Jeanne at the Clock Tower [Out now!]

jeanne.jpg

Mangagamer announced today that Jeanne at the Clock Tower will release on June 10th.

The game will release on Manggamer (NSFW!):

https://www.mangagamer.com/r18/detail.php?product_code=1230&af=3a123f6214695bfacaa881bd3117c693

And on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1605130/Jeanne_at_the_Clock_Tower

The Steam version will be uncut and ther won't be an separate patch.

The Opening can be found here:

The orginal uncut Opening (NSFW!) can be found here:

Spoiler

Walkthrough:

Here is an Englisch walkthrough courtesy of the translator ZackZeal:

Spoiler
Save 1
Ask them myself instead.
Have her wait here.
Tell her not to overexert herself.
Save 2
Fight fair and square.
Shout at him to stop.
Save 3
Reject Milady's proposal.
Save 4
Let's end this already.
I'll look for a way back.
Take Jeanne back.
JEANNE END 1
From Save 4
You're not alone.
I want to be with you.
Take Jeanne back.
JEANNE END 2
From Save 1
Have her hear them out
Have her come with me.
Swear in his heart to protect her.
Fight fair and square.
Offer to take her place.
Reject Milady's proposal.
Let's end this already.
Relinquish his life.
BAD END (Witch Jeanne)
From Save 2
Pretend to surrender to take her by surprise
BAD END (Edwalda)
From Save 3
Accept Milady's proposal.
Let's end this already.
Take Jeanne back.

BAD END (Milady)

And here is the Japanese walkthrough from Seiya-Saiga:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&u=https://seiya-saiga.com/game/liarsoft/jeanne.html

If there ins anything I missed please let me know and I will add it later.

Edited by Formlose Gestalt

34 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

Glad to see there's no geoblocking this time! (Or at least, not in my region.)

I don't think it's geoblocked. My guess is that Adabana Odd Tales geoblocking wasn't on Liar-Soft and rather on Aniplex.

But I can't really check it since it is Adult-tagged on Steam and with that not accessible for where I am anyway.

Edited by Formlose Gestalt

• 2 weeks later...
  • Formlose Gestalt changed the title to Jeanne at the Clock Tower [Out now!]

For some reason the milady end doesnt work, I tried it about 3 times and even started a new save from the start to make sure I made the correct decisions, and every time I just get the witch end. Any clue what im doing wrong?

Edited by name123

On 6/16/2021 at 9:04 AM, name123 said:

For some reason the milady end doesnt work, I tried it about 3 times and even started a new save from the start to make sure I made the correct decisions, and every time I just get the witch end. Any clue what im doing wrong?

The old walkthrough had a mistake (a choice was missing), so maybe that was the problem?

I edited the walkthrough above. If that doesn't help maybe try asking on the Mangagamer Discord: https://discord.gg/Xb28rjc

I haven't had much time to read Jeanne until now, so I can't really help. Sorry

So, I played this for a while and really tried to like it, but I just... can't. Sometimes I really hate it if VNDB is right. :amane:

Let's just address the elephant in the room. They couldn't get their usual main writer Sakurai to write it and picked their... scripter instead (?!) who should try his very best with the help of four (?!) equally questionable assistant writers. This is especially problematic in this case, since Sakurai has a very unique writing style that is almost poetic and fits very well to Liar Soft's somewhat surreal steampunk worlds with a lovecraftian touch. It might have its own issues but usually it has a lot of flair and a bit of an otome style. In short, she's very difficult to replace if you want to keep that style.

Now, they also tried to create a somewhat surreal world here, even if it's not SteamPunkt, but involving WW2, the french Hundred Year's War arround Jeanne d'Arc, the Celtic otherworld Annwn, time travel and whatnot. Sakura would have probably been able to pull that off somehow, but these writers just lacked the skill for that - the writing was just extremely bland. Plot and characters felt more like a big stew where they just throwed in erverything that came to mind, including a bar of chocolate an old shoe and a dead rat. Character development pretty much didn't exist and world building neither. Characters in general were just walking plot devices, with a plot that barely made sense and that's far too repetitive. Several fights felt exactly the same invoving the same characters without any clear resolution. On other occasions, they went so much into technical details of completely irrelevant stuff that it almost felt like reading a Wikipedia article.

But the worst thing is probably the over-sexualization. Having just read Funbag Fantasy 3 if which was pretty good, I'm certainly not against that if it's the 'right' type of VN. But this isn't an ero focused VN at all. It at least 'tries' to be serious. Which makes me question their decision to hire a nukige artist from Softhouse Seal for their art. That said, he actually did a good job with it. Gilles de Rais in paticular looks great and the female characters look like a good combination between fitting for the scenario and hot.
However, I'm not sure if the writer just wanted to be 'edgy' or just is a big rape hentai fan, but he tried to put almost every H-scene into a bad context of either rape, abuse or snuff, even if the CG's itself are just vanilla. Overall, it's just used to make you feel bad. A little exception might be non-witch Jeanne, who's just a natural born exhibitionist who strips down on every occasion. Like, Roland in WW2 uniform transforming into a holy knight if Jeanne makes a strip show. :michiru:

Another problem is that the VN is told from third person perspective, but Jeanne only has a sprite that always looks straight into the screen instead of facing Roland instead, which feels rather odd after a while. You could also see small black lines in the faces resulting from scaling problems which seems to be a bug of the port.

Heroine ranking: Don't care

Overall rating: 3/10 (Writing is 1/10, but I give a bonus point for the art and the unique scenario each)