Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies Released! (3DS)

Ryechu

So, the English version of Phoenix Wright:  Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies released today (10/28).  I JUST finished downloading it, and I figured I'd make a post talking about it.  The total price, with tax, was $32.33, so make sure you have enough funds.

If you don't put spoilers in spoilers, I will send Secret Agents Naynay and Kaguya at you.

Anyways, once I play the first case, I'll post some thoughts!

I'm playing it as soon as possible. Thanks for the news~

If you don't put spoilers in spoilers, I will send Secret Agents Naynay and Kaguya at you.

I'm a secret agent now? I thought my "conquering the multiverse with the kaguya faction" plan was fairly apparent, but I guess not, huh. Okay, get ready for some secret action!

Kaguya's eyes blaze with enthusiasm!

On a side note, I'm really hyped for this. Phoenix Wright is amazing~

I finished Dual Destinies earlier today. My reactions (copy-pasted from the post I made on a different forum):

Now that I have my thoughts gathered, I'd say I would put DD as my second favorite AA game behind T&T. DD had some of the most unique characters and most hilarious writing of the series, but it wasn't without its flaws.

The music ranged from "meh" to "great", and that's OK usually, but I expected a bit more from an AA game. There weren't as many stand-out tracks that were especially memorable as there were in previous games. The translation was a bit sloppy at times, and I spotted a ridiculous number of typos. There was even a bug during an investigation segment where the speaker was labeled as "Invalid Message." Maybe I just have a better eye for those sorts of things now, but I only recall one or two typos at most over ALL of the previous Ace Attorney games. The crazy number of typos here was kinda jarring. The animation for the cutscenes was excellent (as expected of BONES), but don't even get me started on the voice acting...

Anyways, on to the individual cases now that I have finished them all...

Case 1: It was decent for a first case. The trick with using the bomb as a blunt object was kinda neat, but the WOODS thing was far too obvious. The part near the end with the bomb threat added something new and exciting, but the actual breakdown wasn't the greatest. I would probably put it behind AJ but in front of the PW games for "Best First Case."

Case 2: Really enjoyed this one. Literally every character introduced in this episode was memorable, and the locked room murder itself was interesting. I still wish they hadn't revealed L'Belle as the killer from the start, even if it WAS pretty obvious once you met him. The atmosphere of this one was... different, but in a good way. It was almost refreshing. The breakdown was a bit weak compared to the rest in this game, but eh.

Case 3: This one ties with Case 5 for my favorite in the game. I had totally suspected Means from the start, but the game did a good job at prying you away from any suspicions you had of him by constantly shoving it in your face that only the trio could have moved the body. Means' breakdown was one of the best of the entire series and the whole "rolecall" scene was really funny. Klavier's role here was interesting, not as involved as it could have been, but at least it wasn't like Ema from AAI. This episode also contained my second favorite character of the game, Robin Newman <3 (my first favorite being Fulbright).

Case 4: Mixed feelings. This really should have been combined with Case 5. It started out excellently, but the lack of finding a killer really made the ending feel underwhelming. In fact, I can barely even remember where this episode ended! All characters introduced here were also fun, but not quite as interesting as the ones in episodes 2 and 3. This was probably my least favorite case.

Case 5: Awkward in terms of pacing, but ultimately a really satisfying case. Facing off against Miles was a nice throwback. I also liked that the final trial was in the destroyed courtroom, that was a pretty epic venue for the final episode. The cross examination of Blackquill was handled well, but felt too short. Did not expect the true culprit. It obviously isn't coincidence that they made the most likable character into the backstabbing traitor, and it was very effective in terms of shock value. The showdown with Phantom was intense... until the final present.

The final present was so ridiculously underwhelming, I couldn't actually believe it was over at that point. I mean seriously, think back to the final presents of the past games. In PW you carefully choose when to present the evidence law book to catch Gant on a technicality, in JFA you present the video tape that proves to De Killer that he was being betrayed, breaking their contract and allowing Phoenix to escape a hopeless situation, and in T&T you present Godot himself to show that his mask is what Maya saw and that he is the true killer! It's usually memorable and epic to present that final piece of damning evidence... but in DD you just present an earring that was mentioned once, really late into the game and had no real emotional attachment to it. Yeah. Luckily the great breakdown sorta makes up for it.

Couple more thoughts:
-FAR too easy. The game basically spells things out to you with excessive hints. "Hmm... I need to find evidence that the body was moved... I know, maybe THAT photo has the answer!" The game holds your hand even more than AJ, and that's without even considering the "Consult" hints.
-Trucy and Pearl had no reason to be in the game. Not only were their roles negligible, but they felt grossly OOC.
-Perceive and Psych-Locks were underused. Also, we seriously didn't get to break the Black Locks manually? It just happens naturally as part of the story?! Lame.

The recent Ace Attorney games have been a little disappointing. The original trilogy was awesome, but imo, the recent titles haven't been able to recapture the magic of the originals. I'll still get this one, but it's no longer a priority for me.

Apollo Justice was a step backwards for the series, but I feel that the Investigations games were pretty good. After taking a while to think about it, I really do think this game is on par with the originals. Yeah, there are many flaws, but this game did a lot of new and interesting things that make up for it in my opinion.

I thought I would focus a bit more on EO:U first, but I caved in and bought it already.  This is actualy my first Ace Attorney game, I've only ever tried the WiiWare version of the first one, but didn't really have the occasion to play more.  I'm enjoying it so far, currently still early in the second case.