What non-VN writer would you like to see writing a VN?

I've been thinking about this since yesterday since I saw someone on here suggest that maybe a VN could more popular if a famous writer wrote a VN. While I'm not entirely convinced this is true, I do find it an interesting thought experiment and I've thought about writers that I think could write cool VN's. I've included both western and Japanese authors in my personal list:

・Murakami Haruki (Norwegian Wood and Kafka on the Shore)

・Itoi Shigesato (MOTHER trilogy)

・Oowaku Hiroyuki (Silent Hill 2)

・Chris Avellone (Fallout: New Vegas and Planescape Torment)

・J.D Sallinger (The Catcher in the Rye)

Edited by AngstyNarrator

2 minutes ago, Templarseeker said:

Whoa! While I might not recognized the other writers, You mentioned just Chris Avellone among them. That guy usually only write stuffs for RPGs! :mare:

He also wrote Planescape Torment, which is an RPG but has tons of dialogue and narration not unlike a book. It was even jokingly added to VNDB 7 days ago.

55 minutes ago, AngstyNarrator said:

He also wrote Planescape Torment, which is an RPG but has tons of dialogue and narration not unlike a book. It was even jokingly added to VNDB 7 days ago.

Planescape Torment in VNDB?! The Hell?! Really?! Is that for real?! Never heard of that until now lol! And here I though most VN/Eroge readers/players are anime weebs who just transitioned to playing/reading anime games. Glad to know I was wrong lol! :Chocola:

Anyways... Planescape Torment, despite being a RPG, it has less combat and you'll spend most of the time reading. I think Planescape Torment is the game that solidified
Chris Avellone being a great writer in the CRPG community making himself a name. It's one of the few games in its time that is narrative heavy. It even rivals Baldur's Gate in scope of its writing. however Baldur's Gate is tons much more fun to play than Planescape Torment, since its not successful financially but it does have a cult classic status. 

of all the Infinity Engine games, Planescape Torment is the only game that I wasn't able to complete since its too much narrative heavy for my liking as a kid back then, and I'll rather read an actual book than read stuffs on the PC not that I hate reading... Planescape Torment lacks character customization which is such a let down, that's why prefer playing Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale series any time of the day. 

A great CRPG should be balanced containing decent amounts of both gameplay and narrative. having too much of the other only makes an CRPG dull and boring...

Hmm... too bad Chris Avellone is no longer with Obsidian Entertainment due to personal differences. nevertheless he still works as a freelance writer. he even wrote stuffs for Pathfinder Kingmaker and its upcoming sequel Wrath Of The Righteous. I think he also wrote some stuff and design some levels in Wasteland 2. Such a great guy!

So Planescape Torment the only game from Chris Avellone that you've played so far? :mare:

14 minutes ago, Templarseeker said:

So Planescape Torment the only game from Chris Avellone that you've played so far? :mare:

I beat Fallout: New Vegas. The reason why I think he could do a good VN is because his games tend to feature tons of branching paths which could easily be adapted well into a VN format and I think he could bring something intellectual and memorable to visual novels.

1 minute ago, AngstyNarrator said:

I beat Fallout: New Vegas. The reason why I think he could do a good VN is because his games tend to feature tons of branching paths which could easily be adapted well into a VN format and I think he could bring something intellectual and memorable to visual novels.

Yeah an VN RPG hybrid maybe. I think he won't go out of his way to make a VN, what do you like most in a VN anyways? the setting or the characters?

8 minutes ago, AngstyNarrator said:

I like "the full package".

Heh.... if only life were easy... You cannot have everything in life, its the same to games. that's why we play many different games to fill that gap

Western game Writers like Chris Avellone excel in World Building and actual game lore,

Whereas Eastern/Japanese game Writers  shines on characterization, that's the reason why they always include cute girls in their games, each with unique varying personalities.

heck even Chris Avellone admits at some point that he incorporates some eastern writing style in creating his characters on a RPG.

try playing king of dragon pass, then compare it to a typical visual novel/eroge. you'll understand...

24 minutes ago, Templarseeker said:

heck even Chris Avellone admits at some point that he incorporates some eastern writing style in creating his characters on a RPG.

Do you have a source for this? I really want to see the quote specifically because it sounds interesting. I heard the cinematics in Planescape Torment when you cast certain spells take influence from the summons from Final Fantasy 7. That's another JRPG influence that appears in his work.

8 hours ago, AngstyNarrator said:

Do you have a source for this? I really want to see the quote specifically because it sounds interesting. I heard the cinematics in Planescape Torment when you cast certain spells take influence from the summons from Final Fantasy 7. That's another JRPG influence that appears in his work.

Sorry couldn't provide one, its was a very long time ago I stumble upon it by accident while reading some dozen of articles about Chris Avellone scattering in the Internet. I tried finding it but all I can find nowadays are articles of Sexual Misconduct or Sexual Assault about Chris Avellone. Well I don't really care if Chris Avellone is a womanizer or something as long as he still writes RPG games and stuff.

Creatives like him tend to be crazy one way or the other... :sacchan:

William Arand.  Great dark harem writer.  Would probably make great Venus Blood style VNs, lol.

Michelle West would probably write really good plotge.

Steven Brust would do good drama.

Steven Erikson would probably write a grand multi-game fantasy that would blow all your minds.