patch.xp3 structure

Hey folks,

I'm trying to do a translation of a simple Dieselmine nukige.  After translating the first few lines of text I tried to make a patch to confirm that it would work.  The game launches fine, but the text is still the original Japanese and there's no indication that the patch is even being used.

The game data is in a single data.xp3 file, which has a subdirectory called /scenario containing the scripts. My patch.xp3 made in Garbro contains just a /scenario directory with the one .ks file I modified.  Should that be enough for the game to read my changes?  I just put the patch.xp3 in the game directory alongside the data.xp3 and the executable.  Is there anything else you're supposed to do?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Assuming the game supports patch files at all, try putting the files into the patch.xp3 without subdirectories. Counterintuitively, Kirikiri has an internal file table and knows which patch files it needs to overwrite.

If that doesn't work, you might need to extract all files and get the game to load from the extracted data directory instead. That's how the Violated Hero series was translated, also older Dieselmine games. You need to get madCHook.dll and kikiriki.exe, see how Dargoth did it.

26 minutes ago, Joshiben said:

Assuming the game supports patch files at all, try putting the files into the patch.xp3 without subdirectories. Counterintuitively, Kirikiri has an internal file table and knows which patch files it needs to overwrite.

Looks like this was the issue.  I tried a patch without the subdirectory (after finagling a way around the Garbro bug that blocks you from adding files without directories) and it worked.  Thanks for the help!