Looking for people to work with me to make a certain kind of Visual Novel

Nenor5VB

(UPDATED ON APRIL 22ND 2020 INCLUDING MY OC DESIGNS FOR USE IN MY VISUAL NOVEL PROJECT )

Currently, I am longing so much to play a VN with a Black Male Protagonist, so since I can't wait any more longer for any companies from America or Japan to make it happen, I now want to take matters into my own hands and solve the lack of a commercial VN product with this setting by making it myself. The problem is, I currently now lack funds, resources, expertise, personnel and many other factors that would be necessary into turning it into at least a B or A-class ranked commercial VN product. It doesn't have to be triple A class rivalling some Japanese VN eroges like Grisaia or Sorcery Jokers, but something like this >>>  

So, of course I have now come to the realization that I can't do this alone, so I want to recruit at first volunteers to work and cooperate with me in our VN project that'll star a Black Male Protagonist. If any of you guys here are interested or know anyone that you think could help me get men for my project, can you please reply here ? By the way, while I'd like to be the Lead Project Director that'll make key decisions in the game's story and setting after discussing and getting some important suggestions from other experts in the project members list, here are staff members I'm recruiting for :

1. Investor(s)
Making a proper VN that'll be a great commercial product takes a lot of money, especially if we want to hire music composers, background artists, theme researchers and technical experts on some fields related to the game's story and settings, programmers, etc, so I could use a few investors willing to contribute a collective amount of at least a minimum of $25,000.

2. Music Composer
Music is an important part in any game, especially for a VN that relies only on a non-playable reading aspect, so the music has to be good to draw you in to the story and make it memorable. For that I need the services of an experienced professional music composer.

3. Writer
I need a very experienced professional writer to write the dialogues and overall plot of my VN's story and characters. I am aiming for a very long and gripping main plot involving conspiracies surrounding the main antagonist, all in a fantasy setting with a magic academy, so I want at least a total playtime of 50 hours if one aims to play all 5 Romanceable Heroine routes plus the Common Route.

4. Expert Field Researchers
Any story element thought of by the writer that contains specialized information of specific fields like in scientific terms/knowledge and the like requires for it to be based on true facts, so some experts in that field can be recruited for my project for him to check and confirm the authenticity of the Writer's points in the facts written of those specific elements. 

5. Background Artist and Character Artwork Illustrator ( UPDATED ON 22ND APRIL 2021 )
While I can draw my art is still not Pro-Level yet, so require the services of a pro illustrator for my project. He needs to be able to draw cute Heroines in anime Moe-style design, as well as being able to draw character artwork for my Black Male Protagonist, which must have curly hair, very dark skin, wears glasses and looks like an intelligent nerd who can fight well(Think of a Black and slightly muscular version of Bleach's Uryuu Ishida)and with Black facial features(His face can look somewhat similar to that one Black character named Hermes from Square Enix's Front Mission 4).

Among my 5 Romanceable Heroines, 3 of them will be White or European-looking girls(since my target consumer audience would be Americans and Europeans, as well as Japanese who would be interested since I'll be adding Japanese language version too only for the text ). Of the remaining 2, one of them would be a Black or dark-skinned girl, and the remaining would look like a Japanese girl with fiery red eyes, black hair and long ponytail wielding a Katana and wearing pitch-black tights with her school uniform's mini skirt. As for the 3 White Heroines, one of them would be an Ara-Ara type elder Senpai kind of girl who's older than the MC and loves to tease and flirt with the MC sexually, and she would have a hairstyle with braids tied around her head with long wavy hair flowing down to her butt. I'll tentatively name her Christine here. 

I have just finished the character design of one of the 3 "White" romanceable heroines in this VN project of mine that features a Black-looking Protagonist who is an individual from one of the fictional races in my VN's fantasy world, and this art was drawn using my own amateur art skills drawn with a mouse. She's not Christine but the Main Heroine, whose name is Mary Garson which you can see below. 

The story is set in a Magic Academy and Mary's primary weapon is her small size staff here which she can use like a wand to cast magic.
At close ranges, she can also fight hand-to-hand in unarmed martial arts and specializes in kicking techniques, which are useful when the enemy closes in on her. She is the sole daughter of Duke Carius Garson and heiress of the House of Garson.
As for her personality, she is the stoic and quiet type and rarely smiles, but very diligent in her studies at the Landhurst Royal Magic Academy.

She also feels somewhat of a huge pressure to perform well since her father demands of it as she would succeed her family's leadership position one day as a member of a noble house.
Therefore, once you as the player enters her Heroine Route, I would like to give players a huge catharsis once your relationship with her is that close to the point you can enjoy her smiles to you. She rarely smiles to anyone except those closest to her like her parents, so once you she falls in love with the player you will finally get to see her cute and refreshing smile more often.

