Should I avoid games by Key?

AngstyNarrator

I keep hearing other people describe Clannad and stuff as "melodramatic teenage drama where high schoolers cry about petty shit".

Now I have no problems with drama or nakiges but I'm worried that the writing might be too cringey and annoyingly kitsch.

Can anyone here tell me their stance on how well executed the drama in Key games are?

Well I mean, KEY is popular because of its drama. But it wont be for everyone.

Might as well try Clannad, it's the most well-known KEY VN

Or try Planetarian for a very short experience to dip your toes in but will give you an idea on how the writer exectues things

Edited by NowItsAngeTime

40 minutes ago, NowItsAngeTime said:

Well I mean, KEY is popular because of its drama. But it wont be for everyone.

Might as well try Clannad, it's the most well-known KEY VN

Or try Planetarian for a very short experience to dip your toes in but will give you an idea on how the writer exectues things

I'll definitely play Planetarian then and see what's up.

What's your own opinion on the drama in Key games? Do you enjoy it? 

1 minute ago, AngstyNarrator said:

I'll definitely play Planetarian then and see what's up.

What's your own opinion on the drama in Key games? Do you enjoy it? 

I generally enjoy them. Sometimes it does go a bit over the top but there are genuine issues in there that are interesting.

My personal favorite KEY work is Kanon (their first title). I mean this as a huge fan of Kanon when I say that you should probably watch the 2006 anime adaptation of Kanon instead of diving into the VN. In general I think its a good introduction to KEY. For one, every major work of KEY has mostly been derivative of Kanon (and ONE, which is a VN many of the founding staff of KEY made for another company). So if you like Kanon, its safe to say you will like their other stuff. 

The reason I recommend the 2006 anime, is because it hits all the high notes of the original VN, but cuts a lot of the fat. This is one of those few cases where not only is the anime adaptation good, but arguably (at least in my opinion) a bit better than the source material. It is also only 26 episodes long, compared to Clannad's anime which in total is 52+ episodes long. And the real core of Clannad is really in the last quarter. So if you don't want to invest in a huge VN to first dip your toes with KEY, this is what I personally would recommend. Planetarian as others have been recommending is also a fantastic starting place. 

With KEY I actually went backwards. At first I was turned off by character design in their older works, so I started with LittleBusters. I loved it, so then I played Clannad. I think that thanks to it I got gradually used to old KEY's art style, and then I was ready for Kanon, AIR and ONE :) Planetarian and Summer Pockets were also very good. But for some reason I have almost no interest in Rewrite...

On 2/25/2021 at 8:41 AM, Stormwolf said:

One thing is for damn sure. The main scenario of clannad would break even the hardest of men. It stops being petty things after a point.

I'm not a man so maybe that's why I didn't cry /s jokes aside, Clannad wasn't all that imo but maybe that's just me, since they always focus on family in one way or another

15 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

Honestly though, i havent read the VN, only watched the anime. So i dont know how good the delivery is in the vn. 

I haven't fully watched the anime, only little bits on youtube, but the vn is waaaaay more dragged and idk, maybe it's just me, but KyoAni makes everything more emotional T.T

5 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

They certainly did right by Clannad. Afaik people even praise the adaptation for being very faithful. Was a very emotional ride towards the ending, and some manly tears were definitely shed.

I've heard it is very good for Nagisa's route but the others were kinda neglected, which is a shame, since Nagisa is the girl I like the least lol

5 hours ago, Fujoneko said:

I've heard it is very good for Nagisa's route but the others were kinda neglected, which is a shame, since Nagisa is the girl I like the least lol

Well Nagisa was the true heroine so they did the right thing overall. An adaptation should always go the true route imo

On 2/28/2021 at 4:53 AM, Stormwolf said:

Well Nagisa was the true heroine so they did the right thing overall. An adaptation should always go the true route imo

Fair enough. I wish they also made spin offs to the other routes. I think they did that to Kyou and Tomoyo? I think they adapted Kotomi's very superficially and  barely touched Yukine's route :(

4 hours ago, Fujoneko said:

Fair enough. I wish they also made spin offs to the other routes. I think they did that to Kyou and Tomoyo? I think they adapted Kotomi's very superficially and  barely touched Yukine's route :(

On the other hand it makes for a great reason to read the vn if you get hooked and want to see the different routes:D