Doukyuusei Remake Translation announced

adamstan

https://old.reddit.com/r/visualnovels/comments/lsp2vq/doukyuusei_remake_translation_announcement_by/

I'm mildly interested - although it might be too dating-simey for my taste. Main thing that attracted me to this game was PC98 pixel-art, but that is obviously gone in the remake, just like with YU-NO.

Edited by adamstan

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Late to mention here that we already have Doukyuusei Remake released, so if you've been waiting for it then you can get the VN from either Steam or Johren and have fun. Also just expect this as the old game, as in there's no much story for each of the heroines so don't expect nice heroines stories if you played Easy Mode. If anything else, it seems that the intended mode to play here is Classic Mode in which it's obviously the only available mode way back at 1992 with the necessity to use the walkthrough (After all back then there's a number of hard game that were available on SNES). That said though, I'll leave it to you which mode that you'll prefer and have fun.

PS - For the graphic while the remake one is nice enough, the older one is still serviceable to a degree although if I may say something YU-NO old graphic is better than Doukyuusei old graphic (I might be wrong on this).

PPS - From what I see in the writing, at least it can be said that it has some comedy there to say it easily.

Edited by littleshogun

I was a bit excited for this, but then I was put off after reading this:

"The script has been drastically rewritten compared to the original PC-98 release. This includes extensive revisions to the scenario, removing and cutting short some H-scenes, altering characters' personalities and physical parameters and changing endings. A lot of potentially sensitive lines were removed or softened, with the stated reason being to fit the ethics of the time and for removal of "ethically problematic parts". Examples include heavily cutting down on sexual jokes and alcohol references, and changing the endings for the heroines to be more light-hearted than the original."

I wouldn't mind them cutting out h-scenes, but it seems like this release is quite heavily censored/altered in other regards as well, even in the 18+ version. I haven't played the original game so I wouldn't really know what it's supposed to be like and thus most likely wouldn't realize what has actually been censored/altered, but just the knowledge that it has happened kinda annoys me and makes me not want to buy the product.

2 hours ago, Seraphim said:

I wouldn't mind them cutting out h-scenes, but it seems like this release is quite heavily censored/altered in other regards as well, even in the 18+ version. I haven't played the original game so I wouldn't really know what it's supposed to be like and thus most likely wouldn't realize what has actually been censored/altered, but just the knowledge that it has happened kinda annoys me and makes me not want to buy the product.

It's also worth noting, that all those alterations were made already in 1999 for the Windows remake, and current version is just remaster of that edition - it isn't something enforced by Steam ;)

In case you want to know about the censorship (So-called) that happen in Doukyuusei Remake, one of 4chan user did compile several of it (You can view the screenshot here). That said though if you already decided to not buy it because of the censorship then so be it, although if anything else at least this time the developer themselves not react aggressively like Laplacian one (Granted though that Shiravune here is far more capable and have enough capital to operate unlike Sol Press so that the developer didn't need to be angry in regard of not receiving the payment, and it help that both of the developer and Shiravune are under one group).

Edited by littleshogun

14 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

So thats why they delayed it.

No, it's not ;) The "censorship" was already done by Elf (original developer) for Windows version in 1999 - current version is just a remaster (and translation) of that version. The only "uncensored" version is 1992 one - available for PC98 and MS-DOS.

(On the other hand, it seems that after all they indeed spend lots of rather pointless efforts to make yet another more censored "all-ages" version for Steam - honestly, being all-ages junkie that I am, I can't imagine the game with the premise like Doukyuusei working well as an all-ages title. It's one of those games that seem to be projected as an eroge right from the start. Same with, for example, True Love)

But my interest for this game also dropped significantly - it seems that either version is too much dating sim and too little VN for my taste.

Nevertheless, it seems that Steam version is quite gutted and can be used only as a base to apply adult patch ;)

Edited by adamstan