Original Majikoi VN translation comparisons - fanTL vs JAST TL [common route only]

NowItsAngeTime

So if anyone was curious about the various translation differences between the original Majikoi VN fantranslation and JAST's official translation, I compiled a bunch of notable scenes in the common route with screenshots of the different translations.

My observation (based on my limited knowledge of Japanese and listening to the voice acting) is that the fantranslation is a bit more literal, while the JAST translation is a bit more localized. But they're both similar enough, and keep "Last Name First Name" order as well as all honorifics.

https://imgur.com/a/xgtjLR7 

1 hour ago, mitchhamilton said:

some weird choices. i like the we and us thing the kuki have going on. didnt know thats what they were saying in the original

Yep Hideo likes to say "我々(われわれ)" in the voice acting which directly means "We"

Edited by NowItsAngeTime

1 hour ago, Stormwolf said:

Is that the "warewarewa" something? 

Yes. 我々(われわれ) is transcribed as "wareware".

From what I remember from reading Fan-tl, its main problem was naming inconsistency between routes - since various parts were translated by different people, and it seems that editors didn't catch everything.

Edited by adamstan

1 hour ago, adamstan said:

Yes. 我々(われわれ) is transcribed as "wareware".

From what I remember from reading Fan-tl, its main problem was naming inconsistency between routes - since various parts were translated by different people, and it seems that editors didn't catch everything.

I'm just guessing they didnt even bother going through common + the other 5 routes that were already complete and just worked on doing the rest of the VN their style since the wait for the whole VN had been so long at that point.

Edited by NowItsAngeTime

Considering that back at 2014 'Miyako 85% translated' has already become the meme and that I didn't like the meme of 'Unlimited Miyako Works' back at VNTL site (Yes we used to have that back then), I would say that the fan translator did the wise choice by just directly translating the untranslated parts and didn't work on the rest. If anything, at least this way the translator can satisfy whoever been waiting for this to be fully translated ever since at 2009 and then the team can do whatever what they want to do with the scripts (Either reworking on it and re-released the patch later, or ask JAST to work together (Which should be easy seeing that Peter Payne already show some interest to do this back at VNDB) and obviously reworking on it).

Anyway I guess as long as people fine with both translation it should be okay to either play the fan translated version or JAST version, and at least the latter is consistent when it come to the naming (Not that it change my mind that JAST release itself is redundant anyway).

Edited by littleshogun