What I Think of Fuwanovel

solidbatman

Best Super Hero  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best superhero

This poll is closed to new votes

I have a (tinsy bit) related feeling. As someone who has only been here for just short of 2-months, it's a bit of a bummer to see a prolific and respected member feel this way. It can be somewhat disheartening to newly join a community and see this sort of perspective.

I'm going to have to agree with you on this. Whether or not that everyone see it may not mean that it's not happening. And the sheer fact that more than one well known and respected member see this change must mean something. And it definitely can be a bit concerning to new members to come here and see this.

A few bad things have happened, but over all, things have been pretty good. You joined much earlier than me though, so you probably have more perspective over how itwas in the really early days. In the end, though, I think we'll be fine as long as we have Tay. That man has ungodly diplomatic powers.

A few bad things have happened, but over all, things have been pretty good. You joined much earlier than me though, so you probably have more perspective over how itwas in the really early days. In the end, though, I think we'll be fine as long as we have Tay. That man has ungodly diplomatic powers.

I agree, Tay is definitely keeping everything running smoothly in terms of social interactions.

I hadn’t planned on responding to this thread (more on this later), but I’ve since decided that I need to do so. I spent a lot of time thinking about my response, and I hope that the community will take a moment to listen to what I have to say. This is Batman’s thread, but in order to address what he’s offered us here, I need to start with a few words about me.

I officially joined the forums just after the original site was hacked/trashed, and was able to participate in the rebuilding effort. That was well over a year ago, and I’ve seen the community go through several unique periods since then. I’ve seen a lot of people come and go, and the site has constantly grown, stretched and dreamed of bigger things. It’s been inspiring, sometimes stressful and heartbreaking, and at other times, it’s been all those things simultaneously. During the recent site outage (read: Fuwapocalypse), I realized that Fuwanovel means a lot to me, and has had a great influence in my life. I decided to start a project: “Tay’s History of Fuwanovel” – a chronicling of my time here in this community. Each chapter of the book is divided up into the names of community members. One of the chapters is named “Solidbatman”.

Batman is one of my closest friends on Fuwanovel: someone who's opinion weighs as heavily as Ryoji’s – which is really saying something – and somebody I deeply respect. He’s my friend, and I hope that I’m his. I’ll be the first one to admit that Batman joined the staff – and became an admin – during some of the site’s most difficult chapters. Despite seeing the very ugliest that Fuwanovel has to offer, he’s been a constant force for cooperation, compromise, and respect. The word “character” comes to mind, here. “Integrity” is another good one.

I am glad that Batman took the time to write this post. We do need to be friendlier to each other, and more patient and understanding when miscommunications and conflicts arise. Like Batman, I’ve seen the ugly corners of Fuwanovel’s history. They’re there. The staff forums chronicle some of them. Many others have happened off the forums. I’ve been there for most of them. I’ve tried to learn from them.

The point I’d like to get across is pretty simple. We are each responsible for what Fuwanovel becomes. The way we act, re-act, react all determine what the community stands for.

I hadn’t originally planned on responding to this post. Batman and I already know where we stand in relation to each other. However, the responses of many new members prompted me to respond to them. To new members, and to their concerns.

Fuwanovel is changing, but it’s always been in the process of changing. Better than anyone, I can attest that the site and community have never stood still. As new people come into the community – especially from other VN sites which are known to have toxic rhetoric – we will be faced with a constant identity crisis. We will be constantly faced with the decision to be welcoming, friendly and respectful, or the opposite. As we go forward, we will have to make the conscious choice – every day – to be different.

I am deeply grateful for Batman, and the dozens of other members, who face this choice with a determination to do the right thing. Let’s get along. Let’s play visual novels. Let’s have fun together.

Thanks for taking the time to write that, Tay.

I was surprised to hear about Fuwanovel's ugly corners, which is probably a testament to just how well-kept the community is. I've noticed some great attitudes from people around here and I'm sure that spirit will continue to foster an atmosphere that I'd be really glad to be apart of.

As new people come into the community – especially from other VN sites which are known to have toxic rhetoric – we will be faced with a constant identity crisis. We will be constantly faced with the decision to be welcoming, friendly and respectful, or the opposite. As we go forward, we will have to make the conscious choice – every day – to be different.

I am deeply grateful for Batman, and the dozens of other members, who face this choice with a determination to do the right thing. Let’s get along. Let’s play visual novels. Let’s have fun together.

Well said. And let's not forget about the one who started it all...

j8zh.jpg

Everone had some very interesting things to say, thank you solidbatman and Tay for making us reflect on our community.  I myself haven't been able to post as much as I would like or follow every topic, so I guess most of the bad stuff must've gone way over my head. 

Having visited many forums since the late 90s, I've learned to stay away from internet drama as much as possible, and I got a very friendly and accepting vibe from Fuwanovel right from the beginning.  With maybe one or two exceptions that I can think of during all my time here, I don't remember seeing anyone particularly antagonistic or arrogant towards fellow members or staff.  I've always posted on just one or two forum at a time, and right now the only other forum I've settled in is a very small forum with a handful of members from a dead forum we used to post on, so I guess that means I like it here. B)

Also, I liked REtransInternational's tribute to Aaeru. ^^

I joined this site around 4 mounts ego and I was totally surprised with the warm welcome that I get, expressly since before that I was spending my time on MAL forum and I was getting used to new people being welcomed like "You new user that didn't watch half the number of anime that we did are inferior to as in every way so know your place" or something like that. And even if we put aside MAL forum most other forums are still full of trolls, unpolite people, unmature people, etc. (True not on the level of MAL they are still full of people like that).  But Fuwanovel is different most people hire are polite, intelligent, mature, caring... To tell the truth I was surprised that sack a forum even exist, so my thoughts of Fuwa are that it is very different from other forums in a good way.

