Looking for some VN recommendations, maybe

torbin12

As there are a dizzying array of choices from as many sources, I would like to ask for rec's from some people who are likely or possibly more knowing in the VN area. So, the VN's I've played were Koihime Musou, Shera My Witch, Wanko To Kuraso, and Katawa Shoujo. Katawa Shoujo was my favorite, with Koihime Musou being the second. I like the fact that they both had a fair number of heroines, so a good number of heroines wouldn't be a problem. I heard about a VN called Mentaru Shoujo on a Katawa Shoujo forum, but the only message board I could find about it had almost detailed information about the heroines, and I didn't like that personally, I like the feel of getting to know them myself, you know? But I do plan to look into it eventually.

I don't really know what would be good to put, since I haven't really had much experience to know what would be relevant or not. I do like stuff that is out of the ordinary, at least a little, like even in Katawa Shoujo, its basically a different world than what I am used to, so it worked with just the fact that it was a school for the disabled, and not something extraordinary like, say, Mech's or Magic or something.

So...basically...I guess anyone have any suggestions of decent VN, lol. Oh, but if it has an anime adaptation, I would prefer if it's not basically just a Visual Novel version of the anime, like, if there were 4 girls chasing him or something in the anime, but he chooses the obvious main heroine, I would prefer the VN to be open and have a route for the others, as I tend to like those girls more. It's ok if all the heroines routes were written by different people, like I think was done in Katawa Shoujo, at least, it seems like it at some points, but I may be wrong.

Hmm...the way I wrote that out, it seems like I am asking for just romances....thats not too far off though, I guess, I mean, I like romance in just about any movie, show, or game I play. Any sort of theme or basis is fine really, but no Shounen-Ai/Shoujo-Ai stuff. Unless the Shounen-Ai involves a route with a cute trap *mischevious grin*.

Well, sorry for the wall of text, like I said, I don't really know what sort of info would be relevant to a request of this sort, I appreciate any time you spent reading it, and thank you for any time you spend on a response. I also apologize if this isn't the kind of thing we can post here, or if I posted it in the wrong spot.

I recommend G-Senjou no Maou, it quite an exciting and interesting story that shouldn't be too intimidating for a newcomer.

"You play the role of Azai Kyosuke, the son of a legendary gangster infamous in the underworld. You spend your time listening to Bach, playing God at school and covertly working for your stepfather, a ruthless financial heavyweight. This idyllic existence is broken when two individuals appear in the city - a beautiful girl named Usami Haru, with hair you could get lost in for days, and a powerful international gangster known only as Maou. Almost without delay, the two begin a deadly cat-and-mouse game, bringing you and your friends into the crossfire. Plotting, political intrigue and layer upon layer of interlocking traps are the weapons in this epic battle of wits."

I recommend G-Senjou no Maou, it quite an exciting and interesting story that shouldn't be too intimidating for a newcomer.

"You play the role of Azai Kyosuke, the son of a legendary gangster infamous in the underworld. You spend your time listening to Bach, playing God at school and covertly working for your stepfather, a ruthless financial heavyweight. This idyllic existence is broken when two individuals appear in the city - a beautiful girl named Usami Haru, with hair you could get lost in for days, and a powerful international gangster known only as Maou. Almost without delay, the two begin a deadly cat-and-mouse game, bringing you and your friends into the crossfire. Plotting, political intrigue and layer upon layer of interlocking traps are the weapons in this epic battle of wits."

Thank you for the recommendation, I will definitely check it out.

Based on what you requested and the VN that you have played, I suggest you try some titles like Da Capo and its sequel, and also Clannad as these two titles give several heroine routes. These two VN are also not straight out of the ordinary, but also have their own uniqueness.

However, for more exciting plot and setting, II strongly suggest Fate/Stay Night and Muvluv Extra and its sequels. These two titles provide a very strong plot that focuses more on the story itseld rather than the heroines, although the heroines are of course still a strong part of the story

Based on what you requested and the VN that you have played, I suggest you try some titles like Da Capo and its sequel, and also Clannad as these two titles give several heroine routes. These two VN are also not straight out of the ordinary, but also have their own uniqueness.

However, for more exciting plot and setting, II strongly suggest Fate/Stay Night and Muvluv Extra and its sequels. These two titles provide a very strong plot that focuses more on the story itseld rather than the heroines, although the heroines are of course still a strong part of the story

Im in the middle of Da Capo and its very enjoyable. Definetely recommend Clannad. It is OUTSTANDING!!!! very emotional tho. so be warned and get the tissues ready lol. My wife cried for like 4 days after finishing it. well maybe not 4 days but u get the idea.

Also started Katawa Shoujo, cant thank whoever recommended that to me enough. Cant seem to stop playing it.

Since you mentioned Koihime Musou as your second, you might want to check out Sengoku Rance; great turn-based gameplay and plenty of heroines. The replay value is extremely high with the way they made the game progress: high caution of time sink.