She is 17 years old and is a first-year student at the Academy, which has up to 3 years of curricular material before graduating. After graduating they'll get a certificate of sorts which would allow them to get employed as a recruit in the Royal Mage Forces of the Landia Kingdom. Depending on their score upon graduation and their magic skills, they can easily rise up to officer level within just a few weeks upon enlisting. 

The Landian Kingdom is embroiled in territorial disputes with 2 neighbouring kingdoms, and has "Phantasmic Beasts" monsters to worry about, so they need all the mages they can muster for national defense.
Finally, I'd like to mention that I drew this one with a mouse so it looks a bit stiff the pose and the sketching process was quite slow, but I will try harder next time : )

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/WK5kZ3  

nenorblack-mary-garson.jpg?1617962429

This is another illustration of my OC, Mary Garson in a scene I want to write in my VN where she fights against the Protagonist in a duel.

nenorblack-mary-vs-protagonist.jpg?16190

I have yet to give my Protagonist a name, character design or background yet as I'll save that for later as it's harder for me to draw male characters at my current skill. I intend for this scene to take place around the time the Protag attends the Landhurt Royal Magic Academy during the first day. He was rushing to the school as he got up late, and when he was running through what at first seemed a deserted path leading to the academy gates,  he saw that there's also one girl who turned up late to walk to the school in front. She seemed to walk at a slow and almost nonchalant pace, so the Protag slowed down a bit to approach and greet her, but suddenly, he felt like as if someone pushed him from behind. Pushed by the invisible and undetectable "person", he unintentionally tripped and pushed Mary to the ground with which one of his hands accidentally grabbed her chest. 

Of course, the Protag tried to explain, but Mary being one of the daugthers of noble houses felt that her dignity as a lady has been defiled even by that accident, so she challenges him to a duel so she can have an excuse to beat him up real good to feel compensated for the accidental "hand on her....chest".  She also felt somewhat irked that the protagonist who groped her chest inadvertently in that accident seems like a commoner from one of the minority ethnicities of the kingdom, from the Kun'yapeh race, and while she doesn't feel any particular discriminatory feelings towards minorities nor care too much about differences of skin colors, she does feel somewhat bothered that a commoner regardless of his/her race would touch her in her private areas considering that she has not even had a male fiance from another equal noble house touching her yet. So accident or not, she just wants to set the record straight and teach MC a lesson in a duel. 

The plot point of who was the one who pushed the protagonist while invisible, would be revealed later as the story progresses. 

I changed her uniform to include long sleeves and other details. Since I have to draw with a mouse it really limits the speed and accuracy of my lines during the sketching process, so I am still unsatisfied of my stiff drawings. For this pose, I drew on my own using imagination as it is hard to find a relevant image that matches this one, and I also don't have a phone or recording device to capture myself doing this pose for reference.

6. Lead Project Adviser 
This position will help give me advice on specific details that need tweaking from all efforts made by the other staff members. 

7. Voice Actresses for all 5 Heroines and several other male characters.

That is all I can think of for now.
For Return On Investment ROI profits, I aim for it to be sold on Steam at a price of $60, and aim to sell a lot to break even and still earn so much profits beyond that, so the story and characters has to be that damn good to generate massive interest and publicity around it. The investors can take most of the profits along with the rest of all the staff members, and I am content to enjoy only around 5 percent of the total earnings.

Edited by Nenor5VB
Adding character design updates

Well, you say "something like this", as if it meant a relatively small-scale project, but you point to one of the highest-budget EVNs ever made. Also, take into consideration that even that game, or something like Love in Space's Shining Song Starnova with its tons of content and JP seiyuus, do not ask for $60. Bah, the Sorcery Jokers and Grisaia, which you mention at the beginning of your post, don't try to sell for $60 in the West despite the licensing and translation costs being likely comparable to producing a smaller VN from scratch.

Not saying this to hate on your idea or to discourage you, but realistically speaking, there are 2-3 studios in the West doing VN projects of this scale: PixelFade, Love in Space and Studio Elan. All three rely on years of experience and a loyal fanbase, along with regular crowdfunding to make it viable. VNs are still a very niche market and while a project this ambitious could work... It could just as easily turn into a disaster. particularly if you don't have experience in project management and a very good feel of the market. Be careful with this, particularly with the scale and associated costs, ambition tends to quickly run ahead of skills and resources at hand.

I would seriously recommend starting as small as possible, especially if you've never done anything like this before. There are tons of great and successful visual novels that were made by small teams. Trying to make a game of that scale when you don't have a shit ton of experience is a recipe for disaster. As someone who is biracial, I would love to see a VN like that someday, but please start small I'm begging you.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your feedback everyone  :D

I am at heart, a very shy and introverted person, so for me to create a thread like this seeking assistance from people to work with me on creating this VN is testament to the fact of how I can't wait anymore to play a game like this.