Indeed, when we first started, we had a great and friendly environment. Of course, as any place grows, you'll start to get different types of people. It's the same thing for people playing a game you made, a book you wrote or whatever. You should it to a small supportive group first, then as it grows you get some more negative remarks, etc.

Unfortunately, I do know what Batman is referring to. I have seen a few posts that are privileged and rude. Someone might ask a question and lash at anyone who gives a poor answer, then I never see a single thanks being said. Probably a young person. If not, I feel sadness.

Indeed, when we first started, we had a great and friendly environment. Of course, as any place grows, you'll start to get different types of people. It's the same thing for people playing a game you made, a book you wrote or whatever. You should it to a small supportive group first, then as it grows you get some more negative remarks, etc.

Unfortunately, I do know what Batman is referring to. I have seen a few posts that are privileged and rude. Someone might ask a question and lash at anyone who gives a poor answer, then I never see a single thanks being said. Probably a young person. If not, I feel sadness.

Hoping that person isn't me... However, I do notice this a bit on IRC as well at times. There is certainly some certain sense always having the right answers and discouraging some people.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd see what happened if I put Tay's post through gizoogle........

....... :D

I hadn’t planned on respondin ta dis thread (more on dis later) yo, but I’ve since decided dat I need ta do so. I dropped a shitload of time thankin bout mah response, n' I hope dat tha hood will take a moment ta dig what tha fuck I gotta say. This is Batman’s thread yo, but up in order ta address what tha fuck he’s offered our asses here, I need ta start wit all dem lyrics bout mah dirty ass.

I officially joined tha forums just afta tha original gangsta joint was hacked/trashed, n' was able ta participate up in tha rebuildin effort. That was well over a year ago, n' I’ve peeped tha hood go all up in nuff muthafuckin unique periodz since then. I aint talkin' bout chicken n' gravy biatch. I’ve peeped a shitload of playas come n' go, n' tha joint has constantly grown, stretched n' dreamed of bigger thangs. It’s been inspiring, sometimes stressful n' heartbreaking, n' at other times, it’s been all dem thangs simultaneously. Durin tha recent joint outage (read: Fuwapocalypse), I realized dat Fuwanovel means a shitload ta me, n' has had a pimped out influence up in mah game. I decided ta start a project: “Tay’s History of Fuwanovel” ��" a cold-ass lil chroniclin of mah time here up in dis hood. Each chapter of tha book is divided up tha fuck into tha namez of hood members. One of tha chaptas is named “Solidbatman”.

Bathustla is one of mah closest playaz on Fuwanovel: one of mah thugs whoz opinion weighs as heavily as Ryoji’s ��" which is straight-up sayin suttin' ��" n' some muthafucka I deeply respect. He’s mah playa, n' I hope dat I’m his. I’ll be tha straight-up original gangsta one ta admit dat Bathustla joined tha staff ��" n' became a admin ��" durin a shitload of tha crib’s most hard as fuck chapters. Despite seein tha straight-up ugliest dat Fuwanovel has ta offer, he’s been a cold-ass lil constant force fo' cooperation, compromise, n' respect. Da word “character” comes ta mind, here, so peek-a-boo, clear tha way, I be comin' thru fo'sho. “Integrity” be another phat one.

I be glad dat Bathustla took tha time ta write dis post. We do need ta be playalier ta each other, n' mo' patient n' understandin when miscommunications n' conflicts arise. Like Batman, I’ve peeped tha skanky cornerz of Fuwanovel’s history. They’re there, so peek-a-boo, clear tha way, I be comin' thru fo'sho. Da staff forums chronicle a shitload of em. Many others have happened off tha forums. I’ve been there fo' most of em. I’ve tried ta learn from em.

Da point I’d like ta git across is pretty simple. We is each responsible fo' what tha fuck Fuwanovel becomes. Da way we act, re-act, react all determine what tha fuck tha hood standz for.

I hadn’t originally planned on respondin ta dis post. Bathustla n' I already know where we stand up in relation ta each other n' shit. But fuck dat shiznit yo, tha word on tha street is dat tha responsez of nuff freshly smoked up thugz prompted mah crazy ass ta respond ta them. To freshly smoked up members, n' ta they concerns.

Fuwanovel is changin yo, but it’s always been up in tha process of changing. Better than mah playas, I can attest dat tha joint n' hood have never stood still. As freshly smoked up playas come tha fuck into tha hood ��" especially from other VN cribs which is known ta have toxic rhetoric ��" we is ghon be faced wit a cold-ass lil constant identitizzle crisis. Us thugs is ghon be constantly faced wit tha decision ta be welcoming, thugged-out n' respectful, or tha opposite. As we go forward, we will gotta make tha conscious chizzle ��" every last muthafuckin dizzle ��" ta be different.

I be deeply grateful fo' Batman, n' tha dozenz of other members, whoz ass grill dis chizzle wit a thugged-out determination ta do tha right thang. Let’s git along. Let’s play visual novels. Let’s have funk together.

Sorry Tay. But I think the new version has more character, though ;)