I thought about doing Sengoku Rance, because on the face it does seem like I one that I would love (as I do love most things set in the 3 kingdoms/warring states periods) but upon reading the synopsis on Visual Novel Database, and seeing that it has a rapist protagonist, I very quickly shunted it out of my mind, as I am in no way interested in being that sort of protagonist.

I thought about doing Sengoku Rance, because on the face it does seem like I one that I would love (as I do love most things set in the 3 kingdoms/warring states periods) but upon reading the synopsis on Visual Novel Database, and seeing that it has a rapist protagonist, I very quickly shunted it out of my mind, as I am in no way interested in being that sort of protagonist.

Thank you for this information, I won't touch it either then !

But it's the hilarious kind of rape protagonist! XD (It's more supposed to be comedic instead of dark in this case)

It may sound kind of strange but I prefer the other way around :P. Comedic rape seems odd. Does it involves the female versions of the Sengoku Jidai warlords ? My mind is getting restless imaging Takeda Shingen or Uesugi Kenshin getting raped :lol:. I am curious now !

Offtopic:

Yeah, Sengoku Rance is pretty funny, plus sex scenes don't really add much to the story(Except comedic value in some/many cases) so you can easily fast-forward through them, which is what I do most of the time.

Except Suzume's, those are hilarious to read~

Ontopic:

Hm...I am not really sure what to recommend, those I would have already been mentioned.

If you happen to like Fate/Stay Night, check out Tsukihime(same people, earlier work) as well. its artwork is miles behind F/SN, but if you can get past that you may end up liking it even more than F/SN, at least, I do >>;

Other games:

Tears to Tiara

Eien no Aselia

Hoshizora no Memoria

It may sound kind of strange but I prefer the other way around :P. Comedic rape seems odd. Does it involves the female versions of the Sengoku Jidai warlords ? My mind is getting restless imaging Takeda Shingen or Uesugi Kenshin getting raped :lol:. I am curious now !

If you're looking for good gameplay and good story, sengoku rance is definitely a good choice. Of course, I'll have to warn you that as mentioned before, there is some rape scene and loads of H-scene. But I personally think it is worth playing or at least worth trying

If you're looking for good gameplay and good story, sengoku rance is definitely a good choice. Of course, I'll have to warn you that as mentioned before, there is some rape scene and loads of H-scene. But I personally think it is worth playing or at least worth trying

I will try it then. I might be more upset about the historical fidelity though :P. Female version of the warlords is kind of silly. I'll just imagine their real life male counterparts, boastful and kind of scary, being humiliated, I guess. I don't grasp how rape can be fun, but I don't think people here are that ill spirited to find it amusing without reasons. The gameplay looks good, and the art too, so I have to give it at least a try :).

By the way, would anyone recommend me trying Utawarerumono ? It looks similar to Final Fantasy Tactics wich I liked.

I will try it then. I might be more upset about the historical fidelity though :P. Female version of the warlords is kind of silly. I'll just imagine their real life male counterparts, boastful and kind of scary, being humiliated, I guess. I don't grasp how rape can be fun, but I don't think people here are that ill spirited to find it amusing without reasons. The gameplay looks good, and the art too, so I have to give it at least a try :).

By the way, would anyone recommend me trying Utawarerumono ? It looks similar to Final Fantasy Tactics wich I liked.

Since you seem to be really against rape scenes, I should warn you that it's kind of the point of Rance as he's literally just here to have sex with 300 women. No, really, that's one of his gameplay objectives. XD

Ironically, since you mentioned historical context, it actually makes sense as in reality rape and pillage was an ancient motivator for conquest and is the cause of much bloodshed, so at least there's no whitewashing and pretending all the conquests and territorial wars were only for honor and noble reasons.

However, the thing about Rance though, is that he's terribly immature, so even though they're still rape scenes, it's pretty differen. In fact, Rance has no idea it's supposed to be wrong at all, and is too immature to understand naughty words like "penis" and "cum". Instead it's all about "GAHAHAHAHA! MY HYPER WEAPON IS CHARGING MY IMPERIAL JUICES! TOOOHHHHHH!" He genuinely believes he is making girls happy and it's his duty as a hero, and he's too immature to understand things like love or that it's immoral. It's really over the top and the BMG is a remix of the national theme of East Germany, rather unfitting for sex but upping the intended humor. They're also pretty short and the main purpose seems to be comedy by portraying outrageous scenarios rather than actually causing arousal. Your millage may vary.

Really, Rance really shouldn't be taken too seriously. If you want unfortunate implications, you can note that it features a white guy who lands in Japan, takes over for the Nobunaga, and proceeds to conquer and rape Japanese women from every region and destroying and possibly raping famous Japanese heroes! Yet Japanese fans don't seem to be offended. In fact the series is of historical value for being the longest running eroge series of all time, and is the reason why the games are never voiced even when others from the company all are, because it's too much of a classic and fans over the two decades have developed their idea of how the characters should sound.