I think that Otaku of African descent would love to play a VN with a Male Protag that looks like them, sharing their skin tone or hairstyle, so I want to make this kind of game to offer them some form of powerful stress reliever especially for the shy types that can't get a girl in real life due to any reasons. 

Of course, people of non-African descent can relate to a Black protagonist too, just like how Black people can enjoy stories with a Japanese protagonist for all this time. 

I'd like to share and discuss more ideas on how to make this game a reality, so if anyone here's serious on helping me, please
PM me here or contact me via my email address here : [email protected]

• 3 weeks later...

I have just finished the character design of one of the 3 "White" romanceable heroines in this VN project of mine that features a Black-looking Protagonist who is an individual from one of the fictional races in my VN's fantasy world, and this art was drawn using my own amateur art skills drawn with a mouse.

Her name is Mary Garson which you can see below. The story is set in a Magic Academy and Mary's primary weapon is her small size staff here which she can use like a wand to cast magic.
At close ranges, she can also fight hand-to-hand in unarmed martial arts and specializes in kicking techniques, which are useful when the enemy closes in on her. She is the sole daughter of Duke Carius Garson and heiress of the House of Garson.
As for her personality, she is the stoic and quiet type and rarely smiles, but very diligent in her studies at the Landhurst Royal Magic Academy.

She also feels somewhat of a huge pressure to perform well since her father demands of it as she would succeed her family's leadership position one day as a member of a noble house.
Therefore, once you as the player enters her Heroine Route, I would like to give players a huge catharsis once your relationship with her is that close to the point you can enjoy her smiles to you. She rarely smiles to anyone except those closest to her like her parents, so once you she falls in love with the player you will finally get to see her cute and refreshing smile more often.

She is 17 years old and is a first-year student at the Academy, which has up to 3 years of curricular material before graduating. After graduating they'll get a certificate of sorts which would allow them to get employed as a recruit in the Royal Mage Forces of the Landia Kingdom. Depending on their score upon graduation and their magic skills, they can easily rise up to officer level within just a few weeks upon enlisting. 

The Landian Kingdom is embroiled in territorial disputes with 2 neighbouring kingdoms, and has "Phantasmic Beasts" monsters to worry about, so they need all the mages they can muster for national defense.
Finally, I'd like to mention that I drew this one with a mouse so it looks a bit stiff the pose and the sketching process was quite slow, but I will try harder next time : )

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/WK5kZ3  

mnenorblack-mary-garson.jpg?1617962429m,

• 2 weeks later...

This is another illustration of my OC, Mary Garson in a scene I want to write in my VN where she fights against the Protagonist in a duel.

nenorblack-mary-vs-protagonist.jpg?16190

I have yet to give my Protagonist a name, character design or background yet as I'll save that for later as it's harder for me to draw male characters at my current skill. I intend for this scene to take place around the time the Protag attends the Landhurt Royal Magic Academy during the first day. He was rushing to the school as he got up late, and when he was running through what at first seemed a deserted path leading to the academy gates,  he saw that there's also one girl who turned up late to walk to the school in front. She seemed to walk at a slow and almost nonchalant pace, so the Protag slowed down a bit to approach and greet her, but suddenly, he felt like as if someone pushed him from behind. Pushed by the invisible and undetectable "person", he unintentionally tripped and pushed Mary to the ground with which one of his hands accidentally grabbed her chest. 

Of course, the Protag tried to explain, but Mary being one of the daugthers of noble houses felt that her dignity as a lady has been defiled even by that accident, so she challenges him to a duel so she can have an excuse to beat him up real good to feel compensated for the accidental "hand on her....chest".  She also felt somewhat irked that the protagonist who groped her chest inadvertently in that accident seems like a commoner from one of the minority ethnicities of the kingdom, from the Kun'yapeh race, and while she doesn't feel any particular discriminatory feelings towards minorities nor care too much about differences of skin colors, she does feel somewhat bothered that a commoner regardless of his/her race would touch her in her private areas considering that she has not even had a male fiance from another equal noble house touching her yet. So accident or not, she just wants to set the record straight and teach MC a lesson in a duel. 

The plot point of who was the one who pushed the protagonist while invisible, would be revealed later as the story progresses. 

I changed her uniform to include long sleeves and other details. Since I have to draw with a mouse it really limits the speed and accuracy of my lines during the sketching process, so I am still unsatisfied of my stiff drawings. For this pose, I drew on my own using imagination as it is hard to find a relevant image that matches this one, and I also don't have a phone or recording device to capture myself doing this pose for reference.