How is Rance 10 the top rated R18 visual novel in erogamescape? (Rance X Spoilers)

jackski

So I remember playing Rance 10 when it first came out and people weren't that happy about it. The scores were pretty mediocre as well. I've played most of the game and gave up at part 2. I haven't played much r-18 VNs since, and just recently realized it is the now highest rated game on erogamescape. I clearly wasn't particularly fond of that game, but I would like to know what had changed either with the game or wth the reviewers that made the reviews increase by this much.

Ah, I think I might remember what you're referring to.

Basically what happened was that Rance X is a very very big game. The scores in the first few weeks were mostly from the people who had given up or hadn't finished and weren't impressed by the story. Or those disappointed at the low number of H-Scenes or any other such aspects.

From that point on, it simply jumped up. The scores from the people who had actually finished the game started coming in, and the game scored greatly with these people.

• Mr Poltroon changed the title to How is Rance 10 the top rated R18 visual novel in erogamescape? (Rance X Spoilers)
10 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Ah, I think I might remember what you're referring to.

Basically what happened was that Rance X is a very very big game. The scores in the first few weeks were mostly from the people who had given up or hadn't finished and weren't impressed by the story. Or those disappointed at the low number of H-Scenes or any other such aspects.

From that point on, it simply jumped up. The scores from the people who had actually finished the game started coming in, and the game scored greatly with these people.

I see. Well, I admit I'm a pretty salty that a game disappointed me is so well received and thought there are some DLCs or patches that 'fixed' it, but I guess it was three years ago and doesn't really matter anymore. Thanks for explaining, I'll go back to being salty.

12 hours ago, jackski said:

I see. Well, I admit I'm a pretty salty that a game disappointed me is so well received and thought there are some DLCs or patches that 'fixed' it, but I guess it was three years ago and doesn't really matter anymore. Thanks for explaining, I'll go back to being salty.

That's fine. The game chose to focus on certain things and neglected others, and even the gameplay system is quite interesting, so it's not to everyone's taste.

You mentioned patches and there were a couple, actually. One added a non-canon event/card for winning the popularity poll, Suzume (and Sieg lost by just a bit, nooooooooooo). There were, I think, a couple of characters added through updates, and also an event with La Vaswald, adding her to the game, though mostly as a bonus. Finally, I *think* one H-Scene got added?

Anyway, others would know better than I, and while the updates did make the game better, they're not super impactful. Especially considering a player was already going to spend a couple hundred hours on the game anyway.

1 hour ago, AngstyNarrator said:

What's the combat like in Rance X?

Okay, I'm not the most knowledgeable but the combat system is all about collecting cards (aka characters) which each have their own abilities/attacks. Each card/character has an associated faction (i.e Helman, Rance Castle, Zeth, JAPAN, etc).

For each battle, you choose one card from each faction to act as leader and you are able to use only the leaders' abilities. All the other cards from the same faction contribute bonus stats/attack to their leader.

A number of battles are designed specifically so that you choose the characters that have the best abilities to deal with each battle.