What's the worst visual novel adaptation you've seen?

Aselia the Eternal adaptation is a joke. If you think that adaptations that try to condense 50+ hour long VNs into 24 episodes of anime are bad, how about a 2-episode OVA? Though, admittedly, the only adapted about a half of the story and just dropped it after that.

If we are talking about adaptations that actually have some semblance of a story, then, perhaps, Rewrite the 1st season, though I haven't seen that many. The first Fate anime would probably be somewhere close if I somehow managed to watch more than 1 episode, lol.

Majikoi, but mostly because it was 90% anime original content, 10% from the VN was super rushed, and the characterization was way different so jokes werent as funny.

Many 'hated' adaptations like Umineko or Grisaia or Dies Irae I dont mind since at least they still adapted the VNs story, just leaving out a lot of details. They didnt outright change the story or characters themslve.s

Edited by NowItsAngeTime

2 hours ago, NowItsAngeTime said:

Majikoi, but mostly because it was 90% anime original content, 10% from the VN was super rushed, and the characterization was way different so jokes werent as funny.

Many 'hated' adaptations like Umineko or Grisaia or Dies Irae I dont mind since at least they still adapted the VNs story, just leaving out a lot of details. They didnt outright change the story or characters themslve.s

idk about Grisaia, but Umineko is simply unsolvable in the anime, since they didn't take in account MANY key points that make the solution possible

While I understand the reason on why people didn't like Grisaia anime, actually it's reasonable adaptation if we look at on how Frontwing develop the trilogy. The reason is simple, in that at the original VN we never see the linear route on how Yuuji save all of the girls at once and while the anime itself solve that particular plot hole. So as long as you didn't mind on how the anime itself didn't adapt enough scene and that the heroines episodes are goes too quickly, I can say that Kajitsu anime here is fine adaptation to a degree. Of course I can see that most people said that the VN is better, although format wise it would be no better since Frontwing did develop Kajitsu as charage and yet they want to write the trilogy as linear VNs so the format between Kajitsu and the rest of the trilogy was clashed.

In any case, at least nowadays the adaptation anime of Visual Novels standard here did improved a lot, especially compared to Tsui no Sora that I said above in that they even manage to get the plot wrong such as Takuji is the one who rape Zakuro instead of a thug. Granted that Tsui no Sora OVA here is just a hentai anime, but I know that they can do better so no excuse to make wrong story there.

Dies Irae or Tsukihime.  Dies Irae barely resembles the original and the action animations are fairly horrible.  Tsukihime tries to mash all the paths together into a single anime, thus making it make no sense at all.

Ah 11eyes anime, the adaptation where the director (Or the writer) depict Yuka worse than she was in the anime adaptation for some reason (I can only guess that it's because the director didn't like Yuka as much as Misuzu). Well at least no more anime adaptation were worse than Tsui no Sora OVA, and that extend to Shuffle in which the director did probably didn't like Kaede because her personality was very different in the anime compared to the VN.