only thing that changed (other than me posting less lolis) is more people posting overall, I don't think they are less friendly than what it used to be, its just that it is not as small community as it used to be so it doesn't feel so familiar. But still even in this size the community is much better then rest of the VN community (and you can clearly see the hostility of tlwiki guys and similar individuals with the latest Key drama).

Fuwanovel is nowhere near that and I personally didn't notice more mean spirit or rudeness, but then again I don't visit general discussion much (and almost never IRC/chatter section) so maybe you saw it there, who knows.

But if you ever want the good ol' times, visit the TS xD All the classic friendly lolicons like Luch and me are always there and not many new people come (currently its all the old party like evil Zeddy and boomer and such xD).

But I hear you on the loli issue, I shall start posting more and more lolis so you are happier. And for naked Hachikuji come on TS, I am sure I can find something :P Sankaku is great for that.

I haven't been here long and I don't take part in each and every discussion but I enjoy having a place to talk with people who are into similar things (whether we're talking about said things or not!). I haven't seen anything particularly rude or untoward on these forums while of been here, though. All of the posters here seem like great people. As someone else mentioned earlier I also don't visit the IRC so that may be what you're talking about.

In any case, Fuwanovel is a great place to spend time even if i'm not as involved as some of you. I know the feeling of losing (or feeling like you're losing) a group of close friends as your community grows from my MMO experience, so I understand how frustrated you must be. I hope you continue to stick it out here, though. Your input into discussions is always worth reading and your contest is a lot of fun. I also look forward to seeing what pops up on your blog in the future.

Well this is actually my first forum i have been activ on, other then my clan forum where i know everyone personally. So introducing myself here was a bit awkward and strange, atleast for me. You were the first one to reply to me and it made me feel at ease so thank you for that ^_^

I don't reply to many topics as i don't think i have much to add and i don't want to bother anyone with things that don't need to be said. My wording is horrible as well so i don't usally say anything without atleast a reason behind it. Hope that dosn't make me a stranger to you of some kind  :wacko:

I understand how you feel and i think its natural if its something you care about. I donno what els to add so ill stop here.

^_^

What batman is basically saying that I should start posting more lolis as those always bring friendship.

But I hear you on the loli issue, I shall start posting more and more lolis so you are happier. And for naked Hachikuji come on TS, I am sure I can find something :P Sankaku is great for that.

That really... I'm not sure how you got that from my post? But I can't say I'm surprised.

And to those that don't see the problems I mentioned, they are usually nipped in the bud, or hidden from view quickly. But the fact that such things have begun to happen is worrisome. I'm just hoping that this post might speak to those who might be bringing more of a mean attitude to Fuwanovel.   

While I'm not a member of many communities besides this one, I can safely say (or write) this: Fuwanovel is without doubt the most friendly community I have ever known and it would also greatly sadden me if it didn't somehow remain that way. 

As a new member and lurker of four months, those are my honest thoughts.

C is the best and we know it - back to topic please.

Solidbatman expresses a lot of things I've been feeling myself lately, especially with Fuwanovel as a whole - some people tend to exclude IRC, TS, FB, Twitter and all there is to the Fuwaverse, but I see it as one big thing and there IS a certain discord in more than one place. As I was saying a few months back, apart from the forums everyone is pretty spread out in terms of direct communication.

Solidbatman expresses a lot of things I've been feeling myself lately, especially with Fuwanovel as a whole - some people tend to exclude IRC, TS, FB, Twitter and all there is to the Fuwaverse, but I see it as one big thing and there IS a certain discord in more than one place. As I was saying a few months back, apart from the forums everyone is pretty spread out in terms of direct communication.

Are you saying that there's discord in that the community is spread too thin or that some of those undesirable attitudes and behaviors solidbatman alluded to is present in more than just the forum itself?

As far the quality of the forums, I obviously can't comment. I lurked around here a bit last year, but I only recently decided to join in on the discussion so I've only really been tapped into the mood of this place for a couple of months. That being said, I haven't really noticed anything I would call mean-spirited or blatently rude. I may be overlooking some things though or simply lack perspective on the matter. I certainly haven't seen anything I'd consider 4chan-esque. I may be misinterpreting what you mean by that, however.

These are my thoughts as well.

However I don't use FB, Twitter or IRC, so I wouldn't know what the atmosphere is like in these places.

I have to admit I'm a bit surprised because I haven't noticed this. 

The community is probably changing, but nothing felt that much weird to me. 

I've started lurking the IRC too recently, and although it's a rather different crew than on the forum (some people I never saw on the forum >_>) I didn't have any bad vibes either. 

So, well, I don't know. As a mod it feels strange that there are people, pillars of the community even, that think there is some mean spirit developing and I don't even see it.

feels strange that there are people, pillars of the community even, that think there is some mean spirit developing and I don't even see it.

I have a (tinsy bit) related feeling. As someone who has only been here for just short of 2-months, it's a bit of a bummer to see a prolific and respected member feel this way. It can be somewhat disheartening to newly join a community and see this sort of perspective.