Still, given how you and Ryoji felt about it in fiction, and especially the way a few throwaway sexist lines from Shirou who is otherwise quite the white knight made you upset enough to want to stop, I really think you're probably best off staying FAR, FAR away from any Rance game, where rape is comedy. (Rance getting buttraped is ALSO comedy and a Bad End!)

As for Utawarerumono, the gameplay is incredibly simple so don't expect anything FFT tier. Sengoku Rance has much more complexity as a strategy RPG. But the story is pretty fun and I'd rather compare it to something like Fire Emblem or Romance of the Three Kingdoms. You start out in a village, eventually become leader, and then out of self defense start fighting against various powerful nations trying to crush you and gaining many new allies from former enemies.

Utawaremono is pretty good. It's a VN that I originally played without the h scene, then I found out that there are h scene in the original version, but I never tried it in the end. The gameplay is just as moekou said, not as complex as FFT, but it's still quite fun as I remember it. The story is also quite interesting to see

Wow, what a thorough post ! Thank you !

Since you seem to be really against rape scenes, I should warn you that it's kind of the point of Rance as he's literally just here to have sex with 300 women. No, really, that's one of his gameplay objectives. XD

You know me too well now :lol:.

It is indeed completely over the top !

Ironically, since you mentioned historical context, it actually makes sense as in reality rape and pillage was an ancient motivator for conquest and is the cause of much bloodshed, so at least there's no whitewashing and pretending all the conquests and territorial wars were only for honor and noble reasons.

It might be true, but I don't think Oda Nobunaga conquered to rape women :P. I understand the comical situation though. Japanese might be fed up with the Sengoku period. A little fantasy can spice things up I guess :D.

However, the thing about Rance though, is that he's terribly immature, so even though they're still rape scenes, it's pretty differen. In fact, Rance has no idea it's supposed to be wrong at all, and is too immature to understand naughty words like "penis" and "cum". Instead it's all about "GAHAHAHAHA! MY HYPER WEAPON IS CHARGING MY IMPERIAL JUICES! TOOOHHHHHH!" He genuinely believes he is making girls happy and it's his duty as a hero, and he's too immature to understand things like love or that it's immoral. It's really over the top and the BMG is a remix of the national theme of East Germany, rather unfitting for sex but upping the intended humor. They're also pretty short and the main purpose seems to be comedy by portraying outrageous scenarios rather than actually causing arousal. Your millage may vary.

Haha ! I have to be honest it sounds funny ! I need to try it out and see how these scenes turn out to be. They might be light enough to be at least endurable, maybe even enjoyable.

Really, Rance really shouldn't be taken too seriously. If you want unfortunate implications, you can note that it features a white guy who lands in Japan, takes over for the Nobunaga, and proceeds to conquer and rape Japanese women from every region and destroying and possibly raping famous Japanese heroes! Yet Japanese fans don't seem to be offended. In fact the series is of historical value for being the longest running eroge series of all time, and is the reason why the games are never voiced even when others from the company all are, because it's too much of a classic and fans over the two decades have developed their idea of how the characters should sound.

Interesting ! It is impressive that this kind of game got that much of a following, there should certainly be something to it, and I want to know what :).

Still, given how you and Ryoji felt about it in fiction, and especially the way a few throwaway sexist lines from Shirou who is otherwise quite the white knight made you upset enough to want to stop, I really think you're probably best off staying FAR, FAR away from any Rance game, where rape is comedy. (Rance getting buttraped is ALSO comedy and a Bad End!)

Haha, serves him right ! :lol:

In Fate it irks me as completely out of place. As you said Shirou is the white knight figure, so I can't understand why he becomes so mean. If the story is build around it in the first place, I don't know how I might react, so I have to give it at least a try.

As for Utawarerumono, the gameplay is incredibly simple so don't expect anything FFT tier. Sengoku Rance has much more complexity as a strategy RPG. But the story is pretty fun and I'd rather compare it to something like Fire Emblem or Romance of the Three Kingdoms. You start out in a village, eventually become leader, and then out of self defense start fighting against various powerful nations trying to crush you and gaining many new allies from former enemies.

I happen to like both, so I guess it should be a no brainer. I need to better manage my time though, 24 hours a day really isn't enough :lol:.

Utawaremono is pretty good. It's a VN that I originally played without the h scene, then I found out that there are h scene in the original version, but I never tried it in the end. The gameplay is just as moekou said, not as complex as FFT, but it's still quite fun as I remember it. The story is also quite interesting to see

Thank you, I'll try it then !

• 3 weeks later...

I am fairly new in playing visual novels (only started about 4 months ago?) and i have played only a few (considering my university education)..

Still, i can recommend trying G Senjou no Maou.. It was my first Vn and i was stunned at it's exhilarating plot.. definitely worth a shot..

Also, Clannad and Tomoyo After are really good if you want drama and romance..

Katawa Shoujo is also highly recommended. It can give a much more different experience due to the lack of voice actors..

Well, that's all I can recommend for now..

Thank you for all the recommendations here in the forum.. I'll download and see these recommended games for myself ^^